Start by marking “Thrawn Janet” as Want to Read:
Thrawn Janet

Thrawn Janet

THIS 24 PAGE ARTICLE WAS EXTRACTED FROM THE BOOK: Stories by English Authors Scotland, by Robert Louis Stevenson. To purchase the entire book, please order ISBN 1417900334.
Published December 1st 2005 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1881)

To ask other readers questions about Thrawn Janet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thrawn Janet

Philip Yao
Aug 29, 2016 Philip Yao rated it it was ok
This was an extremely difficult read. I could not understand the slang until more than 3/4 of the way through the book I found that it was easier to fill in my unknown words if I skimmed through rather than slowly try to figure out what each word meant. Reading aloud did not help me at all.
Although I only understood a tiny portion of the ending, this small part made the plot appear somewhat interesting.
Madeline Silvas
Jun 16, 2014 Madeline Silvas rated it liked it
Luckily I had hardly any problem with the Scottish accent, except for the word "ken" which was used quite often. I may have to look over it again today because I read it last night in a rather sleepy state. Slightly on the creepy side. One reviewer said she felt like she kept hearing noises in her house that night and I must say I did as well. If I hadn't have been so tired it probably would have freaked me out too.
Nick
Feb 27, 2009 Nick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think the story was good and the reason why I say, I think, is because it was just so damn hard to understand. Its like he wrote it using an extremly thick scottish accent. It was another scary story, I think.
Kelly
Jul 31, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very hard to read in the old Scotts language. I suggest reading it out loud with a scottish accent - I know it sounds ridiculous, but I understood the words better out loud. This was so freaky once I understood it, that right after reading it noises in the house were scaring me to death!
Raina Tellado
Mar 13, 2015 Raina Tellado rated it liked it
This was a nice classic horror story. The only thing was that it was kind of difficult to read since most of it is in a broad Scots dialect.
Rachel Blackney
hard to read but it's a really scary story
Conor O'mahony
Not memorable
Ro Tu
Dec 22, 2016 Ro Tu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Written in Scottish dialect which is difficult to fully understand though easy enough to get the gist of the plot. Beneath the language however is a fairly boring ghost story the likes of which you'd tell around the campfire as children.
Alex
Dec 18, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
More like 3.5
Leah
"Gude guide us, but it was a fearsome face..."

Old Reverend Murdoch Soulis is minister of Balweary in the Vale of Dule. Outwardly severe and composed, his eye is ‘wild, scared and uncertain’ and he seems to see the terrors that may lie ahead in eternity. Once a year, on the 17th August, he preaches a sermon on ‘the devil as a roaring lion’ that terrifies all who hear it, frightening the children into fits. Both Reverend Soulis and the manse where he lives alone and untended are surrounded by an a
D.M.
Feb 26, 2014 D.M. rated it liked it
Thrawn Janet is a bit of a stand-out for Stevenson: not only is it a strange supernatural tale unlike any I've read from him, but he made the interesting choice to write it almost entirely in (I presume) Scottish dialect. The latter can make it a challenging read, but once one is familiar with Stevenson's phoneticism's it becomes easier.
It's a bit of a shame he made this bold choice (one that other writers would surely warn him against today), as within the narrative is a truly chilling tale of
Peter Macdonald
Mar 20, 2016 Peter Macdonald rated it it was amazing
sorry for any of those that see this as pretentious, those complaining about the language barrier don't see the story in the way it was meant to be understood. The whole aspect of the "old Scots dialect" was chosen cleverly by Stevenson, as even at time of writing in 1881 no one in Scotland was speaking like this, especially not now as well. it was used as a tool to suspend disbelief and make the reader feel as alienated as Soulis is in the story. So the language cannot be smething to complain a ...more
Panagiotis
This little story does not have many things to offer, i just read it because it happened to be included in the greek version of the book ''Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde''. Interesting and scary, just helps you spend half an hour, nothing more-nothing less. I guess the fact that the main part is written -in the original text- in the Scottish language, might give to the original version some extra credit and interest.
Daniel Szanto
Sep 18, 2014 Daniel Szanto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling! The dialect really heightens the atmosphere as tension builds up to that climactic scene...
"It's a strange thing that the saul of man should be that thirled into his perishable body; but the minister saw that, an' his heart didnae break."
Mike Jacquez
Aug 25, 2016 Mike Jacquez rated it did not like it
Because of the dialect, I could not get into this story, and I was probably only able to comprehend a good 30% of it.
Rating from 0-100%: 5%
Riah
Apr 04, 2016 Riah rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK ACTUALLY MANAGED TO SCARE ME, I will never forget it.

And as many will tell you it's a bit of a hard read via the Scottish dialect it's written in... But it's worth it.
Francis Poesy
Aug 03, 2012 Francis Poesy rated it it was amazing
This is pretty much my favorite short story of all time and I'm not even sure why. Possibly the Scottish blood in me.
Eileen
Mar 03, 2016 Eileen rated it it was ok
difficult to read as it is written in the Scottish dialect. i enjoyed it more when i listened to it being read
CJ Louis
Nov 24, 2010 CJ Louis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for this book, it was not to interesting, and the fact that there was a language barrier to get over.
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Mandeep
May 20, 2014 Mandeep rated it did not like it
Hard to understand, 'accented' style.
Did not particularly enjoy the manner in which it was worded.
Maikoll Marquez
Maikoll Marquez rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Luciano Letizia
Luciano Letizia rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2015
Samuel Regueira
Samuel Regueira rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2017
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Annie Jalali
Annie Jalali rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2012
Deniz Lindenbergh
Deniz Lindenbergh rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2013
Victor
Victor rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Meruyert
Meruyert rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
ChillyCreator
ChillyCreator rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is onl
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...