Start by marking “And Four to Go (Nero Wolfe #30)” as Want to Read:
And Four to Go (Nero Wolfe #30)

And Four to Go (Nero Wolfe #30)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,132 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Embark with Nero Wolfe on a year of murder & mystery. It begins at Christmas with a party & a poisoning, then blossoms into spring & sudden death at the Easter parade. The Fourth of July is no picnic, & as for the Fall, the calendar is overbooked. Four cunning cases to keep readers guessing.
Published November 1st 1992 by Crimeline (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about And Four to Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Four to Go

Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha ChristieThe Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha ChristieCupcakes, Paws, and Bad Santa Claus by Pamela DuMondI Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan BradleyThe Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers
Christmas Mysteries
41st out of 235 books — 88 voters
Revolutionary Road by Richard YatesThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeBreakfast at Tiffany's by Truman CapoteThe Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Retro Reads
88th out of 142 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronnie Justice
If you haven't read Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe you should. If you have there is no need to keep reading this review.

Stout's work spans decades and reviewing each Nero Wolfe story is a little unnecessary and I intend to publish this same review as I finish the volume it appears with.

First, they all hinge on the amiable narration of Archie Goodwin, Wolfe's assistant. Second, Wolfe rarely leaves his house. Third, the mysteries are usually solved not by chance or obscure knowledge of some hideous poiso
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Four short stories, three with a holiday theme (Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July), all from the 1950s.

I think I liked "Christmas Party" best.
Jessi
This book has four novellas, three of which are centered around a holiday theme.
"Christmas Party" is one of the stories that was transformed wonderfully in the Tim Hutton television series. Archie goes to an office party and one of the bosses ends up dead, apparently killed by Santa Claus. Though Archie should be in the clear, his history with the police makes him somewhat of a suspect. It's up to Nero Wolfe to help solve the case.
"Easter Parade" focuses on Wolfe's orchid obsession. Archie is s
Alexis Neal
This one's a rare four-story collection of holiday homicides.

The collection kicks off with 'Christmas Party', wherein Wolfe himself--in an effort to investigate the depth of Archie's commitment to a particular female--bartends a Christmas party. In disguise. As Santa Claus. When the host drops dead from cyanide poisoning, Wolfe skedaddles, but the police are understandably suspicious of the mysterious unknown Santa-bartender who vanished immediately following the murder. The only way to keep the
Adam Graham
What could be better than the numerous Nero Wolfe books including three Novellas? How about one featuring four? Well, it doesn't quite work out that way, but there are still some worthwhile stories in the lot:

"The Christmas Party"

Archie connives to get a fake wedding license for a dancing partner who wants her to boss to marry her. The boss is being stubborn so Archie gets a fake marriage license blank with both their names on it to force the issue.

When Wolfe starts to get bossy and unreasonabl
Nan Silvernail
Four mysteries for Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin that take up through the seasons, if we count the last as a Fall Fashion Week adventure.

Christmas Party - Wolfe wants to go see an English orchid specialist and has a problem. Archie has had a date set to go to a Christmas party for two weeks and won't break it. Worse, Archie produces a marriage license and says he cannot break the date because he is to meet his fiancee, Margot Dickey at the party! Wolfe may have to venture out onto the perils of
Bev Hankins
And Four to Go by Rex Stout showcases Stout's ability to master that difficulty medium, the mystery short story. Even the best writers sometimes have difficulty creating a successful whodunit in the shortened form. It's a challenge to give enough character development and plot detail to set up the mystery, and it's especially difficult if the author is going to try to play fair with the clues. These four stories show that not only could Stout give the reader brilliant novel-length mysteries, he ...more
Megan
Nero Wolfe is my favorite detective, Archie Goodwin my favorite sidekick and Rex Stout my favorite detective author. This is a compilation of 4 short mysteries, all ending, of course, with the suspect gathered in Wolfe's study, sitting in the red snd yellow chairs and falling for his trickery. I listened to this one on audiobook and just loved it. It's racist, sexist and all around something I shouldn't love but I can't help myself.
David Miller
Usually the Nero Wolfe short-story compendiums have 3 stories... this one has 4. Stout makes everything look so effortless and easy! We learn more of both Wolfe's and Archie's pre-histories, like when Wolfe arrived in America and setup shop as a private detective (1930) and how Archie got his job (was recommended for a chore Wolfe needed done, did good, and stayed on).
Samantha Flaum
Meh. While it's hard to say a Rex Stout book is bad, it's easy to say this one left me wanting more. As usual, they were interesting, thought-provoking mysteries, but they were too compact. It seemed like some crummy excuse lead Wolfe to solve the case each time, in such condensed circumstances. I prefer more detail.
Tiina
Four short stories, each a murder mystery featuring the genius Nero Wolfe and his assistant Archie Goodwin. Perfect little mysteries all of them, not simple at all even though short. Wonderful to read! I had never read any of the stories before, so this was doubly enjoyable!
Logan
Four short stories in the Nero Wolfe canon. None of them are particularly brilliant (there just isn't the time to develop much besides a pseudo deus ex machina solution) but all are enjoyable due to the cast.
David Monroe
I'm not a big fan of Stout's Wolfe short stories. Stout excelled at ambiance and characterization. His short stories tend to limit those qualities. If you like other Wolfe media, these stories served perfectly for adaptations to radio and television. Check out the early 1950s Nero Wolfe radio plays with Sydney Greenstreet or the harder to find 1982 Nero Wolfe radio plays by the CBC. The 2000 - 2002 A&E series with Tim Hutton and Maury Chaykin adapted several of the shorts, including two from ...more
Rick
I give this collection only four stars because three of the stories in it are ordinary by Stout's standards (which is to say still better than most), but the first story, "Christmas Party," is one of his best. From the very opening scene, in which Archie decides to teach Wolfe a lesson that leads to disatrous consecuences, the relationship between the two men (always the most interesting facet of the stories) is at the forefront. Also spicing this one up is the presence of Chery Quon, for my mon ...more
John
Excellent collection of four novellas, three of which are centered around holidays, the first, 'Christmas Party' being the best. Stout makes it all look effortless.
Matthew Henry
wonderful

Rex stout as Mr. Stout always writes. Worthy of your time. How can you not enjoy it as you enter into the world of Wolfe and Goodwin.
Tom
Good stuff, but I prefer the full-length books to these novellas.
Peggy
The more Nero Wolfe books I read, the more I like them. I adore Archie and his snappy narration. Yes some it is dated, but to me that's part of the charm. This is a collection of 4 short stories that (mostly) go by seasons - the first story takes place at Christmas, the second at Easter, the third on the 4th of July, and the fourth, well, it seems to be stuck on the end with no reference to season or holiday. But, no matter, they are fun to read, and since they are unrelated to each other, you c ...more
Shmuel Ben-Gad
Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries hearken back to Poe and Doyle in that the tales ar of an eccentric genius detective and narrated by his sidekick. Stout's Archie Goodwin, though ,is a stronger (and much wittier) presence than most other Watsons. This is a collection of four novellas and is not a bad place to become introduced to the Wolfe and Goodwin canon. These are not fair play puzzles (which is my favorite type of detective story)--indeed none of the Nero Wolfe tales I have yet read are--but ...more
John
Dec 30, 2013 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: wolfe
All four short story/novellas are really good. Wolfe transitions to a shorter form better than I world have thought. Since they are so much shorter, Stout cut out some of the dialogue between Wolfe and Archie which is usually my favorite part of any Wolfe book. However, the plot of each story is great and I definitely recommend reading the stories. I read them all together as one book and did not grow tired of them. I rank the four as follows:
1. Easter Parade
2. Christmas Party
3. Fourth of July P
Luke Meehan
Stout at his reliable 'best'. I guess. Hell, I don't really remember who was who or who did what to whom in this book. But I liked it. I'm sure that reflects pporly on me, but it should be only held as complimentary to Stout's - admittedly formulaic - ability to roughly stir a bunch of stereotypes into an engaging mystery.
Jason
SHort stories are always iffy-it takes great skill to write one well, which is why I like reading them. Rex Stout is a master!
Brenda Margriet
Not sure whether I've read this before. I know I've read both versions of "Murder is No Joke", where Archie and Nero are on the phone when a woman at a fashion house is murdered, but "Easter Parade", where a woman is killed by strychnine on a needle as she leaves a church on Easter morning was definitely new.

It was great to visit Nero and Archie again, but I do prefer the novels. Novellas are just over too soon!
Jim
This was 4 Nero Wolfe Novellas, the longest being about 70 pages. They were actually pretty good, although I am not a big fan of the novella format. The first one I had read before (or maybe it was made into a tv show, but I had forgotten whodunit. I think my biggest problem with the format is that the stories come to a more abrupt ending. Still, it was fun and I have always enjoyed Nero Wolfe stories.
Brenda Mengeling
A set of four holiday themed mysteries featuring Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. As Wolfe would say, "Satisfactory." That's excellent to you and me.
Vicki Cline
This is another collection of novellas, with four instead of the usual three. These were pretty good, especially the first one, which has a delightful twist I maybe should have suspected. In the first three, Archie just happens to be present at a murder, with Wolfe also there for the third. So they don't have clients per se, just need to get themselves out of a jam.
Ed
Nero Wolfe series - 4 novellas: Christmas Party originally published in Collier's as The Christmas Party Murder; Easter Parade published in Look as The Easter Parade Murder; Fourth of July Picnic published in Look as The Labor Union Murder; and, Murder Is No Joke published in The Saturday Evening Post in a different version.
Lisa Kucharski
Wolfe gets himself into several jams here, and to get himself out he has to solve the murder! I haven't come across anyone as good as Stout for short fiction, specifically- mystery. He is a master at this. Of course, the characters you meet here are interesting. (and some of them are murderers too)
Judy
Four novellas featuring Nero Wolfe and hi wisecracking assistant Archie Goodwin. Three of the novellas feature holidays--Christmas, Easter, and the Fourth of July. The fourth takes place in a courturier's salon where, of course, every day is a holiday. A perfect book for poolside reading.
Rachel
Zowie! I am definitely going to read more Nero Wolfe mysteries. The relationship between Wolfe (brilliant orchid-cultivating gourmand) and his live-in right hand man Archie Goodwin actually keeps you turning the pages more than the mystery being cleverly solved.
  • The Last Coincidence (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe)
  • Time to Murder and Create (Matthew Scudder, #2)
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • Backflash (Parker, #18)
  • A Rumpole Christmas: Stories
  • The Case Of The Crying Swallow: A Perry Mason Novelette And Other Stories
  • Pale Kings And Princes (Spenser, #14)
  • The Dain Curse
  • Pale Gray for Guilt (Travis McGee #9)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)