The Burning Hills the Burning Hills

The Burning Hills the Burning Hills

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,213 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Wounded, dehydrated, and escaping a violent feud with the men of Bob Sutton's ranch, Trace Jordan is near collapse when he descends from the heat of the desert into a cool, secluded canyon. He wakes tofind a beautiful woman gently caring for his injuries. Maria Cristina and her family have also suffered at the hands of Sutton and his men. The experience has left her hostil...more
Published March 2nd 2004 by Bantam (first published May 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Burning Hills the Burning Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning Hills the Burning Hills

Henry Avila
Jun 17, 2011 Henry Avila rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Henry by: nobody
Trace Jordan is an easy going cowboy, who has only killed 6 men in his life!He rounds up wild horses to make a few bucks, a man has to eat. Coming back from grocery shopping,he finds his horses and gear missing and by the way his partner killed.This annoys him a little.After a long ride running away from the bad guys and shooting a few.Jordan with a hole in his side, is saved by a pretty young widow. Did anyone imagine the cowboy would die! She found his secret hiding place in the middle of nowh...more
Dustin Reade
More wonderfully descriptive writing that made me want to watch westerns for the rest of the week. My only problem was with the female lead character. Sometimes she spoke with a stereotypical mexican accent: "I will keel you!" "You will be keel!" and sometimes she didn't: "They killed my father!"

It was distracting at times, but so what. I mean, I don't really care about anything.
I am a nihilist!
Benjamin Thomas
This is the 72nd Louis L'Amour book I've read. Wow, I can't believe I just typed that. I started when I was about 12 and have just kept on reading them. They serve as good fillers when you need a quick read between weightier efforts.

This one represents what L'Amour does best: a lone wounded man in deep trouble, shot and having to survive with his wounds, no water, bad guys hunting him, and the ever present threat of Indians. But this one was also a bit different from most L'Amour novels in that...more
Mike
As a kid I loved westerns. Somewhere along the line I completely lost touch with the genre while exploring sci-fi, fantasy, history, historical fiction......etc. One of my ex-bosses was a serious L'Amour fan so he was always in the back of my mind to check out. A promo on amazon kindle was the spark and I am so glad I did. It might not be high literature but it certainly took me back more than a few years in a short and captivating journey. I'm hooked
Dana
Last year I read the autobiography of Louis L'Amour. The only 'western' I've ever read was "The Lonesome Dove". But, when I saw this Kindle book on sale for 99 cents, I went ahead and downloaded it. And, it was good!

Trace Jordan is on a mission to find the thieves who stole his horses & killed his partner. But, he's already been shot and he's getting weaker. A young lady, Maria Cristina, finds him and treats his wound.

The book is a western - complete with gunfights, Indians, and more. The pa...more
Tom
Oh Louis L'Amour... Who else can write what's basically a romance novel about a horse-wrangler bleeding his way through the Mexico/Arizona desert while bad dudes and Indians chase him?

Our hero sets off to kill the horse thieves who shot his bronco-busting partner, but they turn out to be part of the biggest ranch families in the area. So the tables quickly turn and our hero has a gut full of lead. He runs, passes out and wakes up being tended by a fiery-hot senorita. It isn't long before these...more
John
Sep 13, 2007 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of fiction writing
Louis L'Amour is a master of the 1st page, much as is Dick Francis. Many have said that L'Amour wrote great first pages after which he simply filled in the blanks of the same novel, over and over again. To some extent this is true, in that he found a successful format and stuck with it. But the knowledgeable reader and student of writing will also note that L'Amour took great pride in 'riding the trails of which he wrote'...there is an element of reality in his books not present in pulp westerns...more
Nancy
Enjoyed the book, except for the idea that the man just has to overpower the (seemingly) unwilling woman..."Just ain't halter-broke," he said gently, "but you'll do. You'll do all right." As much as the author painted the woman as self-sufficient and a woman of her own mind, in the end, she succombs to the power of the man. Kind of a John Wayne sort of guy.
Natalya
Quick historical read, hard to put down as it sucks you in from page one with its plot twists. Strong undercurrent of attraction between the leads but its secondary to the plot. A good read, interesting history regarding Mexican settlers, native american trackers, white rancho men settlers, general lawless atmosphere of the wild Texan west...
Dean Sault
Trace Jordan escapes from Bob Sutton's men into a deep canyon, but he is wounded and collapses. When he awakens, Maria Cristina is tending his wounds. She is a rugged woman whose own family has been victims of Sutton's brutality. Their relationship slowly grows as they figure out how to escape their hiding place without being caught.

Like all L'Amour's western tales, scene description and attention to detail is masterful, painting a vivid image of the local in which the drama unfolds. Unfortunate...more
neal mirin
Will always be the best writer

I think I have read all of his books two or three times,I never tier of them.I own 100 or more of his books and they will go to my Son when I pass . so if you see one read it
Kaye Finley
Classic Louis L'Amour!

This book has all of the elements that I expect in a Louis L'Amour story- a good guy, a bad guy, and a girl. Good quick read.
Clint Morey
I like L'Amour's stories but I think he has difficulty describing a good relationship between a man and a woman. Either that or men really were pigs back in those days.
Jane B
First Louis L Amour I have read. Quick read, moved nicely, a few twists and turns, good descriptions of the desert. I liked that the characters were not flawless.
Susan
Westerns are not a genre that appeals much to me, so my rating of 2.5 stars certainly reflects that: I simply can't say I liked it. Good guys vs bad guys with a hostile natural environment thrown in for good measure; somehow, against all odds, the good guys win in the end. Yawn. Still, given that prejudice, I have to admit that this particular book was well-written. Not all the bad guys were totally bad; there was a female character who had her own strong personality that didn't quite fit all th...more
Tiffany
Not my favorite. He's written better women and better relationships.
Rosemary Willis
This is my favorite L'Amour novel.
Todd Weber
Good guys, bad guys; dusty trails and some killing; with a dash of romance. Works every time.
Dan
This is the first and only book of Louis L'Amour that I have read. It is was an entertaining read. The story has very well defined good and bad guys and plays heavily off of the standard perception of the American West. Having traveled some through the arid lands of this country myself I felt a connection to the places described. I would read another but would probably not go out of my way to do so.
Heath Lowrance
Trace Jordan is running from some corrupt land-owners and lawmen, and trapped like a rat in the rolling desert canyons. But the baddies are about realize that when Jordan’s back is to the wall, that’s when he’s at his most dangerous… I was a good 60 pages into this one, thinking perhaps I’d made a mistake, because it wasn’t working for me. But then, out of nowhere, it all started to mesh and I found myself really enjoying it.
Bobbi
Wow! This is definitely up there with L'Amour's great works. The sense of movement and being on the move; knowing you're in the right but that powerful men don't care about right and wrong, finding love at the wrong time with right woman-it's all here. The storyline was excellent and kept pushing you down the trail. Really enjoyed this one.
Rusty
If you like stories about good guys who kick butt and get the girl and the bad guys who get it in the end, read Louis L'amour. He also has a knack for describing scenery, and every canyon, spring, etc. he mentions truly exists. He was a great authority on the American Wild West which is not quite how Hollywood often portrays it.
Vatsal Makhija
Just another Louis L'amour novel. As much fun as most. We've got some very strong and attractive characters in this one: Borden Chantry, Tyrel SACKETT, Mike Bastian and Ben Curry. Pretty gripping. If you like westerns, you'll love this one.
Dale Rosso
Jan 05, 2014 Dale Rosso rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages
Shelves: western
Another great read by a great author.
Scott Whitney
Classic L'Amour. Action, drama, love, one man being the underdog but fighting to make his place and, after doing the right thing, overcoming the opposition to make it in the end. Always a good read.
John Worthington
Another Louie book that is about a man who wants to make a living with his partner and evil men are trying to prevent him. A beautful women helps him out and now she is in trouble.
Stephanie Ricker
I breezed through this L’Amour as a dusty, danger-filled, light-hearted excursion before tackling something more challenging. Grim westerns are my comfort food, evidently.
Julianne
I have to give it at least three stars because it is simply such ridiculous fun. L'Amour is a storyteller and the day it took me to read this was an enjoyable one.
Layne
I love anything that Louis L'Amour has written. Favorite story is The First fast Draw. This is just another of those most excellent Sackett clan novels.
jimnjennie
L'Amour paints a Charles Russell picture with words; four stars for the cowboy story, but two stars for the romance. Trace Jordan is no Don Juan.
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • Hombre
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • The Shootist
  • Western Kisses: Old West Christmas Romances
  • A Texas Legacy Christmas (Texas Legacy #4)
  • The Searchers
  • The Lawman Claims His Bride (Charity House, #4)
  • Where the Trail Ends (American Tapestries)
  • Fairchild's Lady (The Culper Ring, #1.5)
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) Hondo The Lonesome Gods

“The buzzard could not reason but he knew the patterns that led to food. His entire life was built upon such fragments of knowledge and he knew that where such groups of men rode, death rode with them.” 0 likes