Firebird

Firebird

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Bring me the Firebird, or I swear by my sword, your head will no longer sit upon your shoulders!

A retelling of a popular Russian folktale

Demi's retelling captures the charm and drama of this favorite Russian folktale, while her lavish, gilded illustrations vividly evoke the grand setting and daring adventures.
Published May 1st 2005 by Owlet Paperbacks (first published May 1st 1994)

Arrow of the Mist by Christina MercerThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Last Dragon Slayer by Martyn StanleyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Magical and Mystical Creatures (Titles ONLY)
305th out of 487 books — 125 voters
The Endless Steppe by Esther HautzigAnastasia's Album by Hugh BrewsterBaboushka and the Three Kings by Ruth RobbinsThe Tale of Tsar Saltan by Alexander PushkinThe Fool and the Flying Ship by Eric Metaxas
Tour of Russia
21st out of 25 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
I have actually first heard of this tale from Rabbit Ears’ version of The Firebird which was narrated by Susan Sarandon, but now I have finally stumbled upon Demi’s version of the classic Russian folktale, “The Firebird.” “The Firebird” is about a young archer named Dimitri who finds a firebird feather and goes on an adventure of a lifetime in fulfilling the Tsar’s greedy needs! “The Firebird” is a truly wonderful classic folktale that children everywhere will love for many years!!

I am a huge fa...more
Kathryn
May 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Demi fans, those looking for versions of "Firebird" tale
3.5 STARS. I wanted to like this more than I actually did, since I'm a huge Demi fan. The illustrations are still gorgeous, no doubt about it! But, the story was a little... I don't know... lacking in a "magic" sort of feel to it. (Maybe it was just my mood at the time.) It seemed a bit perfunctory. Even so, Demi fans will still be pleased with the illustrations--and horse lovers will enjoy the inclusion of the Horse of Power.
Miriam
Gold almost overwhelms the pretty illustrations and, indeed, almost the story itself. The Horse of Power, the only really likable character, and other natural elements such as the lobsters and trees save the book from nonentity. The main character is pretty much a tool (giving the object of your affection drugged wine and carrying her off for a forced marriage with an evil old man is pretty much non-heroic in my book) and Vasilisa in this rendering is kind of a wimp, but the Horse is pretty awes...more
Jessica
I never knew the story of the Firebird before reading this re-telling by Demi. I knew of the Firebird suite by Stravinsky, but never knew the story itself. It's a wonderful Russian Folk tale where everybody (good) seems to live happily ever after. What is most striking is the incredible use of gold leaf throughout the illustrations--reflects the fact very well through the illustrations that it is a Russian folk tale.
Dolly
Aug 19, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2009, childrens, russia
This is another great book by Demi; a classic folktale with Demi's inimitable and intricate illustrations. A great story to read aloud to older children. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Angela
The Firebird is folklore for primary to intermediate readers. The Firebird is about a boy named Dimitri who is ordered to find a firebird by an evil Tsar, in Russia, after finding the bird’s feather. Dimitri eventually captures the Firebird with the help of his magical horse. This is a fascinating tale; however, I only gave the book four stars because of the illustrations. If not for the illustrations, I would have given the book three stars. The illustrations are bright, shiny, and magical…they...more
Julia Miller
This beautiful picture book has striking illustrations styled to resemble Russian folk art. Limned in gold, each picture is stimulating and fascinating, inviting closer study. It reflects the styling of illuminated texts and honors the origin of the folktale it accompanies. The story itself follows a fairly typical Russian folk tale pattern, and is unimpressive, but written decently.

I would consider using this gorgeous book as a lead in to an art project for students between 2nd and 5th grade.
Kim
Even though the "young archer" spends a lot of time "weeping bitterly" and the "Horse of Power" has a bit of a monopoly on common sense, Firebird was a fairly decent retelling. The illustrations, however, left a lot to be desired: apart from highly stylized onion domes and the characters' clothing, nothing of Russia's art or culture really comes across. Demi certainly has a particular style, but I think that style would hardly have been compromised by a bit more Russian flavor.
Lynn
This is another beautiful Demi book with gold embossing. The Firebird is a Russian tale about a girl engaged to marry an elderly, cruel Tsar. She figures out tasks that a young nobleman must achieve before she will consent to marry the Tsar but the Tsar is not the object of attraction.
Anderson
This book has a lot of imagination. My favorite part was when the archer got the hand of princess Vasillisa and the part of the story when his horse of power told him not to take the firebird's feather.
Sherry
Magical, ancient Russian folktale, with captivating illustrations. Breakfast book club, 2nd grade.
Mckinley
Didn't like this version of the story that much. Also not a favorite tale either.
Enki K.
Enki K. marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Shelli
Shelli marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Aprilleigh
Aprilleigh marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Disha Sankhla
Disha Sankhla marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Maxwell
Maxwell marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Katie Smolkovich
Katie Smolkovich marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Suzy Bomgardner
Suzy Bomgardner marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Demi (September 2, 1942) born Charlotte Dumaresq Hunt, is an award-winning children’s book author and illustrator. During her career she has published over 300 titles.

Demi was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She is the great-grand daughter of the American painter William Morris Hunt, and the great-grand niece of architect Richard Morris Hunt. Demi earned her nickname as a young child when her fa...more
More about Demi...
The Empty Pot One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale Liang and the Magic Paintbrush Gandhi The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey