Start by marking “For All My Walking: Free-Verse Haiku of Taneda Santoka” as Want to Read:
For All My Walking: Free-Verse Haiku of Taneda Santoka

For All My Walking: Free-Verse Haiku of Taneda Santoka

In April 1926, the Japanese poet Taneda Santoka (1882--1940) set off on the first of many walking trips, journeys in which he tramped thousands of miles through the Japanese countryside. These journeys were part of his religious training as a Buddhist monk as well as literary inspiration for his memorable and often painfully moving poems. The works he wrote during this tim ...more
Published November 12th 2003 by Columbia University Press (first published September 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about For All My Walking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For All My Walking

body big
in late pregnancy

sound of waves
far off close by
how much longer to live?

January 9,1932.... These days again I’ve been waking up every morning with a hard-on. I think of the well-known saying, “Never lend money to a man whose cock won’t stand up in the morning."

somewhere
inside my head
a crow is cawing

down the weedy
Sean the Bookonaut
Taneda Santoka was a tragic figure - his mother and brother suicided, his father squandered the family fortune and Taneda himself battled an alcoholism that he knew had the better of him.

This tragic life, Burton Watson suggests, is part of the reason he is reserved a place in Japanese literary history (the Japanese apparently have an appreciation for those that mess up their lives completely) the other is his contribution to and continuing development of, Japanese Free Verse Haiku (Haiku without
mahatma
Mar 19, 2011 mahatma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ini keren.
saya tidak mengira bahwa haiku ternyata ada beberapa lagi jenisnya. tidak melulu 5-7-5.
tidak mengira pula bahwa ada tokoh haiku selain matsuo basho, yang terkenal itu.
taneda santouka, lahir di peralihan abad XIX-XX, mewarisi kegelisahan dunia masa itu. kegelisahan antara mempertahankan yang ada dengan menerima hal-hal baru yang belum menjanjikan apa-apa.
rumah tangganya porak poranda, ditambah kebiasaannya minum, ia mengelana. mungkin lebih tepat menggelandang, karena ia hidup secara be
Ad Blankestijn
Taneda Santoka (1882-1940) was both haiku poet and mendicant priest, the last of Japan's priest-poets, a sort of Japanese Jack Kerouac, who in recent decades has becomes immensely popular. His haiku are in free verse form, in other words he doesn't obey the 5/7/5 structure nor does he use season words - this after his teacher, Ogiwara Seisensui (1884-1976), who started the "free-style school of haiku." As a mendicant priest Santoka practiced walking meditation instead of zazen - it is estimated ...more
Robert Rhodes
Mar 27, 2008 Robert Rhodes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could be a wandering mendicant haiku poet, Santoka would be my model, even if he got to liking his sake a little too much and lived a life of occasionally great despair. His writing is pure genius. I wish his voluminous journals, which are represented here briefly, would be published in English. Burton Watson, as readers of Japanese and Chinese translation know, is a master himself.
Duffy Laudick
Jan 21, 2011 Duffy Laudick rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection. It is nice to see the daily life of a poet such as Santoka through his diary entries as well as his poetry. Unlike Ozsai, I think Santoka accepted his life, eventhough he wished for more. I would enjoy reading more of his work.
Red
May 28, 2015 Red rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: far-east
That's me in the window
Nancy
Another recommendation in the world of Haiku. A monk who traveled, drank and wrote Haiku's.. sorta tragic and interesting at the same time.. good read.
Veronika KaoruSaionji
Great poems. I really like Tanedas poetry! ...more
Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Bruno Afonso
Bruno Afonso rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2012
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2011
d
d rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2017
Rebecca Harwell
Rebecca Harwell rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2013
ami-z
ami-z rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Gary Warner
Gary Warner rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2013
Will Buckingham
Will Buckingham rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Engin
Engin rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Anjii
Anjii rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Phil Woolway
Phil Woolway rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Marie Sasago
Marie Sasago rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Jeffrey Harpeng
Jeffrey Harpeng rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Ahmed
Ahmed rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2017
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Brian Pounders
Brian Pounders rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Oleg Prophet
Oleg Prophet rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Tomas
Tomas rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Alex Fyffe
Alex Fyffe rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Santōka Taneda (種田 山頭火) was a Japanese writer and haiku poet, in his last years Zen monk. He is known for his free-verse haiku.
More about Santōka Taneda...

“edge of town