Start by marking “The Ingenuity Gap” as Want to Read:
The Ingenuity Gap
Preview

The Ingenuity Gap

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"The most persuasive forecast of the 21st century I have seen." -- E.O. Wilson, author of Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge and twice winner of a Pulitzer prize

“Human beings have been smart enough to turn nature to their ends, generate vast wealth for themselves, and double their average life span. But are they smart enough to solve the problems of the 21st century?” --
Published May 15th 2001 by Vintage (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Ingenuity Gap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ingenuity Gap

Nick
A long, deep look at how mankind may not be quite intelligent enough to deal with the world's problems, The Ingenuity Gap puts forward strong arguments for us not being able to overcome hyper-complexity, unknown unknowns, environmental disaster and other difficulties, particularly considering most of the world does not have the technological sophistication and political stability of 'the West.' Dixon makes strong arguments against economic optimists who assume that man will conquer all, and alth ...more
Geoeng51
Very interesting book that attempts to deal with a very complex set of issues. Homer-Dixon treats it as a voyage of discovery, which I am sure it was for him and which it can be for us, as we read his book. He develops his ideas of ingenuity and an "ingenuity gap" in regards to world scale problems, whole societies, etc., but the concepts are just as applicable at the smaller scale of our own lives or of the work that we do.
Shadallark
It has been a few years now since I read this book. That said it is one that I think of often, and one of the few non-fiction books that I have read more than once. The information is this book was fabulous, the presentation was engaging, and the content was thought provoking.
adllto
A very interesting book I read after the recommendation of my wife's prof. Far reaching in it's implications I found myself looking at the implications of his ideas in my own fields of interest.

Homer Dixon's central premise is that we have reached a time in history where the gap between the complexity of the problems we have and our ability to produce the possible solutions is now at its widest. Human's ingenuity is our ability to solve the problems but we have reached a period where we cannot s
Idleprimate
i dont't know what to say about this book. it spelled out too many things. too much for my head to hold, even in its simplified form. it tried to be hopeful, without misleading. it did not succeed.

think about that. we alll thought people would pay attention to this book becuase he was a reocgnised scholar. it was not the case.

in the beginning, i might have wondered why so many cities were planning on their own, without and support from on higher up. bit i dont any longer.

but right then in 2001,
Alioune
I enjoyed reading Homer-Dixon's other manuscripts, not much this one. The title itself is insulting and Homer-Dixon has not convinced me of humanity's lack of ingenuity in getting out of his "current" complex problems. The world has always been complex to humanity at all time and all "space" (not new) and has dealt with it with "ingenuity". We will get out of the "global warming" problems, not doubt. Does the author knows what "Complex Adaptive System" means...? Ask the tiny ant and its colony.. ...more
Chad Colgur
The concepts introduced in this book equipped me to think critically about the most pressing problems facing our society. We like to think that competitive pressure somehow spurs ingenuity. History does not provide evidence for that kind of causal relationship. Ingenuity is something essentially human. It is not possible to force someone to "be ingenious". The seeds of that process are much more subtle than we want to admit.
Mark
A very important book about the complexity of human socio-environmental-technological systems and the possibility of system collapse where we have a shortage of ingenuity to manage the increasingly complex systems we've created and impacted. This book strongly impacted my way of thinking about the world and the direction of my life since reading it.
Dave
Similar to Malcolm Gladwell books, in challenging common assumptions about how things do work, compared to how people think they work. A clear statement of why we are doing more multi-disciplinary work, why it is difficult, but also why it is important.

Difficult in areas where the tone gets a bit too dry, in between the exciting anecdotes and stories.
marissa
Homer-Dixon's book places both the blame and the responsibility for resource scarcity on the developing world, basing his ideas on a faulty premise of "natural human ingenuity" as a solution for the strain on the environment that he characterizes as exacerbated by poor countries. His tone is condescending, his thinking narrow, and his conclusion insulting.
Ilya
The author roams the world and asserts that it has become too complex for anybody to understand, environmentally, technologically, economically and politically. He has no substantial evidence for this assertion; the world is obviously complex now, but was it less complex 100 years ago? Look at the official title of Franz Joseph I.
Rose Azmi
How can we solve the problems of the future?????
Is our Wold becoming to complex, and too fast-paced????
This book basically answerers the above questions in details.
If your into Global-Warming and want to make a change.
READ IT
Guswong
this book had no thesis. he didn't really make a solid arguement.
Marc
made it to p. 173 so far...it's just not engaging to me.
Tom
A good introduction to complexity science.
Hippo
Date is approximate.
Jan 12, 2009 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This looks intriguing ...
Jordan
Sep 04, 2007 Jordan added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
An excellent introduction to Chaos theory applied in an interdisciplinary study of the effect of man on the environment and himself.
Sean Sullivan
Sean Sullivan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Vaishnavee Suresh
Vaishnavee Suresh marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Caitlin Dickerboom
Caitlin Dickerboom marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Ryan Russell
Ryan Russell marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Cindy Dockendorff
Cindy Dockendorff marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Christopher A
Christopher A marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
  • The Sciences of the Artificial
  • The Unconscious Civilization
  • Symposium/The Death of Socrates (Classics of World Literature)
  • The Best American Science Writing 2000
  • Choice and Consequence
  • Temperament: How Music Became a Battleground for the Great Minds of Western Civilization
  • Why Things Break: Understanding the World By the Way It Comes Apart
  • Defining the Wind: The Beaufort Scale and How a 19th-Century Admiral Turned Science into Poetry
  • The Sexual Paradox: Extreme Men, Gifted Women and the Real Gender Gap
  • The Night Is Large: Collected Essays, 1938-1995
  • The Matter Myth
  • The Time and the Place and Other Stories
  • Evolution
The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization Carbon Shift Ecoviolence: Links Among Environment, Population, and Security Conflict and the Environment Conflict and the Environment