Start by marking “Beckett: Waiting for Godot (Landmarks of World Literature (New))” as Want to Read:
Beckett: Waiting for Godot (Landmarks of World Literature (New))

Beckett: Waiting for Godot (Landmarks of World Literature (New))

Waiting for Godot has become one of the most frequently discussed and influential plays in the history of the theater. This volume presents a comprehensive critical study of Samuel Beckett's first and most renowned dramatic work. Lawrence Graver discusses the play's background and provides a detailed analysis of its originality and distinction as a landmark of modern theat ...more
Published June 21st 2004 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Beckett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beckett

Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
Didn't quite present to me much that was groundbreaking to affect my thoughts on the play itself, but this critical essay is worthwhile for its tracing of Beckett's development as a writer, its global picture of the reactions to and influence of Waiting for Godot, and the clear and insightful way Graver explores Beckett's themes and intentions in this play (in the context of his literary life) which seems almost to attempt escape from itself.
M. Italiano
May 08, 2014 M. Italiano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Godot/Beckett fans
I read this directly after reading Waiting for Godot so that I could immediately recall parts of the play, and I will be reading the play again right away so that I can apply so much of what I've learned.

Personally, I gained the most out of the first half of the book. The Genesis and Reception was fascinating, and putting myself in Beckett's time brought a lot to my understanding of the play's brilliance. Chapter Two, Approaching the Play, was what I was looking for, a more in-depth, structured
Karen
Mar 10, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
I was thinking of this today. In high school theater, a friend and I performed a good part of the beginning scene. We both learned a lot from it. It was merely a class exercise, but I still consider it one of the most satisfying roles I played in theater. I still find this play engaging, haunting, mesmerizing.

This is just an excellent play all around. Excellent and important to the world.

Read it, like it, dislike it--whatever you do, don't go blaming on your boots the faults of your feet. Someth
Nancy
Oct 07, 2007 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I read this in high school senior English, and it resonated with me at the time. It frustrated me, it made me question belief, and ultimately, I remember it. :)
Dakota
Feb 03, 2012 Dakota rated it it was ok
A decent read. I think it speaks to a specific audience that I am not anywhere close to. Somewhat reminded me of "Of Mice and Men"
Chris
Apr 05, 2007 Chris rated it it was amazing
Classic, absurd, a great read. But its one of the classics of modern theater, so I don't feel the need to say anything else.
Elijah
Nov 17, 2008 Elijah rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-school
Literature of the absurd at it's finest. What is the purpose of life? Why are we here? Why, we are waiting for Godot!
John Devlin
May 19, 2007 John Devlin rated it did not like it
Two bums talk barely lucidly about nothing. Oh but wait, it's really deep.
Claudia
Jul 28, 2008 Claudia rated it really liked it
the ridiculousness of life, but funnier.
Hari
Nov 17, 2008 Hari rated it it was ok
not as good as Waiting for Guffman
Caroline
Feb 15, 2009 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: lbc-bbc, fiction
Wendy's first pick
Nithya
Nithya marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Jiggly Josh
Jiggly Josh rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Anna C
Anna C rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2016
LS
LS rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Tash
Tash rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Serena
Serena rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Iris
Iris rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Li Woon
Li Woon rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Helen Sepman
Helen Sepman marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Derya Şenol
Derya Şenol rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Aisha
Aisha marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Sara
Sara added it
Jan 26, 2016
chri
chri rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2016
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Santa
Santa added it
Jan 09, 2016
Alex Melidal
Alex Melidal marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
  • Death Of A Salesman By Arthur Miller
  • The Caretaker & The Dumb Waiter
  • Le voyageur sans bagage
  • Caroline, or Change
  • Urinetown: The Musical
  • The Theatre of Tennessee Williams: Battle of Angels, The Glass Menagerie , A Streetcar Named Desire (the Theatre of Tennessee Williams, #1)
  • The Baltimore Waltz and Other Plays