Start by marking “Castles: Their Construction and History” as Want to Read:
Castles: Their Construction and History

Castles: Their Construction and History

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Concise, scholarly survey traces castle development from ancient roots in the Levant, thru Roman times & the Middle Ages. Nearly 200 photos & drawings illustrate moats, keeps, baileys etc. Covers Caernarvon Castle, Dover Castle, Hadrian's Wall, the Tower of London etc. 199 black-&-white illustrations.
Preface
The ancient fortresses of Babylon, Mesopotamia, Assyri
Published December 1st 1985 by Dover Publications (Mineola, NY) (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Castles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castles

Pamela(AllHoney)
It was informative and interesting. The illustrations were helpful. The book covers the history and fortification of castles from ancient times on through to the 16th century. It would have been better if there had been a glossary to define some of the terms.
Lady of the Lake
Nov 06, 2008 Lady of the Lake rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Castle lovers, history buffs, those doing research on castle construction
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating work! No frills to the point of the how and the why of castle construction. From wooden to stone and the reasons why things changed as warfare did. Really a wonderful factual fascinating work with drawings and diagrams.
Philip Athans
Research for historical novel set in the Crusades continues. . . .

A solid overview, but lacking in detail. A good starting point.
Marisa
This book is unique among castle books as it includes floor plans for many castles.
Kristopher
I bought this years ago as research for a novel. Plans change, though, and I never wrote the novel or read the book. Going through a phase of interest in the Middle Ages now, I finally picked it up.

About half this book is dedicated to describing the layouts of different castles across Europe and "the Levant." (Written in 1939, it has some wonderfully archaic language.) I admit I skimmed those parts, but I still enjoyed the historical facts Toy sprinkles throughout, like the different purposes o
Apryl Anderson
Not exactly a gripping read, but danged fascinating to see the development of defenses and offensive weaponry spanning from 1600 BCE to 1600. I've been extremely fortunate to have lived around the Roman empire, and i regret that i didn't read this book earlier. Traveling backwards and forwards in time without the aid of helpful references gave me a disjointed understanding of what Toy so neatly unravels in these pages. I'm quite jealous of his scholarly purposefulness--what better way to support ...more
Peter
Very detailed but tedious
Adrien Iliopoulos
Adrien Iliopoulos marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Dionysia Glava
Dionysia Glava marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Maria Lourdes
Maria Lourdes marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
David
David added it
Sep 02, 2014
Kurt Criscione
Kurt Criscione marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Benjamin Bergia
Benjamin Bergia marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Chris Vickio
Chris Vickio marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Lana
Lana added it
Jul 18, 2014
Ulina
Ulina marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014