Start by marking “Sticks & Scones” as Want to Read:
Sticks & Scones

Sticks & Scones (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #10)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  7,545 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
Celebrated for her unique blend of first-class suspense and five-star fare, Diane Mott Davidson has won scores of fans and earned a place on major bestseller lists across the country. Now she dishes up another dangerously tasty treat of murder and mystery.

For Colorado caterer Goldy Schulz, accepting a series of bookings at Hyde Castle is like a dream come true. It’s not ev
Published November 4th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sticks & Scones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sticks & Scones

Heather Zuber-Harshman
Creative and fun. That's what I thought this book would entail when I read the title and scanned through the pages - recipes were inserted throughout. Unique, huh?

It definitely was creative. The main character is a caterer so food was a big theme. A little too big, though. The lengthy descriptions of preparing dishes, menus, and planning events detracted from the main part of the story - who is the killer? who stole the rare stamps? who shot a bullet through the main character's front window?

Th
Jessica
Mar 07, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers & food lovers
Shelves: mystery
This was my first book of Ms Davidson's books and I really enjoyed it.
I've read a few mysteries with recipes and they had all fallen short, so this book was a pleasant surprise.
There was a lot going on in this book, but I believe the author did well with keeping it all straight for the reader without being to obvious. The characters and events were interesting and I hated having to take breaks from reading.
Goldie is an interesting character, her actions being realistic and not always wise; she
Tony
Mar 01, 2009 Tony rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is not often that you pray for the heroine or hero of a story to suffer a gruesome end at the hands of the villain, but this is one. The heroine is possibly the most annoying main character in any book that I have ever read. The plot line can best be described as 'weak as water' relying almost solely on coincidence. The characterisations are incredibly shallow and 2 dimensional. All in all, a very ordinary thriller indeed. This one was a real struggle to finish.
bookczuk
The perfect audio book to keep me occupied during the many miles I just had to drive between Charleston and Rabun County Georgia. A light, entertaining mystery, that had me wishing for the recipes in the book!

FROM THE PUBLISHER

For Colorado cat
Debbie
Apr 19, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, mystery
Book 10 in the Goldy Culinary Mysteries.

Before she can even begin solving the mystery of a restored (and haunted) castle, Goldy has to deal with multiple threats to her own and her family's safety. Right around the time her violent ex-husband gets released from prison, someone shoots out her front window and another incident results in a serious gunshot wound for Tom.

Arch, who used to be a highlight of the series, is so utterly obnoxious that he makes even my brattiest students look like little
Marti
Mar 24, 2009 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the perks of reading a book about Goldie, the caterer is that there are actual recipes included. I have only tried one or two, but it is nice to know that there is a source of delicious, and usually a chocolate delight.

The plot of this book seemed a little more convoluted. Part of it takes place in a castle, which is interesting.

If you find a character that you like, it is pleasant to be able to return and join that person in another adventure.

One drawback of this book is that there isn't
Susabelle Kelmer
I thought this would be more entertaining than it was. The adolescent son was a complete jerk (as a mom I'd have thrashed him a good one the first time he mouthed off to me). The caterer appeared ditzy and disorganized and relied on too many others to do her job - the young friend Julian, the supplier, etc. And way too many red herrings and wild goose chases in the "mystery" part of it. I like books that include cooking/food, and especially when there are recipes, but I rather struggled through ...more
Lisa
Oct 12, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as mysterious as I like my mysteries to be, but Sticks & Stones was a nice, quick read. I thought maybe there was a little too much of everything going on and not enough detail for any of it, but it does grow on you as the book progresses.

Goldy is a caterer on her second marriage, and her first husband (who was just released from prison) still plays a role in her life because of their son, a teenage boy who is quite into fencing. Goldy certainly reads like a lone caterer--harried and ru
Marty
Apr 13, 2016 Marty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another adventure with Goldy Shultz, a Colorado caterer with a knack for getting involved in murder. This time she is trying to rebuild her catering company after a setback, and offers to help the owners of Hyde Castle open their hotel. The castle has been in the family for several generations, but now needs to start earning it’s keep. The owner wants to feature Elizabethan décor and food. Before the first event Goldy finds a body in the stream and her husband, Tom, a cop is shot in the shoulder ...more
Sue McNerney
Picked this book up for free at the Traveler Food and Book Restaurant in CT. As I began to read it, I was very confused as to why the author was introducing sooo many characters at once, with attached anecdotes making little sense to the story. About 1/3 in, I googled the title thinking I was missing something...and I was! This is number 10 in a series of detective novel type stories about a cook/chef, and is interspersed with recipes depicted in the meals throughout the book! Once I understood ...more
Joyce
Jan 03, 2011 Joyce rated it really liked it
Mystery, murder and food and recipes, what a combination!
Cops and robbers as the main character lives with a cop
and she, herself gets involving trying to solve murders
while she is stirring up some scones or something.
I've read her other books and like her.........
Catherine
Sep 29, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Goldy is accepting a series of bookings at Hyde Castle. It all started when the first Anglophile lunch,when she had a rude awakening, a shotgun blast through her living room window. With her home as a crime scene and her cop husband Tom out of town searching for a fugitive hijacker Goldy has no choice but to show up for work at the castle six hours early. And it doesn't take her long to realize that her early morning wake up call was only the beginning. While out checki ...more
Debbie
Sep 23, 2009 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
Goldy the caterer is out solving crime, risking life and limb and saving her family again. I swear she gets knocked on the head in every novel. How does this woman not have brain damage?

Alas no good recipes in this one.... Not one for scones and plum tarts
Ellen Moore
Mar 31, 2014 Ellen Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book in the Goldy series. It amazes me at the variety of settings the author finds for her books in this series. This one was in an English castle. There were good mysteries to be solved and some personal family issues that were addressed. I still think that Arch is the rudest teen ever and that he is overindulged by his mother, who attempts to shield him from the truth about his father. He must not be very bright or he would have caught on to how cruel and manipulative his fathe ...more
Elizabeth
It's been at least 10 years since I read one of the Goldy Bear mysteries, and I forgot how much I like this series. A decade later, I immediately remembered Davidson's endearing cast of characters: caterer Goldy and her cop husband Tom; her son, Arch; family friends Julian and Marla.

The story, which revolves around a catering event at a local castle, becomes a bit convoluted at times, but it keeps your interest. I also like the blend of mystery with family life and especially cooking. I often f
Janet
Dec 29, 2015 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very weird book for me. I enjoyed it more the beginning then I did at the end. Three quarters through it seem to drag and drag. Even the long intense climax seemed so drawn out. I didn't mind the recipes as much as the continuously overly-long descriptions of food prep. I was unable to really connect with any of the characters. Finally, the part about how Berke's Peerage was involved was unrealistic and unbelievable.
The part I liked about this book is it wasn't scoured clean of God. I
Now, her
Tabby Kat
STICKS & SCONES once again brings us that Denver caterer turned detective, Goldy Schulz. As in her previous books, Goldy doesn't start out intending to become involved in a murder investigation. She is busy with her catering business when someone throws a rock through her living room window at four o'clock in the morning. Her police officer husband Tom is away on an investigation, so after she calls the local station, she gets her 15 year old son Arch and the dog and cat out of the house and ...more
Debra
Jun 07, 2008 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like culinary mysteries with lots of recipes
Caterer Goldy Schulz has been hired to cook an authentic Elizabethan luncheon and dinner at a castle (shipped over from England in pieces). But on the cold February morning of the luncheon, someone shoots out her living room window. Meanwhile, her police officer husband, Tom, is away on a case, and two of Aspen Meadow’s most influential citizens are determined to see Goldy fail at her job. Relocating herself and her fourteen-year-old son to Hyde Castle, Goldy tries to persevere, but it isn’t eas ...more
S. J.
Sep 11, 2013 S. J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans, people interested in Culinary, people looking for easy and fun read
Recommended to S. by: Library; Series

Review of The Main Corpse: Book Six

Review of The Grilling Season: Book Seven

Review of Prime Cut: Book Eight

Review of Tough Cookie: Book Nine

Unfortunately, once again I've read to many books to dedicate a full review to each one. This will have to do for now.

*The Gush*

I can’t say enough about this book! This
Trudy
Jul 26, 2015 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I work my way through Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Bear/Schulz culinary mysteries, I find myself wondering what real caterers and/or food inspectors think. Goldy's timeline for food prep and some of her food handling techniques seem a bit off to me, but I'm no expert. Still, would you thaw a frozen lamb roast on the counter instead of in the fridge or in a cool water bath?

All-in-all, though, the stories are entertaining and hold my interest. I do get a bit hungry while reading, though!
Ed
#10 in the Goldy Bear Schulz series. Goldy is a caterer in an upscale Colorado community.

#10 Goldy Schulz engages to serve Elizabethan food at Hyde Castle. Before she starts, someone shoots out her picture window. Husband Tom Schulz was in NJ investigating a false lead on a deadly theft of valuable stamps and returns to be shot. They move to the castle while their home is repaired and see a ghost. Her ex-husband is paroled and takes up with the girlfriend of another inmate.

Linda
Dec 25, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real castle from England was dismantled years ago and brought in pieces to Aspen Meadow, Colorado where the owner now wants to transform it into a conference center. He hires Goldy to cater a luncheon and a big dinner with the possibility of her working as a permanent caterer for the conferences. The day of the luncheon, Goldy’s living room window is broken by a shotgun blast, so she and her son Arch move to the castle to live and do the necessary catering. (Husband/cop Tom is out of town on ...more
Linda B
Feb 22, 2016 Linda B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains recipes which are always fun, but really, will I go photocopy them and try to cook them, probably not. The story was good, different things happening all the time and making the plot thicken. However, a couple of times I just got the impression something was missing. I loved the characters and their descriptions. The dialogue between characters was lively. I will probably read more in this series.
Lisa Morin
Another great book

I'm a huge fan of this series. When a violent attack on Goldie's home leads her and Arch to stay in a castle, Goldie has no idea of the events that are about to unfold.
Missing stamps, a missing fiancee, gun shots and a nasty ex husband are just a few of the things Goldie has to deal with.
If you are looking for a great cozy mystery, then this is the one for you.
Peggy
May 09, 2016 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several books in this series about a Denver area caterer who sleuths. This was not my favorite, however. Goldy Shultz is hired to cater at a restored castle. Her sheriff's detective husband is looking for thieves and is out of state. But Goldy finds a dead body related to her husband's case. The story is typical Goldy, funny in places, but the ending is a little unbelievable to me. The twists are a little too twisted to be satisfying.
Barbara G. Lawson
Not my favorite of the series.

Goldy is always getting into situations that a sensible person would avoid, but the ending of this book was like a fairy tale gone wild. Sorry, Ms. Davidson. I generally enjoy these books and have bought most of them . I like the characters, the setting,etc. I just don't like stupidity sometimes shown by Goldy.
Tina Hayes
Feb 24, 2013 Tina Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
"Sticks & Scones" by Diane Mott Davidson is a cozy mystery featuring caterer Goldy Schulz.

Someone shoots out the window in her family home right before she's supposed to cater two big local gigs. She and her son move on into the imported castle turned Inn, where her son Arch hopes to see the ghost rumored to live there. When Goldy discovers a crook's body beside the chapel on the property, things get bad quick. Shots are fired and people, including her, are in danger. What in the world could
Pat
Mar 17, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Goldie is catering in a castle.
Tom is shot and they live there while he recuperates.
3 people steal valuable stamps.
Tom's old girlfriend from Vietnam.
Weird elements.
American nurse lives in Vietnam since the war.
7 year old girl hidden in castle.
Good one.
Jean
Feb 21, 2015 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book! Tom is shot, a very frightening experience Goldy. Her ex the Jerk obtains early release and continues his abusive behavior in attempts to control the relationship between Goldy and her son. And this is another complex mystery plot.
Carly
I thought that this was an okay book. I had a lot of trouble with the beginning of this book. I don't know if that is because I was sick and I didn't feel like reading or if the beginning was truly very slow. I did like that Goldy, the main character, actually seemed to do more detecting than most protagonists do in cozy mysteries. I do have a slight problem with the way she solved the case. I feel like she made a guess that fit all of the clues and she wound up being right. She didn't have any ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #48 Sticks and Scones 1 1 Jul 26, 2015 04:10PM
  • The English Breakfast Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Cornbread Killer (Heaven Lee, #5)
New York Times bestselling author Diane Mott Davidson wrote three novels before one was accepted for publication—when she was 41. She has since written 14 more mysteries, all featuring Goldy the caterer. In addition, she has written short stories and poetry for various publications. Davidson has won the Anthony Award from Bouchercon, and has been nominated for the Agatha, another Anthony, and the ...more
More about Diane Mott Davidson...

A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Dying for Chocolate (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • The Cereal Murders (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • The Last Suppers (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Pancake (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • The Main Corpse (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #6)
  • The Grilling Season (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #7)
  • Prime Cut (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #8)
  • Tough Cookie (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #9)
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)

“In a deep sexy voice, she said Windows don't turn me on.
I raised an eyebrow at her, Mac user?”
26 likes