Start by marking “Keeping a Princess Heart: In a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World” as Want to Read:
Keeping a Princess Heart: In a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World

Keeping a Princess Heart: In a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World

Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. Every little girl grew up hearing the stories of "happily ever after," but is that the world in which she exists today? Living in this not-so-fairy-t
Published June 19th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2003)

Lisa Belcastro
Nov 11, 2013 Lisa Belcastro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, reminding every women that she is loved by the King, and that happily ever after DOES exist in God's love. I started this book on Saturday afternoon on a plane flight. I couldn't put it down. Nicole Johnson's words touched my heart, and gave me hope. The premise of happily ever after has taken a beaten in our broken world. Nicole writes about the truth of fairytales, the pitfalls that can trip us up, and the reality that God's love is the greatest gift to every woman and where we ...more
Amanda
Jul 10, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As little girls, we loved fairy tales. Once we reach big-girl status, we've either decided that fairy tales are entertaining, but ridiculous, or that there is a prince and a perfect life out there "somewhere" if we could just get past all the frogs. In Keeping a Princess Heart in a Not-So-Fairy-Tale World, Nicole Johnson tells us that fairy tales are essential. We are worthy of love and attention, and there is nothing wrong with believing that. We are daughters of the King, so we are Princesses. ...more
Linda
Sep 30, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Facing disappointments isn't fun or easy, but this book gives a very different perspective to our fairytale dreams. It's definitely not a doom and gloom book, but rather a very realistic and humorous book. i enjoyed this one very much!
Leah
Jan 08, 2008 Leah rated it really liked it
It's time to revisit this book...let the reread begin!

Well, the second time around, I still really liked this book. However, I wish there had been more of a "how" to keep a princess heart as opposed to a "do" keep a princess heart. The book is more encouraging than applicable, but I think every Christian woman should read it at some point as a reminder of her worth and value that can only come from God.

This is a fabulous book to read as a follow-up to "Captivating." Johnson talks about fairy tal
Audrey
Sep 03, 2011 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few years ago and am now re-reading it for a women's Bible study. I recommend picking this up if you've ever wondered why life doesn't seem like the fairy tale you once imagined it, and you still have so many dreams and desires buried down inside. Nicole Johnson does a good job tackling some of life's deep disappointments while revealing insights into truly living and embracing a joyous life with God's love and grace.
Jada
Aug 09, 2015 Jada rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had such promise, and I love the idea, but Johnson just kept repeating the same few points throughout the entire book. Sure, there were a few really good points that make the book better, but I don't feel any more like I have a princess heart than when I began reading this. Some parts about cynicism almost affirmed in my mind why I think that way sometimes. I know I shouldn't, but the way she presents it all was just not very appealing.
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
I got this book at a used booksale probably for $1. I don't think I ever read the book jacket. I couldn't decide whether the author wanted women to ignore fairy tales and stories because men aren't really like that and aren't coming to rescue you. Or whether it was ok to believe them. She preached about God a lot too. I wasn't expecting that. The book did nothing but annoy me.
Jamie Archer
Jul 11, 2011 Jamie Archer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any woman
Recommended to Jamie by: Jenn Nickel
While writing this book, the author was staying in an English castle and relates her time there to what she's writing. She has so many stories but knows how to connect them to deep truths. I thought it would be a little cheesy, but it really did something to change my heart and see myself differently.
Becky
Apr 03, 2014 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A good inspirational reminder to keep your focus on how God sees you instead of how the world sees you. Not much depth or any real advice about how to do this from day to day. The theology is sound. I believe this book could be read by many different denominations within the Christian community.
Marisol
Oct 18, 2012 Marisol rated it it was amazing

Enjoyed much. I did dreamed a happily ever after story of myself too when i was little. The book reminded me to keep my princess-self inside and keep believing that my "prince" up there is still waiting for me in His kingdom and that to enjoy life graciously as it comes to. :)
Angela Good
Jun 11, 2012 Angela Good rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you struggle with life's disappointments, read this book. This book should be mandatory reading for every gal (married, single, widowed, etc.)....READ THIS BOOK!!! Nicole draws you closer to the Prince of Heaven and our happily ever after.
Bonnie Dieffenbacher
I liked the book. I thought the 1st apart was written for a woman with severe depression, but as i went on, I did get a lot of good information from the last half.
Catherine
Jun 09, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
I really enjoyed this book. I checked it out from my church library. I think this author does a good job highlighting the soul searching that women go through in seeking their true heart. :)
Beth Emery
i felt this was a little simplistic and spent too much time on the problems and not enough time on the solutions, but still interesting.
Amy
Mar 14, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
For every girl/woman who has lost hope in the "happily ever after" that we thought would someday be ours.
Lois Marshall Clayton
Nicole is simply amazing. She really puts everything into reality of a girls idea of who she is in God.
Very moving!
Jp
Sep 22, 2013 Jp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! Definite smelling salts for the "happily ever after" mindset that is oblivious to the inevitable realities of growing up in a "not so fairytale world".
Hon3yb33
Mar 30, 2007 Hon3yb33 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very girly book, but wow, it was filled with profound truths. It was a memorable read for my wonderful small group.
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2008
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2010
Sally Beveridge
Sally Beveridge rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
maureen
maureen rated it did not like it
Oct 22, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
May 31, 2008
Dorina Hawkes
Dorina Hawkes rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Becca
Becca rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2008
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2014
Kelsi
Kelsi rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2013
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2008
Natalie Parra
Natalie Parra rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Nicole White
Nicole White rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-to-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • A Girl After God's Own Heart: A Tween Adventure with Jesus
  • The Courtship
  • The Nature of God: 50 Christian Devotions about God's Love and Acceptance
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • Silent Star
  • Sweet Sanctuary
  • Wild Heather (English Ivy, #2)
  • The Deer in the Wood
  • The Gardens of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #2)
  • Songs in the Key of Solomon: In the Word and In the Mood