Start by marking “Praying Our Goodbyes” as Want to Read:
Praying Our Goodbyes

Praying Our Goodbyes

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Everyone has unique goodbyes--times of losing someone or something that has given life meaning and value. With the touch of a poet, Joyce Rupp offers her wisdom on "these experiences of leaving behind and moving on, the stories of union and separation that are written in all our hearts." Praying Our Goodbyes, Rupp says, is about the spirituality of change. It is a book for ...more
Published February 1st 1988 by Ave Maria Press

To ask other readers questions about Praying Our Goodbyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying Our Goodbyes

Lynda
Jul 02, 2011 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P. 92 "This book is about goodbyes and how they happen in our lives and about what happens to us because of them. It is also about hellos."
I highly recommend this book. It is a very good book on transitions, whether it is a death of a loved one or a child going to college. It applies to all the transitions we may experience. There has to be a goodbye before we are ready to 'hello' to a new beginning.
Mary Pat Lichtman
May 20, 2013 Mary Pat Lichtman rated it liked it
Prayer helps train the mind and heart to meet life's challenges and understand our inner responses. Since my husband was diagnosed with a very aggressive stage IV cancer in September, 2012, this has helped me reflect on the important things in life and learn more about how to let go when there is no other choice.
Julie
Jan 11, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should have a copy of this at home. I've given it as a gift numerous times. Joyce Rupp helps define the internal journey we experience during times of grief in the firt half of the book. Her style is unique and gives fresh insights. Grief is not only experienced in death, but in so many dimensions of life - the letting go of any relationship involves grieving something lost. The second portion of the book offers suggestions for personal prayer experiences for a broad variety of experien ...more
Patti Clement
This is an excellent book that I have used personally and have recommended to others when grieving. Recognizing that grief is not just about losing a loved one, the author does an excellent job engaging the reader in how to let go of anything we are called to surrender. Highly recommend to anyone because we all grieve at one time or another and sometimes don't realize our need to grieve.
Drshar
Dec 30, 2012 Drshar rated it really liked it
Does it get easier as you grow older? One would think conditioning to loss overtime would ease the pain, as Woody Allen said, "the heart is a resilient muscle" and we would just move on. Rupp shows the path of prayer - a covering mist to protect your vision each time to back and to slow your steps as you move forward.
Joyce
Aug 19, 2014 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
This book is beautifully written. Sister Joyce speaks straight to your heart. She knows loss and the "spirituality of change". And yes, hellos after goodbyes. You can feel Sister Joyce's words. This book will remain with me and I know I'll be back to it often.
Brian White
Apr 28, 2013 Brian White rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite books and I have turned to it time and time again during times of loss and transition (like now). I have loaned my copy to many people and highly recommend this book to those who are experiencing any of life's losses.
Tammy Schott
It is possible to be healed from life's farewells. It is more about dealing with different losses not necessarily death of a loved one, but other situations were it is necessary to pray your goodbye, not just say goodbye.
Rheena
Feb 27, 2016 Rheena rated it it was amazing
We all go through 'goodbyes'. This is book is a helpful tool in going through such a transition.
Diane
Jul 10, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
Exceptional and just what I needed to read. It's been more of a "reference" but Rupp speaks in a language that touches the heart.
Jinny
Aug 14, 2010 Jinny rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book of prayers and thoughts as many kinds of life changes and transitions happen. Highly recommended.
Marla
Dec 12, 2007 Marla rated it it was amazing
from job losses to death, a ritual to help readers work through letting go and moving on. i've lived this book.
Rita
Dec 05, 2012 Rita rated it really liked it
Also reading for school. Really like her approach to dealing with loss and death.
MichelleMarie
Jan 02, 2010 MichelleMarie marked it as to-read
just bought from eighth day!
Linda Halvorsen
Apr 22, 2013 Linda Halvorsen rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Marie Irving
Marie Irving rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Anonimo
Anonimo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Julie Sanders
Julie Sanders rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Monarch Consulting
Monarch Consulting rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Jonathan Turnick
Jonathan Turnick marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Beryl Peill
Beryl Peill marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Dana Ostby
Dana Ostby marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Laura Bova
Laura Bova rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Margaret E. Palmasani
Margaret E. Palmasani marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Katherine Angle
Katherine Angle rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
  • The Spirituality of the Cross
  • Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer
  • Daughter of Fire: A Diary of a Spiritual Training with a Sufi Master
  • Where Are You Going?: A Guide to the Spiritual Journey
Joyce Rupp is well known for her work as a writer, a spiritual "midwife," and retreat and conference speaker. She has led retreats throughout North America, as well as in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Joyce has a B.A. in English, a M.R.E. in Religious Education, and a M.A. in Transpersonal Psychology. She is a member of the Servites (Servants of Mary) community and was a volunt ...more
More about Joyce Rupp...