Deadly Slipper

Deadly Slipper (Death in the Dordogne #1)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Nearly twenty years have passed since Mara Dunn’s sister Bedie, an orchid enthusiast, disappeared while on a hiking holiday in southwestern France. Mara remains determined to find out what happened—but her only real clue is a sequence of wild orchids, including a mysterious, previously unknown Lady’s Slipper, captured on a roll of film found in Bedie’s long-lost camera. Wi...more
Published July 19th 2005 by Vintage (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Slipper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Slipper

Heather Pearson
I'm not sure where I came across this author, though it might have been in my local paper since Ms. Wan lives in Guelph, Ontario, which is the next town east from here. As I was sending an email to a friend who loves orchids, I thought that if I am willing to suggest this book and author to her, then I should be willing to read it myself. I immediately requested it from my library. I'm glad I did, at it was a very enjoyable and informative read.

The story is set in the Dordogne region in the sout...more
Heather
This is actually my mum's book and she suggested that I read it after she brought it back from Canada last summer, so I finally got around to doing just that. I think I liked this partly because I was looking for a quick murder mystery having not read one for a while, and it just happened to hit the spot. I did enjoy it, I read it quite quickly, it's certainly not a difficult book in terms of prose and doesn't require a massive amount of concentration but I found it enjoyable. Mostly.

My problems...more
Steve Betz
As prep to our visit to Berlin and Munich in 2008, I’d gotten the book Berlin Noir by Philip Kerr for the Beloved as a Christmas present. It’s a great collection of the first three Bernie Gunther detective novels, which I recommend wholeheartedly. Looking to score something like that for this year’s trip to France, I got her Deadly Slipper: A Novel of Death in the Dordogne by Michelle Wan.

The story involves an American woman’s search for clues about her sister, who disappeared in the Dordogne 20...more
Barbara
Fun, but predictable

Fun, but predictable

Fairly well written tale in an interesting setting, but the ending was too easily predictable. Characters were not well developed.
Diane
"Almost twenty years have passed since Bedie Dunn, a wild-orchid enthusiast, vanished without a trace on a hiking holiday in southwestern France. The police long ago relegated the unsolved mystery to the cold-case files. But Mara Dunn, Bedie’s twin, is haunted by her sister’s disappearance. Was Bedie the victim of an accident? Or did she cross paths with the wrong person at just the wrong time? Mara has come to the Dordogne determined to find the answers."

A pretty good read even though one can f...more
Annie
Wish I'd read this one first instead of the third in the series! An engaging read and quite a bit of suspense that kept me glued to it!
Linda
On ok book. It's not one of those that you read from cover to cover because of the intense action. It is a book with an interesting concept ... using flower identification to find a missing body and if we find the killer on the way, great. Storyline: 20 years have passed since Mara's twin sister, Bedie, has been missing. The only clue is a roll of film with flowers on it supposedly taken when Bedie was camping. Mara works with a local horticulturalist to find out what happened to her twin.

Mixed...more
Karen
Mara is searching for her long-lost sister. She engages the help of Julian, an English orchid expert to help her. The setting (France) and the subject (orchids) added some interest to this book. I felt the first part of the book moved rather slowly and I really didn't feel much connection to the main characters. The pace picked up in the second portion of the book and lead ot a somewhat satisfying conclusion. I have to admit the discriptions of some of the meals did make me hungry and the dog di...more
Melinda Seyler
Mar 09, 2013 Melinda Seyler rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com

I enjoyed this book, though it was a tad Harlequin romancey. What I liked were the descriptions of the food and places and people of the Dordogne region of France. And the details about orchids. Very descriptive and well written. What I didn't really care for was the romantic sub plot which was a bit too-too and easily seen through. Easy enough to ignore however. As a mystery, it was mildly interesting, but not gripping.
Rachael
A somewhat quirky read--not the grabbing mystery however that it would lead you to believe it is. The French countryside, discussions about orchids, French food-all a welcome backdrop to the mystery at hand. It's outcome, although galloped forward in the last 50 pages, still felt somewhat predictable. Best read in an airplane or while waiting for something. It will easily fill the time well.
Nearly two decades after her sister Bedie vanishes without a trace during a hiking holiday in southwestern France, Mara Dunn, still haunted by the case and seeking answers of her own, journeys to the Dordogne, stumbling upon Bedie's camera in a local junk shop, and enlists the aid of orchid expert Julian Wood to retrace the missing woman's last steps.
Kay
Maybe it's unfair, but I couldn't help comparing this with Martin Walker's Bruno, Chief of Police, series, which is also set in the Dordogne region. Walker's menu of Gallic cuisine, Bruno's unassuming but unshakable decency, and international crime sets a very high standard. Nevertheless, I will probably try another of Wan's novels.
Carey-Ann Marshall
I loved the descriptions of the Dordogne region in the south of France. All the french terms made me feel like I was there. The characters are quirky and somewhat likable. As far as mysteries go, I guessed pretty early and some of the plot twists seemed improbable to me. A good read and I will be picking up Michelle's next book.
Shonna Froebel
Story in France, although Canadian character, revolves around rare orchids
Rachel
There were moments in this book that captured my attention but overall it was flat. The characters were not developed well and the events unfolded as I expected. I felt like I was one or two steps ahead of the characters the whole way, which doesn't' make for an exciting mystery.
Gail
The run-of-the-mill writing was offset my the enchanting location: the Dordogne area of France. Lots of information about orchids is also a plus. At least, it's a plus for those of us who are so lazy that we like to add to our slender store of arcane knowledge by reading mysteries.
Vionna
I enjoyed this book as much as her second novel. In this debut Novel, Mara enlists the help of Julian to help her unravel the mystery of the disappearance of her sisster 19 years ago. Very believable characters and the story is well paced.
Rachelle

I read to prepare for trip to Dordogne, France and enjoyed the descriptions of countryside, food and French people. The main characters were not especially likable and the plot a bit disturbing.... I will definitely not be hiking alone!
Kristen
This is a beautiful mystery set in France, when you learn about French culture and orchids to set and paint the scene wonderfully. Good drama, a hint of romance, and plenty of intrigue.
Marlene
This is a good mystery. Even though I guessed the true killer, the author had several interesting twists before the story came to a very neat conclusion.
Marlene
I enjoyed the mystery. Even though I guessed who did it, there were interesting twists until the end.
Sara
Really liked the intrigue, the mixing in of French. It was a fun read.
Mminyyz
Lots of French, Certainly made me brush up on my small French vocabulary.
Bonnie Jeanne
Deadly Slipper: A Novel of Death in the Dordogne by Michelle Wan (2005)
dawna
well, it had cameras and orchids in it. I like cameras and orchids.
Mary
A great book to read on an airplane trip.
Name Betty
Name Betty marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Sarah Hayes
Sarah Hayes marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Michelle Wan was born in Kunming, China, in the middle of an air raid. Her early years were spent in India, and she has subsequently lived in the USA, England, Paris, Harare, and Rio de Janeiro. Her passions include French food, Brazilian novellas, walking, and orchids. She and her husband, a botanist, visit the Dordogne annually to photograph and chart wild orchids. She speaks English, Portuguese...more
More about Michelle Wan...
The Orchid Shroud A Twist of Orchids Kill for an Orchid When I Kill You