Start by marking “What Happy Working Mothers Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Lead to a Healthy and Happy Work/Life Balance” as Want to Read:

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A fact-based and proven approach to help working mothers rediscover happiness as they balance their duties at home and work
Science and sociology have made great strides in understanding what makes us happy and how we achieve it. For working mothers who face endless demands on their time and attention, "What Happy Working Mothers Know" provides scientifically proven and pra
Published August 31st 2009 by Wiley (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What Happy Working Mothers Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happy Working Mothers Know

Lenore Webb
Well we have all heard the saying "If momma ain't happy then no one is happy!" and that is so true.
How do we stay happy? Especially when so many mothers have to juggle so many responsibilities what do we do. Have you lost sight of what makes you happy? Do you make conscious choices every day to take care of your happiness the way you take care of your health?

"What Happy Working Mothers Know" is a new book that guides us in positive psychology to leading a healthy and happy balance in our work an
Sarah Sammis
When I agreed to read and review What Happing Working Mothers Know by Cathy L. Greenberg and Barrett S. Avigdor I was a happily employed mother. By the time I was reading the book I had lost my job of 5 1/2 years due to the contracting economy. Although I'm still unemployed and I'm frustrated by the added stress of making ends meet I'm still happy.

Except for the cheerfully colored circles on the cover, I didn't see much happiness from mothers profiled in the book. I think the authors were trying
Tami
It seems like a “no win” situation. As mothers, if we choose to stay at home, we feel guilty for not being able to provide financially for our family. If we go to work, we feel guilty for not being there for our kids.

What Happy Working Mothers Know reminds us that staying home with our kids or working outside the home is a personal choice. There is no right answer that fits us all. The most important thing is to make sure that we are happy with ourselves and our decisions. Life can get pretty d
Emily
I found parts of this book to be very poignant and uplifting; however, about halfway through it began to feel a little redundant. Great reminders of things to think about when trying to evaluate staying at home vs. working. I wrote down several quotes that I wanted to keep in mind. All in all, nothing overly groundbreaking but a good read if you need some tips on making life work as a working mom.
Dana
Maybe I've read too many of these books but I found this one really boring. I didn't find that the authors had any new information for working moms and I was really annoyed that they continuously quoted themselves. Mommy Guilt is still the best book I've read on this subject.
Angela
I couldn't get past the first couple chapters because I felt like the authors took too long making their points. If they really knew what happy working mothers know, they would realize that they need to write a more succinct, informative book.
Jessica
I didn't have any Aha moments with this one and am not sure what the new findings really were. I did find that while reading, I was more mindful which is helpful when pursuing any practice (i.e., yoga, work/life balance, etc).
Stephanie
Some of this was psycho-babble and some of this assumed that every woman wants to work, but there were also some good tips about attitude and beating mommy guilt.
Alison
I skimmed sections of this but took away some good practical advice. It was the last in the short stack of books that made up my first foray into the self help genre.
Jen
I think I was looking for more of a how-to time management sort of book. A few useful tips, but very wordy.
Sudawn
Happy mothers keep a balanced life and sanity.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Hanan_ar
Hanan_ar is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Robyn Hiensch
Robyn Hiensch marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Amygavartin
Amygavartin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Carla
Carla is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What Happy Women Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Change Women's Lives for the Better What Happy Working Mothers Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Lead to a Healthy and Happy Work/Life Balance Global Leadership: The Next Generation What Happy Companies Know: How the New Science of Happiness Can Change Your Company for the Better Happy at Home, Happy at Work: The Powerful Rewards of Building Character