Start by marking “Welcome to the jungle (Les dossiers Dresden, #0)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to the jungle (Les dossiers Dresden, #0)

Welcome to the jungle (The Dresden Files Graphic Novels 0.5)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,049 Ratings  ·  450 Reviews
Harry DRESDEN
Enquêtes paranormales.
Consultations& conseils.
Prix attractifs.

Harry est l’ unique magicien de Chicago, et sa vie, ce n’est pas du tout cuit.
Quand la police vient le chercher pour résoudre une affaire de meurtre au zoo de Chicago, il y a de la magie noire dans l’air. Et les créatures qu’il doit y affronter font passer gorilles et panthères pour de gentils t
Album, 168 pages
Published March 12th 2010 by Milady Graphic (first published October 14th 2008)

Mario
Apr 15, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not as good as the books, but still really fast and fun read! Only wish there was more Bob in it, but Dresden was hilarious as usual, so I couldn't give it any less than 5 stars.

Would recommend to anyone who's fan of the series.
Daniel
Apr 08, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Klasicna Drezden prica sa puno akcije i one linera. Lep artwork i fin nacin da dobijem vizuelnu podlosku za ovaj svet.

Jedino sto je sama prica suvise jednostavna mada ne cudi kada se uzme da je u pitanju strip u jednoj knjizi.

Ipak za fanove knjiga svaka preporuka.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Wow. This was so fun to read. I am a fan of the Dresden Files urban fantasy series, and it's wonderful to get some visuals to go along with the prose. Butcher wrote the foreword, and he said he was very happy with the way Harry comes out, that he'd always visualized Harry Dresden in this medium, since he grew up as a huge comic book fan. I'd tend to agree. I think the artist did an excellent job of capturing Harry and also Karrin Murphy and Carmichael. He captures Harry's physicality as well as ...more
Nicole
Apr 21, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Harry fans
Recommended to Nicole by: julia Andersen
First read 28 December, 2009. Re-read 28 January, 2012. (The 28s are just a coincidence.) Re-read 31 October, 2013--the last few years, I like to celebrate Halloween with some Harry D. Happy birthday, pal.

A 4 star read in terms of graphic novels, although very simple and streamlined in comparison to any of the regular Dresden novels. A fun, quick read.
Turns out Butcher was inspired to write Harry in part by his love of comic books and characters like Peter Parker. It makes sense. This is a nice
Mar 04, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very cool to get this episode of the Dresden Files in graphic novel comic form. The art was fantastic, really bringing Harry and Murphy (and Bob and Mister) to life.

I'm also glad that Butcher wrote the story himself. The voice was right. So often a graphic interpretation loses the author's special touch.

And of course, this cool little story of the wizard named Harry makes me want to pick up the next Dresden Files novel.

Nicely done, Jim.
The Flooze
Welcome to the Jungle is a prequel story to the Dresden Files, showing one of Harry’s earlier cases for Murph. The story is a little thin, but interesting nonetheless. The illustrations of Harry and the other characters are in line with my own imaginings, although the wizard is a little sterner-looking than he might be. There were also a few continuity issues (a missing staff here, missing glasses there).

What I found most distracting were the boxes detailing Harry’s inner monologue. Since the b
Ivy
5 stars

Awesome comic book. Nice to see a story in the world of The Dresden Files in comic book form. Hags look very creepy. Glad Harry was able to stop them. Wonder if Will will show up again later in the series. Law of the Jungle always prevails. Also glad that Moe didn't die and was able to back with his family. RIP Dr. Reese and others. Very weird comic book too. Would be scary if the supernatural world existed. Can't wait to read more books in the Dresden Files series!!!!!
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Not bad, but not really as engaging to me as the rest of the series. The story is good, the portrayal of the characters is acceptable- i.e. nothing wrong but tough to compare with the images in my head- and the art decent. I like my version of Murphy a litle better- a little rounder in the face, smaller, more compact, with shorter hair- which makes the contrast with some of her attitudes greater and thus more fun. But in all cases, none of the characters are blatantly wrong, such as sticking a h ...more
Patricia
Feb 19, 2009 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could be either a teen or adult graphic novel, since the Dresden Files fiction titles are considered to be adult titles. But if you are a fan, you will want to read this first graphic novel of the Dresden Files, particularly since it's an original story that takes place before his first title Storm Front.

Although there is a lot of violence, it is not very explicit, which makes it more acceptable for teen readers. Since I am an avid fan of the series, I enjoyed it, and particularly liked Bu
Mike
Jul 25, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dresden fans
I recently decided to start reading through the "essential" graphic novels, mostly because I was getting a little bored with the novel I was reading and was looking for a break. While looking for a different title at the library, I came across Welcome to the Jungle. Being a big Dresden fan, I had heard of the novel before, but I had never read it. In fact, I think it's the only published Dresden literature that I had not read...so I had to pick it up.

The bottom line, Welcome to the Jungle plays
Julianna
May 06, 2013 Julianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy or Mystery Graphic Novels; The Dresden Files
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Welcome to the Jungle was another enjoyable short story in the Dresden Files series, this time in graphic novel format. I rarely read graphic novels, but have to say that this one was quite fun. It was kind of like reading a movie or watching a book.:-) The illustrations were very appealing and complimented the text perfectly. They also expressed the emotion and action of the scenes quite well. The illustrator, Ardian Syaf is billed as a rising star in the comic book worl
Giovanni Gelati
Jun 25, 2010 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right off the bat I want to say how much I enjoyed this graphic novel. It opened a door for me that I didn’t expect to go through. I have heard of Jim Butcher and seen his novels on the NYT Bestseller Lists but had not given any of them a chance. What a big mistake. The graphic novel straightened all misconceptions of his characters and his writing style out for me. I am now a huge fan. Ardian Syaf did the artwork and is an awesome collaboration.
The main character, for the uninitiated like mysel
lynne naranek
May 02, 2009 lynne naranek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Jim Butcher admits in the introduction that in his head, Harry Dresden plays out in comic book / graphic novel form, and so he's really excited about the opportunity to "translate" his books into this medium. "Welcome to the Jungle" is a made-for-graphic-novel prequel to Storm Front, in celebration -- and anticipation of -- the books ebing converted into graphic novel form.

I don't appreciate this medium as much as I do a regular, good old book, I admit. However, it doesn't detract from an all-t
Kat
Basic Plot: When bodies begin piling up at a zoo, it's up to Harry Dresden to figure out what supernatural beastie is responsible and stop it before things get worse.

Graphic novels are definitely a different medium than traditional novels. When I first heard that these books were coming out I was worried that they wouldn't capture the characters and their attitudes effectively. This book definitely has the Harry Dresden sarcasm I know and love, though. Harry looks considerably less scruffy than
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I wish I'd never set eyes on this piece of rubbish. Any fan of Harry should stay very far away from this graphic novel (more like a graphic short story). The story is terrible and boring, the illustrations awkward and Harry is embarrassing, there's nothing adorable or vulnerable about him. His self-deprecating just sounds like a lie. There is no subtext, no using your imagination and little even looks as it is described in the books. But worst of all, it's ultra sexist. Disgusting. It's like the ...more
Scott
Aug 28, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was somewhat doubtful going in to this that Butcher's Dresden novels would translate well in graphic novel form, but this really worked! Butcher himself states in the introduction that he has always envisioned his novels as comics when writing them, and here Butcher does a great job of continuing the curt dry humor and crisp dialogue of the books as well as the creepy noir setting. This didn't feel like a watered down version of the novels, in fact it is a new story / investigation set in Harr ...more
Anthony

Eh, for 4 issues I figured that there would be more story. The art is great and the story is original, but I was expecting more...
John
Feb 14, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I am not a connoisseur of graphic novels (more commonly called comic books when I was a child) I picked this up on the strength of the author's reputation. I was not dissappointed. Once again Mr. Butcher provides a witty, fast-paced, spell-binding (no pun intended) story that grips the reader and won't let him go. Butcher collaborated with an up-and-coming artist on the actual flavor of the books, so we got a good look at what Dresden looks like in Butcher's mind. The only surprise there ...more
Shaun Duke
I'm familiar with Butcher's Dresden Files, but I've never read any of the books. Reading the graphic novel, thus, became my first Dresden experience, and it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Welcome to the Jungle follows none other than the infamous Harry Dresden, sorcerer extraordinaire turned mystical detective, as he takes on yet another case: a brutal murder at the Chicago zoo with too many unanswered questions for the poor Chicago PD to handle; that's why they've called Dresden, because his specialty
Sep 21, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am quickly becoming a big fan of the Dresden Files and when I found this graphic novel I had to pick it up and give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this. The story of course was wonderfully entertaining. Jim Butcher does an amazing job writing an entertaining story in such a short venue. I also enjoyed reading his introduction he says he is a fan of comics and Graphic novels and jumped at the chance to work on this project. He just hadn't any idea how hard it would be. ...more
Aki Tman
I love the dresden files, I really do. But this graphic novel is just OK, to give it 4 or 5 stars would be to say it's of the same level as Saga or the wicked + the divine (which i consider to be a 4 star series) and it's just not.
3 stars because its not bad, but it's not good either.
Yodamom
I love the visual view of Harry's world. I read the introduction by Jim Butcher and was thrilled to see that he thinks this Harry is dead on what he see's him looking like. he looks very close to what was in my head as well.
The art work is very well done. Harry is beautiful and strong. Mister is huge ! Murphy was a bit more angry then I pictured her, but hey this book was in the very early stages of their relationship. Kudos to the artist, everything was very emotional.
Harry is hired to find a k
Venus Maneater
I have no idea how this comic came to be in my house, as it's

1) In Dutch, and I prefer to read comics in English
2) Part of the Dresden universe and I have little love for those books (although people insist on telling me that really the next book will really kick the series off, just read the next book! (Dresden fans have been telling me this since the first part and I'm still waiting)

There's no price scribbled on the first pages, so I couldn't have bought it second hand...and there isn't a stic
Timeline wise, this would fit in to the earlier part of the Dresden Files series. Dresden is called in to investigate an odd murder at a zoo, and of course, things go downhill as only they can when he is involved. More murder, mayhem and magic ensue.

Well illustrated - I thought the graphics were spot on for the characters - and a good story. Well worth the read.
Alan
Jul 26, 2016 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This worked better than most of the Dynamite Harry Dresden TPBs stories. There are two reasons for this, well two that come to mind. One is that the story is placed at the beginning of Harry's career so it is not carrying the baggage of the books and short stories written over the years, and two this series is two issues shorter than the other Dynamite series so far. The brevity works.

Add to that that I think some critics are right in saying Butcher is a better short story than novel writer.

The
Alesia
Oct 23, 2008 Alesia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've missed Harry Dresden. This was a great read, and the artwork is gorgeous. Looking forward to more graphic novel adventures with Chicago's Own Wizard.
Vorbis
Feb 20, 2015 Vorbis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like comics - original ones I find hard to read (Sandman), ones with a story that has illustrations as well I find take me twice as long to read (Persepolis), and ones based off stories draw the characters wrong.

Anyway, this comic is a good enough story, well drawn, easier to follow than almost any other comic I'd read. I just don't care for the format I suppose. Also it brings into glaring light something I'd overlooked, which is the hilarity of Harry being 6'9 and Murphy being 5'0.

Al
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {tall, gold & awkward}
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter's 31 Days of Hallo-reads: The FINAL review

What... What is this? Me, reviewing a Dresden Files book?
Why... Why yes. I do believe it is.

All geeking out aside, I do tend to avoid writing reviews for books i'm just gonna fangirl out over. My rating and the shelves I stuck it on should tell you how much I loved it, i.e; The Dresden Files.
But, since this is a comic book (Jim said it best; there's no hate in the term. It's Harry, it's a friggin' comic book) and it's also Harry'
Sarah Maddaford
When I saw that this was a prequel to the Dresden files, I was hoping that I would get to see Harry as a teenager (and you do, briefly). Unfortunately, for me , this takes place not long before the events of Storm Front and gives you an idea of how Harry and Murphy got used to working together (even though it still isn't about their first case together). The story is well designed both graphically and in respects to plot. It was a bit too short for my tastes, but it did have to fit in a limited ...more
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten
  • The Discworld Graphic Novels: The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 6
  • The Teraport Wars (Schlock Mercenary, #2)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love (Kushiel's Legacy #1.5; Phèdre's Trilogy, #1.5; The Dresden Files, #11.5; Outlander, #8.5)
  • Kind (The Good Neighbors, #3)
  • Boneyard, Volume 1: In Full Color
  • Tales of the Vampires (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #2)
  • Ruse, Vol. 1: Enter the Detective
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files Graphic Novels (9 books)
  • The Dresden Files:  Storm Front, Volume 1:  The Gathering Storm
  • The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 1
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 2
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: War Cry
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Down Town (The Dresden Files Graphic Novels #5)
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Wild Card #1 (of 6): Digital Exclusive Edition