Start by marking “Francis Scott Key and "The Star Spangled Banner"” as Want to Read:
Francis Scott Key and "The Star Spangled Banner"

Francis Scott Key and "The Star Spangled Banner"

Book by Bowdish, Lynea, Burman, Harry
Published September 1st 2002 by Mondo Pub

To ask other readers questions about Francis Scott Key and "The Star Spangled Banner", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Francis Scott Key and "The Star Spangled Banner"

Megan Nelson
Feb 02, 2016 Megan Nelson rated it really liked it
Francis Scott Key was a lawyer from Maryland, but he also liked to write poems. In 1814, during the War of 1812, the British invaded Washington, D.C. and burned the White House and Capitol building. The British were going to attack Baltimore next, and they had prisoner one of Francis's friends, Dr. William Beanes (who helped treat wounded British soldiers). Francis wanted the British to set Dr. Beanes free, so he boarded the ship to convince them to let him go. The British agreed to let Dr. ...more
Brittany Martin
Apr 21, 2016 Brittany Martin rated it it was amazing
Francis Scott Key was a lawyer who like to write poetry. During the war of 1812, it looked as if the United States might lose the war. Dr. William Beanes attempted to help soldiers who became hurt in battles, including the British soldiers that were taken captive. Francis Scott Key bravely approached a British ship in hopes to negotiate the release of Dr. Beanes. The British agreed to let the men go after they attacked Baltimore. The two men waited on the ship as they watched the Americans and ...more
Cc Fortenberry
The book is about Francis Scott Key writing the Star Spangled Banner. During the War of 1812, the U.S. was fighting the British and Key's friend Dr. William Beanes was imprisoned on a British ship off the coast of Baltimore. Key went to the British ships to plea for Dr. Beanes freedom and ended up watching the Battle of Fort McHenry from the enemy's boats. At sunrise, he saw the American flag emerge from the smoke and wrote what we now know as our national anthem.

I didn't really like this book.
Mistiemae1 Downs
Jul 10, 2012 Mistiemae1 Downs rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Francis Scott Key and "The Star Spangled Banner" is a brief, fact-based narrative of the birth of the United States national anthem. The text is minimal and mostly informative without a lot of nationalism to bog it down. Refreshing, actually. I was very appreciative that the author did not overly heroize Francis Scott Key.

I will say, though, that if historic figures would like the children of the future to take them seriously, they should probably not have names like "Dr. Beanes." ;) My kids cou
Mikayla Baker
Apr 14, 2016 Mikayla Baker rated it it was amazing
This book is about how we got our National Anthem in the United States. Francis Scott Key wrote the song as a poem after watching the battle at Fort McHenry. It was then printed in the newspaper in Baltimore. Everyone then began singing it and eventually it became our National Anthem.
I really liked this book. I like the illustrations and how only certain times you could make out the expressions on people's faces.
This book would be good to read when talking about the War of 1812 or even when yo
Savanna Grace
This book tells what happened when our national anthem was written. It tells the words of the song, which are often mispronounced, and it tells about how Francis Scott Key was on board of the British ship watching the war go on. It's important to know about our country's history, and the national anthem is one area that should be taught to children in an effort to instill national pride.
Matthew
Jul 04, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
This is the third picture book biography I've read on this subject this month and this is by far the most basic. The limited text allows this version to be shared with a primary grade classroom. This is definitely a book well targeted at younger readers. It has all the important points without getting too bogged down with anecdotal information. It picks out what's important and zeroes in on it.
Diane
Mar 25, 2008 Diane rated it it was amazing
I never knew WHEN the Star Spangled Banner was written. This was a great picture book and very informative in a brief and to the point style.
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Brittany Ferguson
Brittany Ferguson rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Ali.
Ali. marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014