Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  3,447,359 ratings  ·  50,884 reviews
Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility.

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley—a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's ro
Published September 1st 1998 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, please sign up.

Olivia YESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the…moreYESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the movies so the books are much more interesting. You should definitely read the books.(less)
Alyssandra In the United States, the term philosopher commonly refers to a scholar of philosophy, rather than an alchemist or magician.

Rowling and her American…more

Rowling and her American editors decided to change the name to Sorcerer because it had a deeper magical presence and would not misinform U.S. audiences of Flamel's occupation.

You can read a bit more about the change here:

Sasha Alsberg
Why the heck did I not read Harry Potter before now...its flipping magical (literally)!
Aug 20, 2015 Lora rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is still waiting to read it
Recommended to Lora by: Tina, Morgan, my own curiosity
I'm going to keep this brief since there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. *clears throat*
I think the reason I waited so long to read this series is because I just couldn't imagine myself enjoying reading about an eleven-year-old boy and his adventures at a school of wizardry. I thought it would be too juvenile for my taste. I was wrong, of course.
I can honestly say that I loved every minute of this. It's a spectacular little romp with funny, courageous, and endearing characters t
★ Jess
Originally my review was a comparison of Harry Potter and Twilight. However, this is so stupid as the two are incomparable. Twilight does not even come close. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction: "It ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport."
There was a day when I thought I needed to defend Harry Potter, in the midst of the now dead Twilight craze, and you can see that just below:

A note in regard to the on-going Potter vs Twilight de
Cheryl Schenick
Sep 04, 2015 Cheryl Schenick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, fans of Alex Rider, Jason Steed, Hunger Games
Crazy one this. How can over 40,000 goodread members give this one or two stars?

It’s a children's book, and may I say the most loved children's book written in the last 50 years.

J.K Rowling turned the world of children into avid readers, once they have read the Harry Potter books they moved onto other books, the same can be said with the Twilight novels, the Jason Steed Novels, and the Hunger Games Novels. They may not be written by the worlds greatest ‘Literaturists’ (Ok I agree that Literaturi
This is a disgrace to all pure bloods. My head looked quite dashing on that strange professor's head.. If only I could have extended my stay. Harry Potter.. This is not over yet.
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Rereading for the 3rd time for the group read.

Once upon a time, there was a 10th grader named Khanh who didn't get along with people very well. She wasn't an outcast in school, and all the bullying and teasing stopped with the commencement of high school, but she had always been a bookworm and has generally preferred the company of her own thoughts.

Lunchtime had always been dedicated not to eating, but to sitting in the library, browsing through books.

(Not to worry, she got her nutrition in 5th
Harold Bloom
May 29, 2007 Harold Bloom rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, the carrion-eaters of scholarship
Shelves: therabblement
Can 35 Million Book Buyers Be Wrong? Yes.

Taking arms against Harry Potter, at this moment, is to emulate Hamlet taking arms against a sea of troubles. By opposing the sea, you won't end it. The Harry Potter epiphenomenon will go on, doubtless for some time, as J. R. R. Tolkien did, and then wane.

The official newspaper of our dominant counter-culture, The New York Times, has been startled by the Potter books into establishing a new policy for its not very literate book review. Rather than crowd o
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 06, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Purplycookie, Jzhun and Ruby
Shelves: 501, childrens
How can more than half of my Goodreads friends be wrong with this?

I have to get this right. As of this writing, I have 98 Goodreads friends. 61 (62%) of them have read J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Out of those who read this, 39 (64%) rated this with 5 stars. 11 of them with 4 stars. All the others gave 3 or 2. Only 2 rated this with 1 star. One of them admitted not being able to finish it. She should not have rated it really since she did not read its entirety. (But she

(view spoiler)
On my list of reasons why my daughters are the bestest thing to ever happen to me, Number 14,577 is that they gave me, at 41 years old, the perfect excuse to revisit the Harry Potter series.

When my oldest angel told me she wanted to start reading the Harry Potter books, I couldn’t have been happier. As I was collecting all seven volumes off the shelf to bring up to her room, I started feeling nostalgic for the whole Hogwarts gang, and I realized that I’d never done more than a perfunctory revie
Oct 23, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-is-fun
Yes, I've been living under a rock.
Raeleen Lemay
Dec 04, 2014 Raeleen Lemay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites, own
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas To You

OH LORDY. Every time I read this book it brings back so many memories, and also gets me excited to read the rest of the series again as well because there is so much foreshadowing!!

For example:
-Sirius Black is casually mentioned in the first chapter
-Mrs. Figg is talked about a bit, as she looks after Harry from time to time (or all the time, ayyyy?)
-it always cracks me up when Hagrid says you'd have to be mad to try and rob Gringotts... Damn c
Wil Wheaton
As wonderful and magical as promised. Because I didn't remember the movie, the third act of the book was a delightful surprise to me.

I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid, because the idea that someone could be special without knowing it, and then get to visit a special world where the things that made him different were the same things that made him awesome would have been really inspiring to me.

Anne's finishing this, too, and I have to wait for her before I start in on the second book ...
Zoë (readbyzoe)
I will never ever rate this lower than 5 stars. BEAUTIFUL.
Books Ring Mah Bell
I read this long long ago to see how "evil" it was. You know, does it encourage children to become witches and wizards? Does reading Harry Potter cause evil?

After chopping off the heads of chickens, bats, a stray cat, and mixing it up in a cauldron pot, I dipped in my voo-doo doll and put a curse on my neighbor. (nothing too bad, just a case of incurable body lice) I then decided there is absoultely nothing wrong with Harry Potter!

*disclaimer for those who don't get my sarcasm: I never cut heads
Wendy Darling
Current project: re-reading HP.

My history: I was a young adult when this first book came out, and the print book never really grabbed me when I gave it a try. I found that I very much enjoyed the American audiobooks with Jim Dale narrating, however, so I read the first few books this way. But this came to an end when I misplaced the fourth book and no longer had a long commute--I never did reach the end of that wretchedly long quidditch game, so I gave up.

But here it is, 2015 and I'm trying ag
This doesn't really need a review, does it?

This series is brilliant and it will live on forever in our hearts and minds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
EDIT NOTE in 2012: Since this apparently isn't obvious, I wrote the review years ago. I do not necessarily have those opinions now. I wouldn't know; I haven't read Harry Potter since. With a degree and five more birthdays behind me I do not necessarily agree with everything I said when I was seventeen years old. I'm happy to chat about the definition of literature with you, or what I think about the Harry Potter phenomenon now or whatever, but try and be civil and don't attack me right out of th ...more
Kat Stark

I love the personal stories that go along with this wonderful series, so here’s my hand at it. Bare with me.

When I was a kid, I actually didn't really like reading. I struggled with it and it didn't seem all that pleasing. I was an explorer after all. I collected acorns for the squirrels, stalked the ducks in our pond, pulled together forts with a bunch of branches, and created mudpies and dirtstews. So many good times to be had without wasting time on books! I was no Matilda:

Then, I met Mr. Su
Mohammed Arabey
It's Always Great, Coming back Home...

There is a reason us, the Fans, feel like we're connected, no matter where we from, different culture, ethics...ages..we're all like graduated from there..

..Hogwarts..we're even been like in the same class..We're classmates, no matter which edition we read..

..Cause Harry Potter is not just a's a Life..

One of the most important novels in the modern history, Sorry, it's The Most Important ONE.
This Review also for those who hate the series !
نفس المقال
Ademilson Moraes
Much has already been said about this book, so I don't know exactly how I could review it without being redundant. I just want to mention that, as most kids born in the early 90s, this book is what gave me the "spark".

I already knew how to read when I was six, but, as usual, every time I would go to the school's library I would pick 1-30 pages children's books, full of pictures, because I would be afraid of the "grown up" books (what I used to call the books with more than 50 pages that didn't h
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is one of the most celebrated books of all time for one simple reason...because it deserves to be!

I'll write a full review when I have time, but for now here's...

- Rowling's prose is absolutely magical
- Story is not only exciting but often sweet as well
- Lead characters are all captivating
- Comic relief (mostly from Ron) is blended perfectly with the more dramatic events
- Never a dull moment

- Rowlin
I'm not going to comment on the literary shortcomings of this book, the cliches, the painfully long narrative, the fact that the characters will not think about an issue for months, but then suddenly it becomes important again. Smarter people than me have already said all this.

What bothers me about the Harry Potter universe is its characterization of magic. Why is magic so easy in the Harry Potter universe? It's only moderately a matter of skill to use magic. Magic is mostly saying the correct w
Mohammed Arabey
The Translation of the 2011 Hardcover edition is amazing and faithful

Merged review:

سُئلت مؤخرا علي الجودريدز عن
أكثر الكتب تأثيراً في تكوين شخصيتك
وكانت أجاباتي كما كانت دائما ,أجبت بـ"تصويت" غير متوقع

الاجابة عن السبب سأعلنها غالبا في المقالات السبع عن السلسلة غالبا بعد قراءة اخري قريبا لهذا العالم الساحر والذي بدأت دخوله علي استحياء بمشاهده الفيلم في فبراير 2002
ولكن الامر صار دخولا حقيقيا بحادث ما نتج عنه قرائتي طوال ليله صيف للكتاب الاول لهاري بوتر من منتصف الليل وحتي مطلع الفجر تقريباواستكملته
I wish this book had come out when I was young, I wish that someone had convinced me to read them when they first came out, and I wish I had read this series before I watched the movies...I wish..I wish..I wish...

I wish I wasn't a Muggle.

photo 3b294801-b8c6-44cc-8a99-38fde1ebba12_zpsfc159743.png

The day started off the same as any other day for Vernon Dursley- he picked out his clothes for work, got dressed, listened to his wife- Petunia- as she struggled with their son -Dudley- during one of his tantrums, grabbed his briefcase, kissed them both good-by
⇠ ⇢* Sophie
Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Series: Harry Potter (book #1)
Author: J.K Rowling

What to expect:

To be honest, I found it difficult to describe the magic of this book and the whole series, so I will only say that I highly recommend them.

It is so sad to say that this was my first time reading this series, so please do not criticize me! lol; the reason is not that the books looked boring to me, not at all! I really like the covers but the only excuse
I swear every time I read this book I fall even more in love with it!
I'm reading this entire series from start to
finish, back to back. I've only read the first two, and many years ago, so long that I've forgotten them completely.

Here goes. (This is like going to college.)
  • The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1)
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, Or, There and Back Again
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #2)
  • The Change (Animorphs, #13)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Tunnels of Blood (Cirque Du Freak, #3)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)
  • Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #4)
  • Return to Del (Deltora Quest, #8)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)