Start by marking “The Yellow Wallpaper” as Want to Read:
The Yellow Wallpaper

The Yellow Wallpaper

Based on the 1892 "New England Magazine" text, this teaching edition of "The Yellow Wallpaper" includes a generous selection of historical materials. The documents are organized into thematic units and features nineteenth-century advice manuals for young women and mothers; medical texts discussing the nature of women's sexuality; social reform literature concerning women's ...more
Paperback, Bedford cultural editions., 377 pages
Published January 15th 1998 by Bedford/St. Martin's

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow Wallpaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yellow Wallpaper

Dannii Elle
This is one of my all time favourite stories, and rereading it served to remind me why!

The haunting and chilling tale is told so profoundly, evocatively and beautifully in such a short number of words and every time I read this, I am transported into the tale: I become the haunted and unnamed female protagonist and the unsettling effect of the novels permeates into my own reality. Her demise into madness becomes my own.

What strikes me most about this novel is how it portrays the treatment toward
Roya
Nov 13, 2015 Roya rated it really liked it
I wish I had read it at a time I couldn't identify with her so strongly. It seems like a contradictiry statement, but it's not. The degree of my identification was just, well, disturbing.
Elena Delaney
Dec 08, 2015 Elena Delaney rated it it was amazing
Creeped out for the second time by this story. Kind of a Gaslight theme: is the husband trying to help or hurt, free or imprison?
Anca Visan
Dec 01, 2015 Anca Visan rated it liked it
creepy. in a good way I suppose
Kayla DeStefano
Oct 07, 2015 Kayla DeStefano rated it really liked it
Interesting take on the mistreatment of mental health disorders in women.
Jason "Macabre" Rivera
Jan 12, 2017 Jason "Macabre" Rivera rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Classic.
Andrea Mullarkey
Nov 25, 2015 Andrea Mullarkey rated it really liked it
Apparently there is a horror movie made from this short story about a woman who goes insane while staring at the wall paper in the room where she convalesces. Having read it - I can see that. The story is short (under 20 pages) but in that brief space it managed to thoroughly creep me out. The premise is simple: a woman is staying with her husband at a big old house in the country where they have come so she can calm her nerves. She spends much of her time in the big room that used to be a nurse ...more
Tanya Diaz
Dec 09, 2015 Tanya Diaz rated it it was amazing
The Yellow Wallpaper -- disturbs and defiantly straddles the boundaries between mental illness, unconventional perception and reality. What I found interesting was the realization that it wasn't so much the debate between the heroine's being insane vs. having sixth sense, but rather the fact that the protagonist believed in her perception enough to turn it into reality, one which disturbed her enough to DRIVE her insane. The aftertaste of this story after reading it for the first time stays with ...more
Denise
Oct 26, 2015 Denise rated it liked it
Among the books listed as to read women horror stories. I finished this story and drifted off to sleep thinking I needed to reread it. It was good and I liked the fact I needed / wanted to think about it more.

A woman in yearly years of our history finds herself 'recovering' from nerves issues. However the room where she sits has this wall paper... and a story that leaves you wondering.

Fast read that will keep you thinking.
Lindsay
Mar 05, 2015 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: resonating, ladies
Hated it on my first read back in high school. After completing a psych degree and after the budding of some empathy in my cold, dark soul, it got a lot more respect from me--especially upon learning the effect Charlotte Perkins Gilman had on the treatment of psychiatric disorders with the writing of this book! The insight into Victorian-era mental health discourse (or lack of) as well as the narrator's descent into total madness is fascinating. Still creeps me the f out though.
Sky
Sep 19, 2015 Sky rated it it was amazing
Oh my Hell, this book was creepy. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to get a chance to read this, but so glad I finally have. A classic and eerie psychological thriller with no bit of supernatural or paranormal elements, just one crazy lady. The last several pages had my mouth gaping open with shock; I didn’t actually suspect that ending at all. Great read!
Lídia
Feb 19, 2015 Lídia rated it did not like it
A crazy woman who sees her illnes reflected in a horrid yellow wallpaper on the room where she is 'recovering'
A short story where she -Charlotte herself- spent complaining about how horrible is the wallpaer/sickness but at the end she face the problems
Wierd story with a lot of imagination and a great mind to write between lines
Dilanne
Oct 02, 2015 Dilanne rated it liked it
Soumitro Roy
Sep 17, 2015 Soumitro Roy rated it really liked it
"The only thing I can think of that it is like is the COLOR of the paper! A yellow smell."-Gilman

A women,her loving husband, a house and a yellow wallpaper.
A creepy psychological fiction.
An eerie and creepy tale of a woman's liberation . Shaking and pulling to breakout of the pattern that's holding her.
Pants
Oct 18, 2015 Pants rated it it was amazing
Erin Quinney
Mar 13, 2015 Erin Quinney rated it really liked it
Maybe isolation or "rest" therapy for a depressed person isn't the best idea? It's hard to believe people didn't realize this, you know? It makes me wonder what we're doing now, medicall, that, in 50 years, will clearly be viewed as asinine and against all common sense.

Great story.
Varsha S
Sep 28, 2015 Varsha S rated it really liked it
I surprisingly liked it because I usually steer away from classics due to the length and intricate use of language. On the contrary this one was short and the language was simple and clear. It had a twist ending which I like a lot as we don't find that in many books.
Rachel
Dec 09, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
To say "it was amazing" isn't quite right. What is true is this is well-written and thought-provoking, and not to mention terrifying that this was a legitimate practice.
Klay Kubiak
Nov 20, 2009 Klay Kubiak rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite short stories...very distrubing, great ending scene. It'll get under your skin a little bit.
Jeremiah
Nov 13, 2015 Jeremiah rated it it was amazing
Maybe the greatest short story ever written. If you haven't read it stop right now and take the hour or so to get it done.
Mindy
Mar 03, 2015 Mindy rated it really liked it
I loved the voice of this story. I felt like I was being written to, as if she was my penpal or something. Short and sweet, was an interesting diversion from my thesis.
Susan
Nov 29, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
A short story that gives a very different view of the postpartum experience and some insight into depression.
Mandy
May 29, 2009 Mandy rated it really liked it
I read this book in college. I found the story incredibly eerie and there was no supernatural element which made it all the eerier.
Abbi
Feb 28, 2015 Abbi rated it liked it
Not sure how I feel about this. The ending was odd. Although the story was very creepy, which I'm sure was Perkins Gilman's intent.
Kathleen
Dec 21, 2015 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story! I listened to a well-read audiobook, from Librivox I believe; I'll look for more stories by this author.
Rita
Feb 23, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it
I only read The Yellow Wallpaper and I loved it. 4.5 stars.

I loved how creepy and eerie it was. I felt like there was someone watching me behind my back. Great finishing scene as well.
Troutttaylor
Troutttaylor rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Chantel
Chantel rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Addison Johnson
Addison Johnson rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a prominent American sociologist, novelist, writer of short stories, poetry, and non fiction, and a lecturer for social reform. She was a utopian feminist during a time when her accomplishments were exceptional for women, and she served as a role model for future generations of feminists because of her unorthodox concepts and lifestyle. Her best remembered work today i ...more
More about Charlotte Perkins Gilman...