Start by marking “Murder in Clichy (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #5)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Clichy (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #5)

Murder in Clichy (Aimee Leduc Investigations #5)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Aimée Leduc, private investigator specializing in computer security, has been introduced to the Cao Dai temple in Paris by her partner René Friant. He urges her to learn to meditate: she could use a more healthful approach to life. The Vietnamese nun Linh has been helping Aimée to attain her goal, so when she asks Aimée for a favor—to go to the Clichy quartier to exchange ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Soho Crime (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Clichy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Clichy

Lewis Weinstein
Aimee Leduc gets in more trouble in a page and a half than any other character I can remember. You keep saying, "Aimee, don't do that. It's too dangerous." But she always plunges through a dark passageway, climbs a wall, slides down the garbage chute, hangs from a bridge, or attacks killers when armed only with aerosolized Chanel #5. There is no down time, except for Black's glorious descriptions of Paris, and who would call that down time.

Yet the book is not perfect. I found it absolutely impos
Terri Lynn
This is the fifth Aimee Leduc mystery by Cara Black that I have read and I have already got the rest of the series here waiting to be read.

In the last book, Aimee had been injured and left temporarily blind. When this new book begins, she is at a Cao Dai Temple with her business partner the computer genius dwarf Rene Friant. He is trying to help her lead a more calm life and has encouraged her, with the help of Vietnamese nun Linh, to learn to meditate.

Aimee needs SOMETHING to help her calm do
Nancy
As an avid mystery fan, I relish finding a new series to explore (if one book is good, ten or twenty more might await me!). So, I held out great hope for Black's young Parisian detective, Aimee Leduc.

The one-sentence raves quoted on the book's cover heightened my expectations, but something just didn't click for me. The plot was very complex and I'll confess that I hadn't sorted out who the characters were as I reached the book's final pages. Maybe I wasn't an attentive reader, but I never was e
Celeste Miller
Jul 11, 2007 Celeste Miller rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: american francophiles
I approached this book with skepticism after stumbling upon it while shelving books at my volunteer job at the Multnomah County Library (it's practice -- I'm going to library school next fall. YAY NERDS!), and I was pleasantly surprised. After my initial snarky reaction to reading the book jacket -- an American? Writing a mystery novel set in France? With a (half) French heroine? Oh, ce n'est pas vrai! Quel horreur!

But actually, it was quite enjoyable. Fast-paced, engaging, with (mostly) believa
Concetta
Loved it! Another murder mystery in Paris. I could see, taste, hear and smell everywhere Aimee went. C. Black knows how to weave a mystery that keeps my attention. I had to finish reading this one in my car in the park/ride this evening before I could drive home!
Julie H.
Not having book #4 ready at hand, I boldly skipped ahead to Murder in Clichy, With the exception of two significant plot develoopments in my absence, jumping in a book ahead didn't prove too bad an idea.

Holy cow--Rene has a last name. Finally! I was growing very weary of him simply being introduced as "Rene the dwarf" as he crossed our path for the first time in each book. Such treatment seemed equally as insensitive as the barbs and physical abuse so frequently lobbed his way by many of the ba
Elli
Enjoyable and worthwhile. All the Aimee Leduc mysteries have a certain recurring theme of Aimee trying to find out more about her lost parents and each new mystery provides another clue. Radical movements of another time; how deep was each parent involved? Her mother simply disappeared one day when she was a small child, but there is some concern about details, and is she alive? This one has given a clue through another old acquaintance of her father's offering potentially more about his life an ...more
J
BEWARE of spoilers. I don't hide my reviews, but I don't promote them, either.

This was my second installment of Aimee Leduc. (I'm reading them out of order).

Nice interplay between private eye Aimee and her business partner, a dwarf who has the hots for Aimee, but sublimates because he cares for her so much. This time, the action revolves around people either of Indochine origin or descent, and white Frenchmen who have a connection to the former colony.

Sometimes Black is a little too cryptic for
Don Weston
I read this for my Mystery Book group and I'd have to say Skip It. The twelve people in our group were all disappointed and confused. A couple of fans were shaking their heads.

I was afraid I was the only one who didn't like it. When I read reviews online there were two camps: Those that hated it saying it needed major revisions and those who loved it because of the Paris environs. My feeling: If you want Paris, save your money on this book for a trip there.

Started out good for a while but there
Kristen
Maybe I need more female friends, but LeDuc is starting to grow on me and I missed her the other day and thought about getting the next book in the series just to see what she is up to now. And I am not a crazy cat lady yet, so I'd like to claim that the way the character was written--consistent, with some interesting interior dialog--which has created this sense of familiarity and longing. Or maybe it is the dearth of female lead characters who have a strong point of view which rated three star ...more
LJ
MURDER IN CLICHY (Private Investigator-Paris-1990s) – Ok
Black, Cara – 5th in series
SOHO, 2005- Hardcover
Aimée Leduc is a Paris computer security expert with a partner, René. Aimee agrees to do a favor for a Vietnamese nun and deliver an envelope to Thadée Baret. Thadée gives Aimée a bag of precious jade. Thadée is then gunned down and René kidnapped with the jade being the required ransom. When a government surveillance team threatens Aimée, she knows someone more is involved than just the jade.
Phoebe
This was a good installment. As usual, the geographical, historical and cultural insights into Parisian life are interesting. This book reminds us of the French colonization of Vietnam and the effects of the Vietnam war beyond our US borders. How Aimee and Rene get involved in this particular storyline at the start is somewhat questionable but good enough. Guy isn't as attractive to me in this one as he is in the last.

Aimee is the type of character who has these amazing, violent experiences mor
Catherine  Mustread
Indo-China war vets, missing and valuable jade, politics, and murder--and the accidental involvement of Aimee in several different aspects, made this fifth book in the Aimee LudecInvestigations series an exciting page-turner. In an attempt to keep the characters straight, I made a list as new characters were introduced (30+) as Black tends to change narrators and offer different points of view. Glad that I did as many of the characters were interconnected, and one of the clues involved an unname ...more
Donna
Aimee and Rene are back in the 5th in this series and Paris again comes alive in this complex mystery set in the Clichy neighborhood. French involvement in Indochina may have been decades ago but old crimes resurface and valuable historic jade is the prize. Absolutely everyone wants the missing jade – Indochina war veterans, the French secret service, wealthy ex-colonials, drug runners, and international oil companies – and Aimee reluctantly but desperately must find it.

Readers new to the serie
Monty
I really enjoyed reading this book, maybe a little more than the others in the series so far. I think I am getting to know Aimee Leduc better in each book and I am liking how, in spite of her being brilliant, she has so many human frailties. As usual, there are many characters, an evolving story line, poorly matched love life, needing to heal from injuries from the last book, getting new injuries in this book, and more. There is a map of the Clichy district in Paris in the front of the book. I h ...more
Sharon
I only have the odd-numbered books in the series, but I didn't feel too disjointed, despite the occasional references to the previous story. For someone who's supposed to be taking things easy, Aimée sure gets into some hot water. This one was replete with drug dealers and users and even kidnapping. An uneven love story and multiple suspects were almost too distracting, but I will most likely finish the series.
Soho Press
The fifth installment in the Aimee Leduc mystery series, set in Paris. In this book, Aimee is trying to do a favor for a Vietnamese nun at the Buddhist temple where she's learning to meditate when she ends up with a priceless cache of jade that a lot of dangerous people seem to want. I love this book because of the post-colonial themes in it.
Joan
Best installment yet in Aimee Leduc's courageous escapades. The light comic breaks and romantic interludes round out this page turning mystery. I think I'm picking up a little French too.
Rebecca
I love this series. Sure, there are too many things going on and maybe the characters aren't that well developed but I still can't put them down!
Catherine Woodman
Aimee Leduc is a complex character who almost seems to swirl in these books--they are very atmospherically written and wonderful to read
JulieLaLa
This was my first (and I can assuredly state, last) "Murder in" by Cara Black. There was nothing so engaging in this story to make me care: not the murder, none of the characters, the backstory of the death of Aimee's father, nothing. There were too many competing characters that weren't well-developed - all they did was become muddled in my brain. And I can see that, if I were to continue reading this series, I'd get tired/bored/angry about the constant repetition about Aimee's history (there w ...more
Jesse Rhines
Aimee Leduc, daughter of a private eye and a Paris PI herself, finds herself accused of the murder of a drug user over a collection of ancient Vietnamese jade astrological figurines looted by French colonial soldiers in the disastrous 1954 battle of Dien Bien Phu. Leduc has been charged by a Vietnamese nun to find and return the jade to the temple that claims to be the rightful owner. As the story unfolded, I found myself lost in lush, detailed descriptions of a rain soaked Paris where everythin ...more
Nancy

Spirited Aimée Leduc, a private investigator based in Paris, has been introduced to the Cao Dai temple by her partner, René, who urges her to learn to meditate as a counterbalance to her frenetic lifestyle. A Vietnamese nun asks her for a favor—to hand over a check and bring a package back to the temple. But this act of kindness ends in a stranger’s death and leaves her with a bullet wound in the arm, a check for 50,000 francs and a trove of ancient jade artifacts whose provenance is a mystery.

T
Linda
November 2013:

I read Murder in Clichy in 2008? For some reason it didn't show up on my "already read" section and when I saw it in the local library (not my local library, but a local where-I-am-now-library)I thought, "Aha!"

Read again last night, honestly didn't remember it from the first time although ... five years ... maybe I can be forgiven. Same rating and this time I'll write a note. I love Cara Black novels - they take me back to Paris, a city I adore. I've read some of the Aimee Leduc r
Mardie
A friend of mine recommended these books to me a couple of years ago. I am just now getting around to reading them. In this volume it has suddenly hit me. These are French Nancy Drews for adults. Don't get me wrong. I loved Nancy Drew when I was in elementary school and was even following them when I got to high school more because I am probably a little obsessive compulsive than because I really enjoyed reading them. But there it is. This half American, half French young woman is very much in t ...more
Cynthia
Meh--I really had high hopes after book four showed some serious growth in Amiee. Instead this book gave us more of the same as the first three books: Amiee is still broke, still struggles to quit smoking, still 'inexplicably' finds herself sucked into murder and international intrigue, still running on cobblestones in heels.

I suspected who-done-it from the start and was right (and I'm not that great at solving the crimes).

Once again the rich and powerful are all corrupt, except the few people
Esonja
This book is fast-paced and fairly entertaining, but not really my thing. Its center is a detective in fishnets and heels at the center of a murder mystery around stolen jade. It is set in Paris, with reference to Vietnam and China. Our protagonist's boy troubles didn't grab my interest--the best parts are when we are following her dwarf business partner, or the junkie niece of a dead man. But those were short parts. I did not follow all the characters all the time, and was not too interested in ...more
Zoe
There are some things I have just come to accept about this series, and the fast pace and action are one of them. The other is that Black will introduce too many characters for me to keep track of, so figuring out who (of the 5 to 7 people) is after the ancient jade in this mystery was a bit difficult. That said, I always learn something not only about Paris, but about the history of France (in this one, the Indochina conflict) when I read these things. LeDuc's personal life moves at a snails pa ...more
Sharon
Aimée Leduc has promised her handsome doctor boyfriend that she'll take it easy. She's determined to stick with computer security, and has even taken up meditation at the local Cao Dai center. That's where she meets Linh, a Buddhist nun, who asks her to take a letter to a friend. That friend will, in turn, give Aimée a package for Linh.

It sounds simple enough, but pretty soon Aimée and Leduc Detective are embroiled in a political battle that goes all the way back to the days of Indochina.

The act
Maria
French chick lit. Disappointing. Will not be reading further in the series. Mlle Leduc too facile, too many characters, development too confusing. I get the impression that the author had to turn out another title so she could deduct trip to Paris as business expense. Too bad.
  • The Floating Girl
  • The Fourth Sacrifice (China Thrillers, #2)
  • Death's Door  (Special X, #9)
  • The Messengers of Death
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • The Rhythm Section
  • The Corpse on the Dike
  • The Cutout
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • Tracking Time (April Woo, #6)
  • Cold Justice (Kali O'Brien, #5)
  • Mesmerized
  • The Bird Yard
  • Dervish is Digital (Artificial Reality Division, #2)
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Sex & Love in the City of Light
  • The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse (Gumshoe, #1)
  • Retreat from Love
Cara Black frequents a Paris little known outside the beaten tourist track. A Paris she discovers on research trips and interviews with French police, private detectives and café owners. She lives in San Francisco with her husband, a bookseller, and their teenage son. She is a San Francisco Library Laureate and a member of the Paris Sociéte Historique in the Marais. Her nationally bestselling and ...more
More about Cara Black...

Aimee Leduc Investigations (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murder in the Marais (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #1)
  • Murder in Belleville (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #2)
  • Murder in the Sentier (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #3)
  • Murder in the Bastille (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #4)
  • Murder in Montmartre (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #6)
  • Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)
  • Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #8)
  • Murder in the Latin Quarter (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #9)
  • Murder in the Palais Royal (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #10)
  • Murder in Passy (Aimee Leduc Investigations #11)
Murder in the Marais (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #1) Murder in Belleville (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #2) Murder in the Sentier (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #3) Murder in the Bastille (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #4) Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)