The Friendly Guide to Mythology: A Mortal's Companion to the Fantastical Realm of Gods Goddesses Monsters Heroes

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  6 reviews
How was the world as we know it created? What does it mean to be a hero? Where do we go when we die? Why are flood myths so ubiquitous? Anyone who has pondered these and other questions about humanity's ancient beliefs will be fascinated by The Friendly Guide to Mythology. Focusing on Greek and Roman mythology but including myths from Africa, Asia, Australia, northern Euro...more
Published August 26th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 2000)

Lindsey
I bought this for a mythology paper I had to write in college. I love it because it doesn't just focus in on Greek and Roman mythology, but myths from all over the world. It's not a boring read...it's kind of like Mythology Chic-Lit, light and airy. The goddess on the cover even has red stilettos. It doesn't go into huge detail on any one type of myth, but kind of flits around so that the reader gets a true sampling of world mythology.

The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because if yo...more
Adonis
This is the mother load of all myths fit into one book. i pick this book up after reading my last greek mythology book, and i saw that this book had some greek myths in it along with many other culutures myth, so i hgave it a shot and i was hooked right away. It was really intresting to see how so many religions were so similiar, they all had similar storys, similar characters and similar powers which i found intresting and scarry. I was really thinking while reading this book, what if christian...more
Angelia Fransisca Rusli
I love this book as it tells us myths from all over the world. Starting from how the world was created, how men were created to the ragnarok itself. Plus, we got some explanation about major & minor goddesses and also major heroes from all myths.

Written in a story-form-like, this book is really a friendly guide to those who're new to mythology. As a newbie myself, I found this book to be very useful.
Emily
I read this book for a class, and I the assigned reading wasn't cover to cover, but I did end up reading most of it at some point. It's well written and has a ton of myths in it, and well it does focus on the Greek Pantheon a bit much for my taste, I still really enjoyed it.
Jesse
This was my textbook in my "Myths and Meanings" English class my first semester in college and it was excellent. So many different mythologies are detailed, with little helpful profiles of gods, goddesses and creatures. Completely fantastic, fun read.
Tristy
This is a fantastic reference book written with a wonderful sense of humor.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Munch
Munch is currently reading it
May 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Everett Pantaloons
Everett Pantaloons marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Kelli Annette
Kelli Annette marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Janeal
Janeal marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Za_queen
Za_queen marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Emma Bain
Emma Bain marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2014
Chelle
Chelle marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Unicorn The Friendly Guide To The Universe Native American Portraits Halloween Crafts and Cookbook Giving Sorrow Words: How to Cope with Grief and Get on with Your Life