Sticks & Scones

Sticks & Scones (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #10)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  6,129 ratings  ·  143 reviews
Celebrated for her unique blend of first-class suspense and five-star fare, Diane Mott Davidson has won scores of fans and earned a place on major bestseller lists across the country. Now she dishes up another dangerously tasty treat of murder and mystery.

For Colorado caterer Goldy Schulz, accepting a series of bookings at Hyde Castle is like a dream come true. It’s not ev...more
Published November 4th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sticks & Scones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sticks & Scones

Jessica
Mar 07, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers & food lovers
Shelves: mystery
This was my first book of Ms Davidson's books and I really enjoyed it.
I've read a few mysteries with recipes and they had all fallen short, so this book was a pleasant surprise.
There was a lot going on in this book, but I believe the author did well with keeping it all straight for the reader without being to obvious. The characters and events were interesting and I hated having to take breaks from reading.
Goldie is an interesting character, her actions being realistic and not always wise; she...more
bookczuk
The perfect audio book to keep me occupied during the many miles I just had to drive between Charleston and Rabun County Georgia. A light, entertaining mystery, that had me wishing for the recipes in the book!

FROM THE PUBLISHER

For Colorado cat...more
Heather Zuber-Harshman
Creative and fun. That's what I thought this book would entail when I read the title and scanned through the pages - recipes were inserted throughout. Unique, huh?

It definitely was creative. The main character is a caterer so food was a big theme. A little too big, though. The lengthy descriptions of preparing dishes, menus, and planning events detracted from the main part of the story - who is the killer? who stole the rare stamps? who shot a bullet through the main character's front window?

Th...more
Debbie
Book 10 in the Goldy Culinary Mysteries.

Before she can even begin solving the mystery of a restored (and haunted) castle, Goldy has to deal with multiple threats to her own and her family's safety. Right around the time her violent ex-husband gets released from prison, someone shoots out her front window and another incident results in a serious gunshot wound for Tom.

Arch, who used to be a highlight of the series, is so utterly obnoxious that he makes even my brattiest students look like little...more
Marti
One of the perks of reading a book about Goldie, the caterer is that there are actual recipes included. I have only tried one or two, but it is nice to know that there is a source of delicious, and usually a chocolate delight.

The plot of this book seemed a little more convoluted. Part of it takes place in a castle, which is interesting.

If you find a character that you like, it is pleasant to be able to return and join that person in another adventure.

One drawback of this book is that there isn't...more
Tony
It is not often that you pray for the heroine or hero of a story to suffer a gruesome end at the hands of the villain, but this is one. The heroine is possibly the most annoying main character in any book that I have ever read. The plot line can best be described as 'weak as water' relying almost solely on coincidence. The characterisations are incredibly shallow and 2 dimensional. All in all, a very ordinary thriller indeed. This one was a real struggle to finish.
Joyce
Mystery, murder and food and recipes, what a combination!
Cops and robbers as the main character lives with a cop
and she, herself gets involving trying to solve murders
while she is stirring up some scones or something.
I've read her other books and like her.........
Debbie
Goldy the caterer is out solving crime, risking life and limb and saving her family again. I swear she gets knocked on the head in every novel. How does this woman not have brain damage?

Alas no good recipes in this one.... Not one for scones and plum tarts
Ellen Moore
This was a good book in the Goldy series. It amazes me at the variety of settings the author finds for her books in this series. This one was in an English castle. There were good mysteries to be solved and some personal family issues that were addressed. I still think that Arch is the rudest teen ever and that he is overindulged by his mother, who attempts to shield him from the truth about his father. He must not be very bright or he would have caught on to how cruel and manipulative his fathe...more
Elizabeth
It's been at least 10 years since I read one of the Goldy Bear mysteries, and I forgot how much I like this series. A decade later, I immediately remembered Davidson's endearing cast of characters: caterer Goldy and her cop husband Tom; her son, Arch; family friends Julian and Marla.

The story, which revolves around a catering event at a local castle, becomes a bit convoluted at times, but it keeps your interest. I also like the blend of mystery with family life and especially cooking. I often f...more
Tabby Kat
STICKS & SCONES once again brings us that Denver caterer turned detective, Goldy Schulz. As in her previous books, Goldy doesn't start out intending to become involved in a murder investigation. She is busy with her catering business when someone throws a rock through her living room window at four o'clock in the morning. Her police officer husband Tom is away on an investigation, so after she calls the local station, she gets her 15 year old son Arch and the dog and cat out of the house and...more
Debra
Jun 07, 2008 Debra rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like culinary mysteries with lots of recipes
Caterer Goldy Schulz has been hired to cook an authentic Elizabethan luncheon and dinner at a castle (shipped over from England in pieces). But on the cold February morning of the luncheon, someone shoots out her living room window. Meanwhile, her police officer husband, Tom, is away on a case, and two of Aspen Meadow’s most influential citizens are determined to see Goldy fail at her job. Relocating herself and her fourteen-year-old son to Hyde Castle, Goldy tries to persevere, but it isn’t eas...more
S. J.
Sep 11, 2013 S. J. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans, people interested in Culinary, people looking for easy and fun read
Recommended to S. by: Library; Series

Review of The Main Corpse: Book Six

Review of The Grilling Season: Book Seven

Review of Prime Cut: Book Eight

Review of Tough Cookie: Book Nine

Unfortunately, once again I've read to many books to dedicate a full review to each one. This will have to do for now.

*The Gush*

I can’t say enough about this book! This...more
Linda
A real castle from England was dismantled years ago and brought in pieces to Aspen Meadow, Colorado where the owner now wants to transform it into a conference center. He hires Goldy to cater a luncheon and a big dinner with the possibility of her working as a permanent caterer for the conferences. The day of the luncheon, Goldy’s living room window is broken by a shotgun blast, so she and her son Arch move to the castle to live and do the necessary catering. (Husband/cop Tom is out of town on...more
Tina Hayes
"Sticks & Scones" by Diane Mott Davidson is a cozy mystery featuring caterer Goldy Schulz.

Someone shoots out the window in her family home right before she's supposed to cater two big local gigs. She and her son move on into the imported castle turned Inn, where her son Arch hopes to see the ghost rumored to live there. When Goldy discovers a crook's body beside the chapel on the property, things get bad quick. Shots are fired and people, including her, are in danger. What in the world could...more
Pat
Goldie is catering in a castle.
Tom is shot and they live there while he recuperates.
3 people steal valuable stamps.
Tom's old girlfriend from Vietnam.
Weird elements.
American nurse lives in Vietnam since the war.
7 year old girl hidden in castle.
Good one.
Carly
I thought that this was an okay book. I had a lot of trouble with the beginning of this book. I don't know if that is because I was sick and I didn't feel like reading or if the beginning was truly very slow. I did like that Goldy, the main character, actually seemed to do more detecting than most protagonists do in cozy mysteries. I do have a slight problem with the way she solved the case. I feel like she made a guess that fit all of the clues and she wound up being right. She didn't have any...more
Kara Tolzen
I am hooked on this culinary series and like the recipes Diane adds to the book. Goldy Shulz is real. I wish my mom had a catering business at home for me to test all of the new recipes or eat the leftovers.
Beverly
I enjoy reading about Goldie's adventures. It's an easy read and I'm always amazed how Diane Mott Davidson weaves the story around the catering business and the circumstances she places Goldie in.
As usual, her books are highly entertaining and clever. I found this one to be particularly suspenseful as I didn't figure out the culprit until the very last minute.
Jeanne
i read this a while back but just got done listening to it again as i hand quilted. these books are always a pleasure and fun to read
Pr Latta
[audio] Goldy the caterer is at it again: trouble (and bodies) seeks her out, this time while catering at an authentic English castle reassembled in her home town of Aspen Meadows, CO. Her homicide detective husband, Tom, is out of town when their window is shot out so teenaged-son Arch and Goldy move into the castle. I enjoy hearing Goldy's discussions of why she chooses particular foods for an event and her thoughts on preparation and presentation. The wacky characters of Aspen Meadows, set in...more
Russ Cross
Jun 14, 2014 Russ Cross rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of light mysteries.
Recommended to Russ by: My sister.
I enjoy everything I read. Very interesting mystery. The recipes made me hungry. It was all I could do to keep from snacking while eating. All in all, a fun book.
Karen
Harmless & silly. Perfect counter to grad school reading.
Juli
Love this whole series. Includes yummy recipes.
Suz
A good mystery with a few twists...
Tabitha
I have not read and not my type of book
Marcia
Goldy is catering a Tudor banquet at the local castle, which reportedly has a child ghost. Her ex-husband's latest girlfriend is exactly what she seems. Meanwhile, Tom gets shot but recovers. Julian helps out. Arch has taken up fencing and is good at it. At the end, the puzzle of the girl ghost is solved. Tom & Goldy faced and overcame a question of trust. Again, all the characters seem to mature. I did think that Goldy is trying to solve too much herself. After all, she is just a caterer, n...more
Debby
Goldy is planning to cater several Elizabethan meals at the local castle - brought over in pieces from England. With Tom on a case in NJ and her front window shot out, Goldy, Arch & Julian move to the castle temporarily. In typical Goldy fashion, she begins to uncover bodies and mysteries, including Tom's ex-fiance, who supposedly died in Vietnam years earlier.

This has typical Goldy predicaments but is a quick, easy, fun read - it's amazing how high the body count can get in a small CO town!
  • Blood Orange Brewing (A Tea Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery #5)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2)
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • Bleeding Hearts (China Bayles, #14)
New York Times bestselling author Diane Mott Davidson wrote three novels before one was accepted for publication—when she was 41. She has since written 14 more mysteries, all featuring Goldy the caterer. In addition, she has written short stories and poetry for various publications. Davidson has won the Anthony Award from Bouchercon, and has been nominated for the Agatha, another Anthony, and the...more
More about Diane Mott Davidson...
Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #1) Double Shot (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #12) Dying For Chocolate (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, # 2) The Cereal Murders (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #3) Killer Pancake (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #5)

“In a deep sexy voice, she said Windows don't turn me on.
I raised an eyebrow at her, Mac user?”
24 likes