Start by marking “Last Undercover” as Want to Read:
Last Undercover

Last Undercover

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Bob Hamer is a 26-year veteran of the FBI. In undercover operations Hamer posed as everything from a drug dealer to an aging pedophile. His last undercover assignment-and his hardest-was infiltrating NAMBLA, the North American Man/Boy Love Association. Now, looking back on a career rich in the kind of action that makes for great cinema, Bob tells us of the challenges he en ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Center Street (first published August 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Last Undercover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Undercover

Leslie
Interesting, but not particularly well-written. Hamer's story interweaves his major undercover investigations through a longer account of his infiltration of NAMBLA, which is quite chilling.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Steph for TeensReadToo.com

Bob Hamer tells about the tough life of an undercover FBI agent in his book THE LAST UNDERCOVER. Hamer has disguised himself as a drug dealer, an experienced horse gambler, a hit man, a crippled pedophile, and many other disguises.

The novel follows Hamer's tough case of cracking NAMBLA (North-American Man/Boy Love Association). In order to be integrated into the group, he became a member of NAMBLA. He went to two conventions in New York and Miami. He also p
Thomas
Hamer vividly describes the job of an undercover agent. He takes the reader through a host of assignments, illustrating the preparations, the dangers, the disappointments and the triumphs of the job. By the final pages, the reader feels as though he/she has personally experienced undercover work and dealt with the personalities on both sides of the law.

There are some elements that bothered me, however. The description of Hamer's efforts to reveal criminal behavior within an organization of adult
Jeffrey
Imagine life as an undercover agent for the F.B.I. Is it a lot like what we see on Television and the movies, or is it the mundane life to which we are just oblivious? Bob Hammer, a 26 year veteran of deep cover work sheds some light on that life in his new book, The Last Undercover which is a page turning real-life thriller.

Bob Hammer has written a fast paced insider’s look to undercover investigations. He focuses on his experiences working with some of the most vile elements of our society. Hi
Cassy
Oct 16, 2008 Cassy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cassy by: NPR
This recount of the dangers and adventures faced by an FBI undercover agent kept me turning the pages. I am amazed by all of the despicable, dishonest people in this world and truly thankful for heros like Bob Hamer.
Eddie Snipes
Worth the read, but not the best written book.
Jocelynne Broderick
Ryan Jackson
I found this book highly enjoyable. Considering the subject matter, I was concerned that I would be disturbed by the mental images I might conjur up. Thankfully, the author spares the readers any details of the terrible crimes against children that are discussed. I finished this book in two days and I enjoyed every minute that I spent with it. The main story is great, as are the numerous looks into the author's previous cases as an agent. 5 stars.
Eric
I saw Mr. Hamer give a presentation before reading this book. He gave a great presentation, and in sparked the interest in reading his book. The book was good, I really enjoyed reading it and enjoyed the undercover aspect of the story. If you ever get a chance to hear him speak, don't pass it up!
Terry Spear
I enjoyed the book because it was based on a true accounting of an agent's experiences, yet I enjoyed the author's humor. :)
Coleen Montgomery
This was written by a the husband of a woman I know, so I'm looking forward to checking it out!
bryan
Jun 11, 2008 bryan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by The Galley Slaves: http://galleyslaves.blogspot.com/2008...
Linda
I am glad someone is after those guys, but it doesn't make that interesting a read.
Sara Haug
Jumps around quite a bit, but over all, a good book.
Wisteria Leigh
2008-Fall,non-fiction,memoir,FBI,undercover agent,
Kathleen
The inherently interesting subject matter of this book (undercover FBI investigations) is somehow made pretty boring, primarily because of the structure of the book, which goes all over the place. The extensive flashbacks to earlier investigations in Bob Hamer's career are probably meant to enhance the literary quality of the memoir, but I just found them confusing. The subject matter is quite icky as well, as for Hamer's last undercover assignment he pretended to be a pedophile member of NAMBLA ...more
J
Interesting memoir of a retired 26yr-undercover FBI agent. This guy has some strong personality traits and opinions as I’m sure anyone in his profession would (as a coping mechanism, if nothing else). He doesn’t seem to be glorifying himself, but rather telling a long tale which focuses on his last undercover assignment - infiltrating NAMBLA. The story feels long in certain parts, but Hamer wisely includes ‘flash backs’ to other moments in his undercover career throughout the book to keep things ...more
Traci
Wow. I love little peeks into the lives of people I would otherwise never see. Some of this content is disturbing, but as a parent I found it valuable. On a normal day my mind can not wrap itself around the fact that groups like the NMBLA even exist.
Kristen
Disturbing but so interesting. Guy infiltrates NAMBLA--pedophiles. Parents should read just to help protect their kids from these guys.
Lloyd Chumbley
I think he would have been better served to stick to one story line. To much back and forth.
Stuart Tares
An interesting book on the levels which an undercover US cop has to go to.
Toesnorth's mom
interesting, but scary
Craig Gauvain
Craig Gauvain marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Jessicka Cameron
Jessicka Cameron marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • Overworld
  • Drugs, Oil & War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia & Indochina
  • Southern Lady, Yankee Spy: The True Story of Elizabeth Van Lew, a Union Agent in the Heart of the Confederacy
  • Making Malcolm: The Myth And Meaning Of Malcolm X
  • Too Good to Be True: The Rise and Fall of Bernie Madoff
  • Spymaster: My Thirty-two Years in Intelligence and Espionage Against the West
  • The Indian Slave Trade: The Rise Of The English Empire In The American South, 1670-1717
  • What is America?: A Short History of the New World Order
  • Perfect Spy: The Incredible Double Life of Pham Xuan An, Time Magazine Reporter and Vietnamese Communist Agent
  • Asphalt Nation: How the Automobile Took Over America and How We Can Take It Back
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • 9/11 Synthetic Terror: Made in USA
  • Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution
  • Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama's Attack on Our Borders, Economy, and Security
  • Patton: A Biography
  • Freedom of Expression: Resistance and Repression in the Age of Intellectual Property
  • The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia