Start by marking “Hot Diggity Dog: the History of the Hot Dog” as Want to Read:
Hot Diggity Dog: the History of the Hot Dog

Hot Diggity Dog: the History of the Hot Dog

If we are what we eat, Americans are hot dogs. We ate them on the way to the moon and served them to the king of England. We name a Hot Dog? Eating Champ! Garnished with hilarious illustrations and amazing ?foodie? facts, this kid-friendly, globespanning history of our favorite fast-food meal offers unique insight into America?s multicultural heritage. From a hobo?s franks ...more
Published May 13th 2010 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hot Diggity Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Diggity Dog

Rachel
May 26, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Hot Diggity Dog is book about the history of the hot dog that contains many interesting facts about this food. For example, did you know people eat more hot dogs in July than in any other month? Or that ancient Romans ate while lying on couches since they believed it was bad manners to sit up while eating? The Romans also used ground up mustard seeds to treat war wounds.

Also, a man from San Jose, California won $20,000 in a hot dog eating contest by eating 68 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes. Rea
Meredith
Making an excellent contribution to genre of children's picture book nonfiction, Hot Diggity Dog gives a delightful lite overview of the hot dog, an all-American classic food. Using zany illustrations and succinct text, it traces the hot dog's history, beginning with the murky origins of sausage in the ancient world and its rising popularity in the Roman Empire and ending with the hot dog's emergence in the United States in 1860's and its place in 20th Century culinary history.
The sidebars prov
Heather
Jun 28, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: j-books, non-fiction
I LOVE hot dogs, literally I think they may be my favorite food so when I saw this children's book I had to read it! But now I'm hungry after reading about all the delicious kinds of hot dogs! Chicago dogs, Kansas city dogs, New York city dogs, Coney Island dogs, Southern slaw dogs, corn dogs (my FAV!), Tex-Mex dogs, pigs in a blanket (YUMMM!!!)
Did you know at Hillbilly Dogs in Lesage, West Virginia hot dogs are topped with ketchup, cheese and scrambled eggs! And at Pink's in Los Angeles you can
Autumn
Apr 04, 2014 Autumn rated it really liked it
K picked this book up from his school library.

I thought this was a very interesting read. I honestly have not thought about where Hot Dogs were originally from or anything. But I learned a lot within this book. And I know K did as well. K enjoyed learning about the eating contest and has decided he wants to set a new world record with eating hot dogs.
This is a fun book to read with the younger and older kiddos if they care about the history of hot dogs. You will probably learn a lot that you ma
Alison Rankn
Oct 15, 2016 Alison Rankn rated it really liked it
I liked this book about hot dogs. It entertaining to read and full of fun, factual information that most people would not know about hot dogs. I really liked how the author made the book engaging and interesting by including a lot of historical information about the hot dog over the years. The illustrations fit perfectly with the text and they were unique and fun. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves hot dogs or just food in general. This would be a good book for students to use to le ...more
Susan
May 04, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Here I go with my picture books for older kids, but I love them! This is a non-fiction book that will naturally attract kids and help introduce middle-graders to research by grabbing their attention with a fun topic. It has fun illustrations and an assortment of text formats. It isn't off-putting with too much imformation, so I would love to use it as an introductory tool with note-taking skills.
Maggi Rohde
Apr 27, 2010 Maggi Rohde rated it it was ok
While the fun facts and illustrations were whimsical, there were several things I missed in this picture book history of hot dogs. One in particular was a cartoon diagram of how a hot dog is made; young readers love a step-by-step explanation of things like that, especially when they involve machinery. I found the haphazard page layout distracting and the writing sometimes hard to follow, especially in the tiny-print fact boxes.
Christine Turner
Jan 07, 2013 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv-non-fiction, blog
HCPL Juv Nonfiction 641.36 Syl

If we are what we eat, Americans are hot dogs. We ate them on the way to the moon and served them to the king of England. this book offers unique insight into America's multicultural heritage. From a hobo's franks-and-beans to astronaut food, there's more to the wiener and what's for dinner than you think.

Subject: Frankfurters -- History -- Juvenile literature.
Cooking (Frankfurters) -- Juvenile literature.
Food -- History -- Juvenile literature.
Susie
Audience: open

Story: A pictorial fact book linked with historical events about the humble hot dog in the American culture from its beginning as a Greek sausage (Odyssey by Homer) through Europe to food cart in 19th century New York City.

Writing: Cleverly written and colorfully illustrated in cartoon fashion. Side bars list facts/factoids. Two recipes are included at the end.

FYI: July is National Hot Dog Month.
Leigh
Mar 20, 2012 Leigh rated it liked it
I should probably give this book more stars. It includes interesting factoids, cute illustrations and sites and books for further reading. Kids will (pardon the pun) gobble it up. But I detest hot dogs, so for totally selfish, illogical reasons, I am only giving it three stars. Now, if the author would write about Tex-Mex food, I'm all over it!
Dodie
Jun 01, 2010 Dodie rated it it was amazing
As much as I try to eat healthy, hot dogs are a major weakness of mine so this title arrived like a love letter! Full of wonderful and interesting facts and clear narrative, foodies of every stripe will enjoy browsing the pages, taking in Elwood Smith's absolutely hysterical illustrations - just look at the cover! A couple of recipes and a short resource list is included.
Shellys♥ Journal
Sep 26, 2011 Shellys♥ Journal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Loved reading this book with my kiddos. The story of how the hot dog came to be - and how it has evolved to become part of our culture. Filled with lots of fun facts about hot dog and eating. Even discusses the "unhealthy" aspect of hot dogs - ie you don't want to eat hot dogs every day.

We all enjoyed this and it made us want to go out for a dog!
Duane
Jul 29, 2010 Duane rated it liked it
Anyone interested in the history and trivia of hot dogs will love this book. Even though this is considered Juvenile Non-Fiction, adults will enjoy the information this author provides. The illustrations really make this book fun to read. If you're interested in knowing more about hot dogs, this is your book!
Bethe
May 01, 2012 Bethe rated it really liked it
Everything you wanted to know about the hot dog and were afraid to ask! Loved the crazy illustrations, the consistent layout of information added to easy reading of this book by individuals or to a group as a read aloud. I've got some ideas for a SMART Board lesson to go with this one for Bluebonnet season in the fall when school starts up again.
Official ATPE
Click here for discussion questions from ATPE!

2012-2013 Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List (grades 3-5)
Karen
Was one of the NFPB nominated for Cybils awards this past year. I wanted to review it finally, so thought I would reread again. Just as delightful the 2nd time.

Great mentor for writing.

Strategies: good cause/effect

also sequencing through time
Denise Hudson
Jul 11, 2012 Denise Hudson rated it liked it

My first Bluebonnet book of the year. A fun look at the history of the hot dog. My nine-year-old loved it, and went around quoting facts from it. For example, did you know there was a peanut butter flavored hot dog?
Nancy Jo Lambert
This was a very interesting book. I see this as being a great spark for inquiry activities! There seem to be a lot of facts in this book, but the bibliography seemed a little... sparse. I would definitely challenge my students to investigate the validity of a lot of this book. You know, for fun.
Deb
Fun book, full of hot dog facts. Main paragraph per page with side bars. Perhaps I should be giving this more stars for being good in its category, but something feels missing, and I need to read more of this type to make true comparison.
Colette
Nov 01, 2012 Colette rated it it was amazing
Did you know where and when the hot dog began? I thought I did, but the origins go back hundreds of years in the informational book about the history of the hot dog!
Joanne
Jan 02, 2011 Joanne rated it it was amazing
this is my kind of nonfiction. The text tells about the history and the side bars give hot dog trivia.
Elizabeth
May 18, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Daxon and I really enjoyed this one. Full of fun facts, great illustrations and even a couple of recipes. Very fun book.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
An entertaining history of the hot dog. Lots of neat facts are embedded along the sides of the pages. Fun cartoon type illustrations highlight the text. Enjoyable book.
Nitza Campos
May 22, 2012 Nitza Campos rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books

I 'd really like to give this book 3.5 stars. Cute picture book about the history of the hot dog. The margins have fun and interesting facts about the hot dog and other foods. Quite interesting!
Cathy Dougherty`
Dec 15, 2011 Cathy Dougherty` rated it it was amazing
This was a very good history of the hot dog. It has some great and interesting facts that the kids will really enjoy.
Alyssa
May 12, 2012 Alyssa rated it liked it
I did this book for a book report....it is kind of random but has lots of facts about hot dogs! If you have lots of questions about the history of the hot dog, this is the book for you! ;)
Christina Gonzalez
Feb 25, 2010 Christina Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
I got a chance to read this wonderfully illustrated picture book in its early form because I'm friends with Adrienne (the writer) and I know it's going to make a great summertime book!
Melanie
Jul 04, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
TX Bluebonnet Nominee. Loved this book. Very informative. The kids I read it to loved it as well.
Jun 09, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Great book on the history of hot dogs. Great for middle grades. Wonderful for exploring how different cultures all impact each other with food.
Cornmaven
Feb 03, 2012 Cornmaven rated it liked it
Cute history of the hot dog. Not a ton of substance, but adequate. Not sure why it was chosen as a Bluebonnet.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Coral Reefs
  • Clever Jack Takes the Cake
  • Vote for Me!
  • The Great Migration: Journey to the North
  • Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals (World of Weird Animals)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
Adrienne Sylver grew up in Ohio and like many Buckeyes who dislike shoveling snow, piling on fifteen layers of clothing, and blowing their nose for six months of the year, she escaped after college to the sunshine of Florida. Today, she lives in Miami with her husband, Mike, their two children. She has a bachelor’s degree from Ashland College (now known as Ashland University) and a master’s degree ...more
More about Adrienne Sylver...