Keeping a Princess Heart: In a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World

Keeping a Princess Heart: In a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  19 reviews
How can a woman live with hope . . . in the midst of reality?

You were once a little girl, dreaming of "happily ever after" like a fairy-tale princess. But unlike the fantasy world of Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella, reality has hit you hard.

Living in the not-so-fairy-tale world of laundry, kids, carpools, and your sometimes not-so-charming prince, you wonder how your heart w...more
Published June 19th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping a Princess Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping a Princess Heart

Lisa Belcastro
Wonderful book, reminding every women that she is loved by the King, and that happily ever after DOES exist in God's love. I started this book on Saturday afternoon on a plane flight. I couldn't put it down. Nicole Johnson's words touched my heart, and gave me hope. The premise of happily ever after has taken a beaten in our broken world. Nicole writes about the truth of fairytales, the pitfalls that can trip us up, and the reality that God's love is the greatest gift to every woman and where we...more
Amanda
As little girls, we loved fairy tales. Once we reach big-girl status, we've either decided that fairy tales are entertaining, but ridiculous, or that there is a prince and a perfect life out there "somewhere" if we could just get past all the frogs. In Keeping a Princess Heart in a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World, Nicole Johnson tells us that fairy tales are essential. We are worthy of love and attention, and there is nothing wrong with believing that. We are daughters of the King, so we are Princesses....more
Becky
A good inspirational reminder to keep your focus on how God sees you instead of how the world sees you. Not much depth or any real advice about how to do this from day to day. The theology is sound. I believe this book could be read by many different denominations within the Christian community.
Leah
It's time to revisit this book...let the reread begin!

Well, the second time around, I still really liked this book. However, I wish there had been more of a "how" to keep a princess heart as opposed to a "do" keep a princess heart. The book is more encouraging than applicable, but I think every Christian woman should read it at some point as a reminder of her worth and value that can only come from God.

This is a fabulous book to read as a follow-up to "Captivating." Johnson talks about fairy tal...more
Eriel Kiersten
Too much explanations and less story. I understand that its clearly not my genre.
Audrey
I read this book a few years ago and am now re-reading it for a women's Bible study. I recommend picking this up if you've ever wondered why life doesn't seem like the fairy tale you once imagined it, and you still have so many dreams and desires buried down inside. Nicole Johnson does a good job tackling some of life's deep disappointments while revealing insights into truly living and embracing a joyous life with God's love and grace.
Rebecca
I got this book at a used booksale probably for $1. I don't think I ever read the book jacket. I couldn't decide whether the author wanted women to ignore fairy tales and stories because men aren't really like that and aren't coming to rescue you. Or whether it was ok to believe them. She preached about God a lot too. I wasn't expecting that. The book did nothing but annoy me.
Jamie Archer
Jul 11, 2011 Jamie Archer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any woman
Recommended to Jamie by: Jenn Nickel
While writing this book, the author was staying in an English castle and relates her time there to what she's writing. She has so many stories but knows how to connect them to deep truths. I thought it would be a little cheesy, but it really did something to change my heart and see myself differently.
Marisol

Enjoyed much. I did dreamed a happily ever after story of myself too when i was little. The book reminded me to keep my princess-self inside and keep believing that my "prince" up there is still waiting for me in His kingdom and that to enjoy life graciously as it comes to. :)
Angela Good
If you struggle with life's disappointments, read this book. This book should be mandatory reading for every gal (married, single, widowed, etc.)....READ THIS BOOK!!! Nicole draws you closer to the Prince of Heaven and our happily ever after.
Catherine
I really enjoyed this book. I checked it out from my church library. I think this author does a good job highlighting the soul searching that women go through in seeking their true heart. :)
Jp
This book was awesome! Definite smelling salts for the "happily ever after" mindset that is oblivious to the inevitable realities of growing up in a "not so fairytale world".
Beth Emery
i felt this was a little simplistic and spent too much time on the problems and not enough time on the solutions, but still interesting.
Lois Marshall clayton
Nicole is simply amazing. She really puts everything into reality of a girls idea of who she is in God.
Very moving!
Hon3yb33
A very girly book, but wow, it was filled with profound truths. It was a memorable read for my wonderful small group.
Amy
For every girl/woman who has lost hope in the "happily ever after" that we thought would someday be ours.
Janackeh
this was an awesome book!! i read it in a few days...excellent...definitely recommend!!
Lacy
it was uplifting. I learned some useful things.
Cheryl in CC NV
May 15, 2012 Cheryl in CC NV marked it as skimmed-reference-dnf  ·  review of another edition
Christian. :(
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Cassandra
Cassandra is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Sep 04, 2014
Bailey Mitchell
Bailey Mitchell marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Fresh Brewed Life: A Stirring Invitation to Wake Up Your Soul The Invisible Woman: A Special Story for Mothers Dropping Your Rock: Choosing Love Over Judgment Dramatic Encounters with God: Seven Life-Changing Lessons of Love Women of Faith Study Guide Series: Encouraging One Another (Women of Faith Study Guide Series)