Start by marking “Praying Our Goodbyes” as Want to Read:
Praying Our Goodbyes

Praying Our Goodbyes

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Letting go of what we cherish is one of the hardest things we ever have to do. And that includes letting go of jobs, homes, relationships, good health, illusions, self-importance, and even loved ones. But unless we learn to say goodbye as well as hello, we are crippled by our suffering.
This tender and realistic book can be your personal guide to accepting our inevitable go
Published February 1st 1988 by Ave Maria Press (first published December 31st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Praying Our Goodbyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying Our Goodbyes

Lynda
P. 92 "This book is about goodbyes and how they happen in our lives and about what happens to us because of them. It is also about hellos."
I highly recommend this book. It is a very good book on transitions, whether it is a death of a loved one or a child going to college. It applies to all the transitions we may experience. There has to be a goodbye before we are ready to 'hello' to a new beginning.
Mary Pat Lichtman
Prayer helps train the mind and heart to meet life's challenges and understand our inner responses. Since my husband was diagnosed with a very aggressive stage IV cancer in September, 2012, this has helped me reflect on the important things in life and learn more about how to let go when there is no other choice.
Julie
Everyone should have a copy of this at home. I've given it as a gift numerous times. Joyce Rupp helps define the internal journey we experience during times of grief in the firt half of the book. Her style is unique and gives fresh insights. Grief is not only experienced in death, but in so many dimensions of life - the letting go of any relationship involves grieving something lost. The second portion of the book offers suggestions for personal prayer experiences for a broad variety of experien ...more
Patti Clement
This is an excellent book that I have used personally and have recommended to others when grieving. Recognizing that grief is not just about losing a loved one, the author does an excellent job engaging the reader in how to let go of anything we are called to surrender. Highly recommend to anyone because we all grieve at one time or another and sometimes don't realize our need to grieve.
Drshar
Does it get easier as you grow older? One would think conditioning to loss overtime would ease the pain, as Woody Allen said, "the heart is a resilient muscle" and we would just move on. Rupp shows the path of prayer - a covering mist to protect your vision each time to back and to slow your steps as you move forward.
Joyce
This book is beautifully written. Sister Joyce speaks straight to your heart. She knows loss and the "spirituality of change". And yes, hellos after goodbyes. You can feel Sister Joyce's words. This book will remain with me and I know I'll be back to it often.
Brian White
This is one of my all-time favorite books and I have turned to it time and time again during times of loss and transition (like now). I have loaned my copy to many people and highly recommend this book to those who are experiencing any of life's losses.
Diane
Exceptional and just what I needed to read. It's been more of a "reference" but Rupp speaks in a language that touches the heart.
Jinny
A wonderful book of prayers and thoughts as many kinds of life changes and transitions happen. Highly recommended.
Marla
from job losses to death, a ritual to help readers work through letting go and moving on. i've lived this book.
Rita
Also reading for school. Really like her approach to dealing with loss and death.
MichelleMarie
Jan 02, 2010 MichelleMarie marked it as to-read
just bought from eighth day!
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Trinity Library
Trinity Library marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Moà Abebe bayou
Moà Abebe bayou marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Terah
Terah added it
Mar 02, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
  • The Spirituality of the Cross
  • Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer
  • The Essential Writings of Christian Mysticism
  • Armchair Mystic: Easing Into Contemplative Prayer
  • The Soul After Death: Contemporary After-Death Experiences in the Light of the Orthodox Teaching on the Afterlife
  • Meditations: On the Monk Who Dwells in Daily Life
  • Miracle Detective
  • The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know But No One Ever Taught You
Joyce Rupp is well known for her work as a writer, a spiritual "midwife," and retreat and conference speaker. She has led retreats throughout North America, as well as in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Joyce has a B.A. in English, a M.R.E. in Religious Education, and a M.A. in Transpersonal Psychology. She is a member of the Servites (Servants of Mary) community and was a volunt ...more
More about Joyce Rupp...
Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self May I Have This Dance The Circle of Life: The Heart's Journey Through the Seasons