Start by marking “I Escaped from Auschwitz” as Want to Read:
I Escaped from Auschwitz

I Escaped from Auschwitz

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,576 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
The author describes his experiences as a prisoner in Auschwitz and his daring escape.
Published January 1st 2002 by Barricade Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about I Escaped from Auschwitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Escaped from Auschwitz

Molly
Apr 17, 2012 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting and tantalizing read. As i went to Poland to visit Auschwitz half way through reading this book it painted me am impeccable image of what the living conditions and the over all life of a prisoner was like in a concentration camp. And gave another side of the catastrophe as he escaped. I could hardly put this book down and i think it is even more special that it was written by a man who had experienced first hand what the dreaded Auschwitz was really like.
Tom
Mar 15, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books on the holocaust. If I had to recommend one, it would be this one for several reasons.

1) It is very well written. Not every holocaust survivor is an author, so some books are not very well written. This one is.
2) Vrba has been in Auschwitz for close to two years and has performed very different roles and tasks. He has lived in the main camp, and in Birkenau. He has been part of different commandos. So we get a very good view on many different parts of the camp.
3) Vrba has
Hayley Grace
Feb 05, 2012 Hayley Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Frank wowed the world with her personal diary published after her extermination in a Nazi death camp. But move over, Annie... Rudolph Vrba presents a stunningly detailed and sadly little-known personal story of his own.

Vrba describes details of Aushwitz, the infamous Human Chimney used by the NSDAP in World War Two, that are perhaps little known to casual history enthusiasts. Romance can blossom in spite of calculated separation of men and women. The human body can handle extreme starvation
Betsey Brannen
Dec 31, 2014 Betsey Brannen rated it it was amazing
Hmm. This is a difficult review to write. I gave this book 5 stars prior to reading anything else you can find out about Rudolf Vrba on the internet.

Then after being awoken by my pneumonia infected husband at 5 a.m., I laid in bed thinking about what I had read and the account established within this memoir. I consider myself a bit of a Holocaust junkie, and this was different in that Vrba does not shy away from any of the atrocities committed at Auschwitz, Birkenau, or a host of other camps he
Julianne Leary
Oct 23, 2010 Julianne Leary rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story, both for it's pure memoir qualities in telling the author's history, but also in the historical impact his escape could have had and eventually did have.

The author's main goal, once away from the infamous death camp, was to make sure the world was made aware of what was happening in Poland, to ensure that the over 1 million potential victims in Hungary did not suffer the fate of the millions of innocents who had already perished. He and the friend he escaped with provi
Leen
Jul 24, 2015 Leen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Het vreselijkste boek dat ik ooit heb gelezen, deze getuigenis van één van de weinige gevangen die wisten te otnsnappen uit het zwaarbewaakte en grootste vernietigingskamp van de nazi's. Ik werd letterlijk ziek van Vrba's verhaal: ik sliep slecht, ik had woelige dromen, en ik moest tijdens het lezen bijna de hele tijd huilen. Ik wist dat Auschwitz verschrikkelijk was; ik ben er geweest en ik heb er genoeg over gelezen, getuigenissen en feiten, films gezien en foto's, dus ik dacht dat ik wel wist ...more
Em
Grossly captivating
Honza Hajduch
Jan 06, 2014 Honza Hajduch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Knihu jsem přečetl (v češtině) během pár dnů jedním dechem a musím konstatovat, že to nebylo lehké vánoční čtení. Nemyslím tím, že by tenhle příběh byl napsán nějak těžkotonážně, nějakým literárním mistrem, to ne. Jde především o příběh samotný, to, co se v něm odehrává, předčilo veškeré moje představy o pekle s názvem Auschwitz-Birkenau. A to mám za sebou knihy jako Jiskra života, něco od Leviho a take známou děsivou věc Lékaři hanby. Vrba byl zkrátka v Osvětimi příliš dlouho a má mnoho co říct ...more
Quanti
Feb 10, 2016 Quanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pro tohle téma mám slabost a tohle je velmi silná výpověď. Slušné tři a půl, pro téma zaokrouhluji nahoru.
Rob
Dec 03, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a remarkable story that needs to be heard whenever the world seems to be going crazy. Rudy was the first man who escaped from Auschwitz and lived to tell the tale. Unfortunately many people didn't want to believe him, but his eye-witness accounts of "The Canada stores" brought America into the second world war. After the war he became a Neuroscientist and taught at the University of British Columbia. I met Rudy in the coffee shop of Regent College bookstore in 1996 just as I was starting ...more
Paul
Dec 01, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
Excellent first hand account. I was looking for a more historical text but came across thus book in the library. I'm really glad I did. It was well written and let me see an accurate portrayal of what life was like in a concentration camp. Compelling storytelling. Really very good. Throughout recommend this!
Edwina Hall Callan
Riveting and heartbreaking.
Bosorka
Jul 19, 2015 Bosorka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Nelze nedat nic jiného než plný počet, i když je kniha vlastně jen vyprávěním bez nějakých výrazných literárních kudrlinek. Ale ten příběh je natolik silný, že přiková a čte se zatajeným dechem. A i když známe pointu, nevadí to ani trochu. Protože to, co Vrba popisuje, ty neskutečné hrůzy, které se v Osvětimi děly a které jsou vlastně nepřenosné, je základním kamenem knihy. Vlastně je i neskutečné, jak se jemu samotnému podařilo přežít, byl podnikavý se silnou touhou přežít, ale přesto potřebova ...more
Gemma Riley
Jan 24, 2013 Gemma Riley rated it really liked it
Once again here is an example of a book that was not well written but a horrifying story that sucks you in and allows you to experience things most people could never imagine. I feel it's a must read for anyone.
Ravenswan
Oct 28, 2015 Ravenswan rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating topic and very well written. Apart from The Diary of Anne Frank, I haven't read any other non-fiction material on the holocaust, although I have seen a fair few documentaries as my husband is a war history buff.
It seems horrible to say this about a book that describes the atrocities it does but it was a page turner, I can't deny I was hooked from the start to the finish.
Apparently there is an earlier edition of this book which has the name of a second author, a reporter who
Ella
Mar 02, 2015 Ella rated it liked it
Rudolf Vrba is een 17-jarige Slowaakse jood die via verschillende concentratiekampen in 1942 in Auschwitz terechtkomt.
Zijn enige gedachte blijft overleven en ontsnappen. Ontsnappen vooral om aan de mensheid te kunnen vertellen wat er gebeurt in de kampen. Het sprookje van resettlement waarin de meeste joden geloven moet doorgeprikt worden zodat de mensen in opstand zullen komen. In augustus '44 weet hij werkelijk te ontvluchten maar de deportatie van de joden uit Hongarije gaat in eerste constan
A.A. Abbott
Nov 05, 2014 A.A. Abbott rated it it was amazing
ALSO PUBLISHED AS "I CANNOT FORGIVE" - MEMORABLE, SCARY AND INSPIRATIONAL

This book has also been published under the title "I Cannot Forgive." Teenager Rudolf Vrba has a bright future ahead of him - but then WW2 begins, and as a Slovak Jew, he finds himself in Auschwitz. Plunged into a desperate world of unimaginable horror, he resolves to survive, escape and tell the world about the Nazis' awful extermination programme. Against all the odds, he succeeds...

A story like this would grip the reade
Dave
Feb 26, 2013 Dave rated it liked it
I bought this book from the bookstore at Auschwitz when we visited on a trip from Krakow. It really helped hammer home the enormous monstrosity that happened there.
Hunter
Mar 29, 2013 Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Hunter by: I stumbled upon it in a family member's bookshelf
An extraordinary account of one man's survival at Auschwitz. The writing is ok, but the stories are among the most powerful and poignant I've ever read on the subject.
Robert
Jun 25, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing
After visiting Auschwitz/Birkenau two weeks ago, this was the right moment to read this book. Unbelievable that this could happen. A must-read for everyone.
Amanda
Sep 03, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Truly one of the best books I have ever read....full of history....and at the end of the book the reader is told what happened to each of the war criminals.
Samantha
Aug 01, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-books
A heart wrenching story of Rudy Vrba, a man who actually went into Auschwitz and managed to escape. I would recommend this book to everyone I know!!
Libraryscat
Dec 26, 2013 Libraryscat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps the most informative Holocaust narrative I have ever read.
Claire
Aug 12, 2010 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every1 should read this - unbelivable
Patrick Ellard
Jul 16, 2012 Patrick Ellard rated it it was amazing
Harrowing but incredible read.
Todd
Apr 14, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
horrifying and enthralling
R. Peter
Nov 19, 2014 R. Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the single greatest memoir -- certainly the most exciting -- of surviving Auschwitz. What distinguishes Vrba's book is that he successfully escaped the camp and gave a report on what was happening there. His report was eventually forwarded to British intelligence and convinced the Allies that the Holocaust was real. Vrba (and his co-escapee Fred Wetzler) are genuine 20th century heroes. I wish this book were read in high schools and colleges. It is that good.
Femke Swanton
Dec 12, 2015 Femke Swanton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, ww2
This book was terrible to read, but somehow beautifully written. It gives a first hand account of surviving WW2 as a Jew. It gave me nightmares for weeks and there were several moments I had to put down the book and try to think of something else. Even still, I think it is very important that stories like these are told and listened to. It must have been hard to write this book and relive those horrible moments again.

The book contains a lot of official information in the back, such as numbers a
Ann
Jan 30, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wat opvalt aan dit boek is de nuchtere, haast afstandelijke stijl waarin het geschreven is. De auteur beschrijft de meest afschuwelijke belevenissen op een kalme, gedetailleerde manier. Hij verliest zich niet in bespiegelingen, vergoelijkt niets, ook niet zichzelf en zelfs het wegvoeren van het meisje waar hij verliefd op is wordt vrij sec beschreven. En juist daarom grijpt dit verhaal je naar de keel.
  • The Dentist of Auschwitz: A Memoir
  • Salvaged Pages: Young Writers' Diaries of the Holocaust
  • Treblinka
  • Edith's Story
  • My Bridges of Hope
  • My Brother's Voice: How a Young Hungarian Boy Survived the Holocaust: A True Story
  • The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope, and Survival in Theresienstadt
  • Witness: Voices from the Holocaust
  • The Mascot: Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father's Nazi Boyhood

“Je zlem poddat se aktivně nebo pasivně zlu jako jeho nástroj, jeho pozorovatel nebo jeho oběť.” 1 likes