Start by marking “Star Trek #32” as Want to Read:
Star Trek #32

Star Trek #32 (Star Trek: The Original Series #32)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  15 reviews

While mapping a series of gravitational anomalies, the U.S.S. Enterprise is suddenly hurled millions of light-years through space, into a distant galxy of scorched and lifeless worlds...into the middle of an endless interstellar war.

With no way back home, the crippled starship finds itself under relentless and suicidal attack by both warring fleets! And Captain Kirk must

Published September 22nd 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published February 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek #32, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek #32

Erin Edgar
This book deals with the characters from the original Star Trek series. The crew of teh Enterprise is hurled millions of light years into another galaxy. The crew finds itself confronted with a large number of lifeless planets. These planets were capable of human life, but some enemy has destroyed them. Unexpectedly, the crew is attacked by 2 races, each of whom believes that the other is this mysterious enemy. This leads to the speculation about what an interstellar war would be like. This book ...more
Eric
Published in 1987 this book was a bit stiff; I found the narration went on a bit too much, for my tastes. But, it was #32 in the Star Trek Original Series novels so, perhaps, Pocket Books and Paramount were still trying to build an audience and didn't want to alienate new readers. Who knows.

The Enterprise was investigating some gravitational anomalies, as such things tend to happen in the Star Trek universe, and is flung right out of the Milky Way galaxy to some unknown and very distant galaxy.
S. Thomas
I read this book to my kids and thoroughly enjoyed trying to do the different voices of the characters. They told me my Chekov wasn't good, but they liked Spock and the aliens. So it was a fun read.

If you like Star Trek, you will enjoy this story. Although I have read better Star Trek novels, I have not reviewed any of them on Good Reads. And while it seemed science was being stretched thin in a few places, I think the characterization was basically on target. Dr. Crandall, a visitor on the Ent
J.D.
I loved the plot. Very well Written in a sci-fi way, the build up of the story turned me into it. Huge plus for me that it's clearly showed, how strong the bond of family kind is all around the Enterprise crew. Good read.
Greg
Well, that was dreadful. Hackneyed cookie-cutter Star Trek novel.
Andrew Beet
I liked this book a lot. I liked these type of stories where the enterprise are smack bang in the middle of two warring races in this case the alien races think that the enterprise is one of the destroyer's ships that's where Kirk has to explain to the hoshan and the zeator that they're not and they have been flung thousands of light years away from their home galaxy. the character of Jason Crandall reminded me of the ambassador in the episode a taste of Armageddon. very good novel I will be rea ...more
Dan
An interesting story overall, with a few minor issues with regards to the main guest character. This is the first novel of Gene DeWeese's that I have ever read, and it was added to my "to read" list shortly after he passed away last year. Chain of Attack was a great Trek novel experience, and I'm looking forward to reading more of his novels he wrote during his lifetime in the future.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2013/04/c...
Christopher Obert
The USS Enterprise finds herself stranded in a distant galaxy! What could be worse? When the planets of that galaxy are found to be ravaged and lifeless from centuries of war, starships do not communicate with each other and fire upon every ship they encounter, making matters worse. Can the crew of the Enterprise survive long enough to find a way home or will they find death in that distant cold space?
Daniel Kukwa
A strange novel. As pure science fiction, it works well -- it sets up a solid technical mystery, with a fast pace. But it's not quite as successful as a Star Trek novel...as if the author had been forced to bolt Kirk and Co. onto a Star Trek-free story.

When I think about it, "Chain of Attack" is to Star Trek, what "Coming of the Terraphiles" is to Doctor Who.

Mainrun
The Star Trek novels I have read are not half bad. This is the one where the Enterprise was flung into a galaxy/place and were attacked! Everyone was attacking everyone. Good old Kirk leader and organizer he is made people play nice so escape was possib
Kreg
It had extremely weak points when dealing with basic astrophysics, and Treknology. Overall the characterization was decent with the exception of the 'nemesis' (Dr. Crandall), the story wasn't too bad by itself but could have been much better.
Nicolas
I don't have strong feelings either way with this one. Of all the Trek books I've read, this was the most like an episode. The characterizations were right, but the pacing was slow. Not a particularly satisfying conclusion either.
Stephen Fender
This is a true 'Trek' adventure at it's best. New worlds, new conflicts, new aliens..

The author has put all of it together into a great story. I was captiveted by this page turner.
Colin Mccauley
it's good. I love the characters
Amanda Greenlee
Amanda Greenlee marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Caprice Procarione
Caprice Procarione marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Brian Frauenknecht
Brian Frauenknecht marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Kay Fisher
Kay Fisher marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Three Minute Universe
  • Stark Trek: The Disinherited
  • Sanctuary
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Mindshadow
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • The Starship Trap
  • Death Count
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Crisis on Centaurus

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2) Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36) The Final Nexus Lord of the Necropolis (Ravenloft, #17) Renegade