Start by marking “Praying Our Goodbyes” as Want to Read:
Praying Our Goodbyes

Praying Our Goodbyes

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Letting go of what we cherish is one of the hardest things we ever have to do. And that includes letting go of jobs, homes, relationships, good health, illusions, self-importance, and even loved ones. But unless we learn to say goodbye as well as hello, we are crippled by our suffering.
This tender and realistic book can be your personal guide to accepting our inevitable go
Published February 1st 1988 by Ave Maria Press (first published December 31st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Praying Our Goodbyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying Our Goodbyes

P. 92 "This book is about goodbyes and how they happen in our lives and about what happens to us because of them. It is also about hellos."
I highly recommend this book. It is a very good book on transitions, whether it is a death of a loved one or a child going to college. It applies to all the transitions we may experience. There has to be a goodbye before we are ready to 'hello' to a new beginning.
Mary Pat Lichtman
Prayer helps train the mind and heart to meet life's challenges and understand our inner responses. Since my husband was diagnosed with a very aggressive stage IV cancer in September, 2012, this has helped me reflect on the important things in life and learn more about how to let go when there is no other choice.
Everyone should have a copy of this at home. I've given it as a gift numerous times. Joyce Rupp helps define the internal journey we experience during times of grief in the firt half of the book. Her style is unique and gives fresh insights. Grief is not only experienced in death, but in so many dimensions of life - the letting go of any relationship involves grieving something lost. The second portion of the book offers suggestions for personal prayer experiences for a broad variety of experien ...more
Patti Clement
This is an excellent book that I have used personally and have recommended to others when grieving. Recognizing that grief is not just about losing a loved one, the author does an excellent job engaging the reader in how to let go of anything we are called to surrender. Highly recommend to anyone because we all grieve at one time or another and sometimes don't realize our need to grieve.
Does it get easier as you grow older? One would think conditioning to loss overtime would ease the pain, as Woody Allen said, "the heart is a resilient muscle" and we would just move on. Rupp shows the path of prayer - a covering mist to protect your vision each time to back and to slow your steps as you move forward.
This book is beautifully written. Sister Joyce speaks straight to your heart. She knows loss and the "spirituality of change". And yes, hellos after goodbyes. You can feel Sister Joyce's words. This book will remain with me and I know I'll be back to it often.
Brian White
This is one of my all-time favorite books and I have turned to it time and time again during times of loss and transition (like now). I have loaned my copy to many people and highly recommend this book to those who are experiencing any of life's losses.
Exceptional and just what I needed to read. It's been more of a "reference" but Rupp speaks in a language that touches the heart.
A wonderful book of prayers and thoughts as many kinds of life changes and transitions happen. Highly recommended.
from job losses to death, a ritual to help readers work through letting go and moving on. i've lived this book.
Also reading for school. Really like her approach to dealing with loss and death.
Jan 02, 2010 MichelleMarie marked it as to-read
just bought from eighth day!
Janey Ponce
Janey Ponce is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Marlane marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Stacie Phillips
Stacie Phillips marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Marie Pickard
Marie Pickard marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Brandi marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Trinity Library
Trinity Library marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
  • Soul Making: The Desert Way of Spirituality
  • Shaped by the Word: The Power of Scripture in Spiritual Formation
  • Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening
  • Catholic Study Bible-Nab
Joyce Rupp is well known for her work as a writer, a spiritual "midwife," and retreat and conference speaker. She has led retreats throughout North America, as well as in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Joyce has a B.A. in English, a M.R.E. in Religious Education, and a M.A. in Transpersonal Psychology. She is a member of the Servites (Servants of Mary) community and was a volunt ...more
More about Joyce Rupp...
Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self May I Have This Dance Out of the Ordinary: Prayers, Poems and Reflections for Every Season