Start by marking “Thrawn Janet” as Want to Read:
Thrawn Janet

Thrawn Janet

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  14 reviews
THIS 24 PAGE ARTICLE WAS EXTRACTED FROM THE BOOK: Stories by English Authors Scotland, by Robert Louis Stevenson. To purchase the entire book, please order ISBN 1417900334.
Published December 1st 2005 by Kessinger Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Thrawn Janet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thrawn Janet

Raina Tellado
This was a nice classic horror story. The only thing was that it was kind of difficult to read since most of it is in a broad Scots dialect.
D.M.
Thrawn Janet is a bit of a stand-out for Stevenson: not only is it a strange supernatural tale unlike any I've read from him, but he made the interesting choice to write it almost entirely in (I presume) Scottish dialect. The latter can make it a challenging read, but once one is familiar with Stevenson's phoneticism's it becomes easier.
It's a bit of a shame he made this bold choice (one that other writers would surely warn him against today), as within the narrative is a truly chilling tale of
Kelly
Very hard to read in the old Scotts language. I suggest reading it out loud with a scottish accent - I know it sounds ridiculous, but I understood the words better out loud. This was so freaky once I understood it, that right after reading it noises in the house were scaring me to death!
Nick
I think the story was good and the reason why I say, I think, is because it was just so damn hard to understand. Its like he wrote it using an extremly thick scottish accent. It was another scary story, I think.
Rachel
hard to read but it's a really scary story
Conor O'mahony
Not memorable
Leah
"Gude guide us, but it was a fearsome face..."

Old Reverend Murdoch Soulis is minister of Balweary in the Vale of Dule. Outwardly severe and composed, his eye is ‘wild, scared and uncertain’ and he seems to see the terrors that may lie ahead in eternity. Once a year, on the 17th August, he preaches a sermon on ‘the devil as a roaring lion’ that terrifies all who hear it, frightening the children into fits. Both Reverend Soulis and the manse where he lives alone and untended are surrounded by an a
Madeline Silvas
Luckily I had hardly any problem with the Scottish accent, except for the word "ken" which was used quite often. I may have to look over it again today because I read it last night in a rather sleepy state. Slightly on the creepy side. One reviewer said she felt like she kept hearing noises in her house that night and I must say I did as well. If I hadn't have been so tired it probably would have freaked me out too.
Panagiotis
This little story does not have many things to offer, i just read it because it happened to be included in the greek version of the book ''Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde''. Interesting and scary, just helps you spend half an hour, nothing more-nothing less. I guess the fact that the main part is written -in the original text- in the Scottish language, might give to the original version some extra credit and interest.
Daniel Szanto
Thrilling! The dialect really heightens the atmosphere as tension builds up to that climactic scene...
"It's a strange thing that the saul of man should be that thirled into his perishable body; but the minister saw that, an' his heart didnae break."
Mandeep
Hard to understand, 'accented' style.
Did not particularly enjoy the manner in which it was worded.
Boris
very difficult due to the use of regional dialect
Tim Canny
This is pretty much my favorite short story of all time and I'm not even sure why. Possibly the Scottish blood in me.
CJ Louis
I did not care for this book, it was not to interesting, and the fact that there was a language barrier to get over.
Anely
Anely is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Dana Ocampo
Dana Ocampo marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Ahmed Ibrahim
Ahmed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...
Treasure Island The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1) A Child's Garden of Verses