Start by marking “Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson” as Want to Read:
Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson
Preview

Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  4,992 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Fear and Loathing creates a sharp and savvy profile of one of the most provocative voices and distinctive personalities of our time. To Hunter S. Thompson, being a Gonzo journalist means doing whatever it takes to get to the truth; everything from dropping acid with Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters in the 60s, to participating in wild orgies and getting his nose broken w ...more
Published March 19th 2004 by Da Capo Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Fear and Loathing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear and Loathing

more satisfying as a whole than the "oral history" bio by Wenner et al, although less vivid in some ways... Everyone seems to think it was a tragic waste of talent, the way this guy just spent his time as a burnout, ripping editors off and rarely producing quality work... And there are some very ugly suggestions in one or another of these biographies, as to the truly dangerous psychological make-up of Dr Thompson. But everyone should be given the space and information to form their own conclusio ...more
Andoni
May 11, 2008 Andoni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Andoni by: Miss Kristy
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

How many of us had dreamed with leaving everything and running away to live a life full of excess, cutting with your normal and ordinary life? Wouldn’t you like to stop the monotony of your every day life? Then “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” is a book that you should read. The book can be the reflection of the life of more than one that left everything in search of the so called “American Dream”.
The uncertainty and locomotion that Hunter S. Thompson gives to this
Katie2225
While reading this book, I awoke to a ferret walking around on my bed.

I was not on drugs.

I was not dreaming.

I did not own a ferret.
Hugh Ashton
Disappointing in some ways - it gives the story behind the story and de-Gonzos some of the best anecdotes, while attempting to explain some of the motivations that made HST what he was (a prisoner of his own legend). It was published in 1992, which means that the infamous Bill Clinton and french fry incident isn't mentioned, nor does it deal with HST's outrage against the Generation of Swine.

It does, however, (and this is natural, given the sources) spend a lot of time on the relationships betwe
Amy M
I am finished with the book and I didn't want to put it down. I am tried to savor every page. I had seen the movie with Johnny Depp and I must say that both he and Terry Gilliam really nailed this book on the head when adapting it to the movie! It's a fun read for sure! Thompson was one crazy guy!
John
May 05, 2013 John added it
This book must have the most exciting, hilarious and appalling opening of almost any story. I thought that the Johnny Depp movie didn't live up to the book, when I saw the movie the first time. However, upon a second watch, I think it held up pretty well in comparison. The movie also reminded me of a cool line that Thompson says about how sitting his hotel room in Las Vegas after this drug filled weekend from hell in a hotel full of police, he almost thought he could see the highwater mark left ...more
Lynne Larkin
Basically Hunter Thompson was a selfish self centered asshole who took drugs in massive quantities drank like a fish and beat up his wife and girlfriends. If I had anything else to read I would have burned this crappy book.
I never liked Thompson's writing and now I dislike him as a person
Rob
Paul Perry shows as much of HST's true nature as anyone may ever see. The reader can appreciate the genius of HST's writing gift, and see deep into the man's flaws. HST was the right man for his times, and those times were not always sunny and pretty. In fact HST, took us into the very dark and ugly places of American culture, and this book shows us what made him the right man for that journey. I don't know if I would have liked Mr. Thompson if I ever met him, but this book reveals how he made h ...more
Zeenat
Hunter S. Thompson is the father of Gonzo journalism, which blurs the line between fiction and non-fiction in news writing. However, I found this book eye opening to the actual day to day existence of such a profound icon of modern America, and in his own right a leader of generations of non-conformist individuals.

Unlike other biographies that I have read, this is amusing, at times light hearted, and basically places you as Hunter's ghost, following his every move from childhood through his dru
Ryan Thomas
The story behind this book is interesting. Essentially, Thompson screwed Perry by not writing a story he was supposed to, so Perry, to get back at Hunter, wrote this bio about him. I liked this better than Gonzo, because I found the tone and perspective weren't as "Thompson is God." It was well researched and easy to read.
Ron
I doubt that there will ever be a definitive biography of the great one, but this is a very entertaining portrait of the early life that formed the sensibilities of the greatest journalist of this or any other time. Essential reading for fans of Hunter or the truth.
furious
Feb 24, 2009 furious rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: only obsessive HST completists
Shelves: bio, mines
if i had read this when i first heard about it (back in the 1990s), i may have liked it. but at this point, it really has nothing to offer. and some of what it does offer has since been discredited by numerous other sources. don't waste your time.
S.J. Pettersson
"The final crest of the wave, the high water mark". Oy vey...
Every time I see a big red shark on the road I get goosebumps...
Jim Schwitzer
This was a good start to learning about Thompson's life, but I would recommend the oral biography if you want a better history.
Lee
i read this before i read anything by hunter s. thompson and it formed a negative view of him in my mind.
Paul
Great book! I'm really enjoying reading this, it's humorous and moves along at a good pace.
Alicia
Very over the top. Seemed well-researched, if not particularly well written. Interesting stories.
Lydia Gurevich
One of the best -- if not THE best -- H. S. Thompson biographies ever written.
Ray (user2637)
Love. Lovelovelove. The audiobook and the movie are good too.
Patti
Apparently Hunter S Thompson was a complete jerk.
Matt
Great Biography of Hunter S. while he was still alive.
Scott Hamilton
its abook i could read over again and still get lost in it
Jed Haldeman
A great compliment to all of HST's writings
Allieshae
Interesting take on Hunter S. Thompson.
Monique
Great story! Love H.S.T.
Robert Ross
What else is there to say?
Jen
  • Outlaw Journalist
  • Gonzo
  • Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs
  • When The Going Gets Weird: The Twisted Life And Times Of Hunter S. Thompson:  A Very Unauthorized Biography
  • Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • I Celebrate Myself: The Somewhat Private Life of Allen Ginsberg
  • Gonzo: A Graphic Biography of Hunter S. Thompson
Paul Perry is an author of a wide variety of subjects from near-death experiences to biographies of authors including Hunter S. Thompson. He is also a documentary film maker. Perry's writing and film making earned him a knighthood in the Royal Family of Portugal.

There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
More about Paul Perry...
On the Bus: The Complete Guide to the Legendary Trip of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters and the Birth of the Counterculture Jesus in Egypt: Discovering the Secrets of Christ's Childhood Years Expedition Whydah: The Story of the World's First Excavation of a Pirate Treasure Ship and the Man Who Found Her در آغوش نور 9: آن جا که خدا میزید: علم ماورای طبیعی و این که چگونه مغز ما، به عالم هستی متصل و وابسته است در آغوش نور 8: دگرگونی و تحولی که آدمی با نور الهی در وجود خویشتن تجربه میکند