Start by marking “The Dark Tide (Adrien Engish Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tide (Adrien Engish Mystery, #5)

The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries #5)

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,941 Ratings  ·  462 Reviews
When a half-century old skeleton tumbles out of the wall in the midst of the renovation of Cloak and Dagger Bookstore renovation, Adrien turns to hot and handsome ex-lover Jake Riordan -- now out-of-the closet and working as a private detective. Jake is only too happy to have reason to stay in close contact with Adrien, but there are more surprises in Adrien's past than ei ...more
Published February 7th 2010 by MLR Press (first published December 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Tide

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Gif-y review with the help of my boyfriend, Chris Martin, beginning in...

3...

2...

1...

Thanks for that intro, Chris, that was spot on. The final edition of the series was a Jake sap-fest... and I, for one, needed that. No, Jake was NOT back in my good graces after book 4 and I needed him to suffer a bit, to put his feelings out in the open and on the line. *I'm evil, I know* I wanted Jake to show some emotion and I got that in this story.

Lots of people were annoyed with Adrien's waffling but I l
Loederkoningin
Did I mention that I'm a sucker for scars? But an open heart surgery scar, like Adrien's, that's A LOT OF SCAR. Especially when it's still fresh, bloody and zipper-y. I just discovered that Skeet Ulrich had open heart surgery when he was 10 years old though.

And it hardly shows anymore, don't you think? So Adrien will be just fine in the end and..

...it's your loss Mel, whuahaha...you stupid fuck.

Spoilery!

Now that Adrien's ex-lover, who shouldn't have been in the picture in the first place, is o
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Review completed January 31, 2013

He smelled like soap and sleep and bare skin. He smelled familiar. Not the déjà-vu familiar of Guy or Mel. Familiar like…the ache in your chest of homesickness, of longing for harbor after weeks of rough seas or craving a fire’s warmth after snow—or wanting back something you should never have given away.

photo tumblr_mb2gkl1yCI1rgfiw2o1_400_zps4d6e6d05.gif

Adrien was sleeping on his sofa when he heard a faint but persistent scratching. Someone tried to break into his bookstore Cloak and Dagger. Even though he is
Vio
When I have collected my thoughts I will attempt to review, that's if I can do it justice. It seriously deserves one even if I have to suffer trying to write it. This has been one of the best series I have ever read. You get the best of both worlds. Fantastic writing, good mystery, killer romance and the wonderful frustrating Adrien English. A sorrowful brilliant character who is adored, loved and worshiped. Gorgeous and truly loved.
Ingela
Written May 31, 2014

4.7 Stars - the last part in an fantastic series and a big thunderous applause - what an AMAZING romantic adventure this was

Book #5

Wow, woot, oh yeah!!!! ~ Directly to the shelf for all time favorite M/M series and high on my list for "most loved book-couple".

***********************************************************

These last days has this lady, Ingela, more or less, being absent from RL and occasionally also completely unreachable. I've not wanted to sacrifice a single fre
Jenni Lea
Sep 06, 2014 Jenni Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Series review

What a ride that was! I have to tell you, I did not expect to love this series as much as I did. I’m not a big mystery fan and I think that was why I put off reading this series (and Josh Lanyon) as long as I did. But let me just say this: I’m so glad I finally gave in and tried it.

Josh Lanyon has an amazing ability to create characters that are so believable; so fleshed out that you feel as if you know them personally. They are so complex and alive. These characters are nowhere ne
Lena♥Ribka

If I have to judge only the mystery part, then I'd say that the last book of the Adrien English Mystery The Dark Tide was the best.

But it was different.
And our two guys, Adrien and Jake, that I have taken into my heart, were different, they have changed comparing to the other books.

We were shown totally new sides of their characters.
One can argue if it was favourably for the both MCs but it was for sure a benefit for the romance between the two.

I experience different inconsistent emotions afte
Lenore
*This review contains spoilers*

I'm not happy, Mr Lanyon. Not happy at all.

I know I was angry at Jake in the previous two installments but you made me angry at Adrien in this one. What was that behaviour about? At some point I seriously thought you were going to use his heart surgery as a plot device to make him have a "change of heart." Seriously.

And what exactly was Mel, the self-centered, heartless (pun not intended) ex, doing appearing in this book? Tsk tsk tsk. I thought you weren't one of
Deeze
Nooooooooooooo its finished

You know a book or series is really good when you read the last page and feel both happy and sad at the same time.

The final book was as well done as the rest Mystery wise. The 50 year old murder and all the suspects kept me intrigued and interested.

Lisa is one of the few female characters I adore, and surprisingly even Natalie did not annoy me. I could be wrong but I even thought there might be a little something about to go on between her and Angus lol.

But the roman
Ami
Aug 19, 2012 Ami rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book when you get so attached to the characters, that your chest aches - constricted with emotion because of what the characters are going through?

That is what happens with me all the way through.

This is the final Adrien English book. While I enjoy reading the mystery, it is the relationship between Adrien and Jake that is sitting on driver's seat. This one is filled with sentiments from the two of them. How they are dealing with what has happened after Jake's big decision
Jordan Price
I gobbled the book down all in one day. I'm sure I'll need to re-read the series from the beginning to appreciate all the arcs. The ending felt very satisfying! Hard to say more without spoilers. But I suppose it doesn't spoil much to say I despised Mel. Loathed him. Would love to suckerpunch him. And there's something fun about being able to hate a character like that.
Susan
Feb 01, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW
February 1, 2016
5 stars

I could listen to this over and over and over again. It's one of the few audiobooks to date that I got totally lost in and enjoyed 100% from start to finish.

I haven't listened to the rest of the series because I wasn't sure how I'd handle my emotions...Jake and Adrian and their issues...all up in my head. Something about audiobooks, when done well, that can make it SO REAL. But this one? Yeah, I could handle this one JUST fine.

Narrator Chris Patton IS Adr
Natasha

Spoilers down der.

Ah, the dramatic conclusion to this series. I think I've said most of what I had to say in the other book reviews.
In this book, I didn't really care as much. I didn't care who killed Skelly, I didn't really care about the people snooping around. Well, saying I didn't care if strong. I didn't care as much as I previously have.

I felt like I liked Jake 10% more for a while, then 5% less.. so technically now I still like him more than previously, but maybe that dislike has transfe
Kaje Harper
Sep 21, 2011 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m
The Adrien English series fully deserves its reputation as the best m/m mystery series around. This installment is my favorite so far, which is saying a lot. The plot is solid, but in this book the emotional connection between Adrien and Jake is front and center. The result is a satisfying narrative that had me fully engaged in every moment, amused, afraid, and emotionally caught up in the story. If you haven't read the others yet (and why not???) go do that first. Then read this one and expect ...more
Lauraadriana
Dec 07, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Can a book emotionally torture you while you are loving every word? Yes it can...Like the first four I loved this fifth book in the Adrien English series. My first thought as I read the last line was..."Please someone tell me he is writing a sixth one".

In this book, two years have gone by since we first met Adrien and Jake. Jake has come out of the closet, filed for divorce and left the police force. He wants Adrien, but Adrien has just had heart surgery and is unsure of what he wants. Mostly he
MishyJo
Adrien with an "e", I love you. Usually at the end of a series I'v already had enough of the MCs. But not here. I want more.
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
This series was one of my first forays into LGBT fiction, a genre I don't think I would have explored had I not bought my Kindle and what a treat I would have missed! Since reading all the Adrian English series I have become a big fan of gay fiction and can honestly say have found some of my favourite ever reads within it, as well as some utter dross but that covers all book types. Most m/m fiction is written by straight women ( like mills & boon romances written by men ) and read by a lot o ...more
Wendy Ciliacus
I really enjoyed this series, eventhough one of the MCs was an asshole for most of the books. I think he tried to make up for his bullshit in this one, and I am very happy that they both got their hea, but it sure as hell took him a very long time !!! I liked Jakes character in this last book, but he sure put Adrien through the ringer in all the other books. Im still not convinced he would have chosen Adrien, if it wouldnt have been a matter of life and death....

Still, this is an awesome series,
Erika
This series, man. Still so good, still so well written. I haven't changed my mind about it, except to think that it was even better than I remembered.

Jake and Adrien will forever be one of my favorite couples, precisely because they went through so much to get to happiness.

I'm glad I reread this! It was definitely worth it.
Gaby
Aug 28, 2015 Gaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe this was the last book! I am sad, frustrated and going through some kind of grieving.. I've always have a huge problem saying good bye to amazing characters, and it's even more difficult when they are part of a series... So, yep.. This makes me sad...

This was the last book of the series.. I liked it a lot, but I must confess that, well, I wanted to shake Adrien. Repeatedly. One time after another. Just... Shake him. I completely understand where he was coming from. I understand t
Jul 28, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

”There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself.”
--Raymond Chandler

Hearts can stutter, skip, flip-flop, ache, long, love, and break. They say a broken heart heals with time. But can we truly open up again after being hurt? Or do we just carry on, move through life, play it safe, and settle? Can we love again after heartbreak? Maybe….If it wasn’t for that big, damn obstacle and side effect lurking in the corner of every shattered heart—FEAR.

The Dark Tide, the final book *sobs* in th
Mel
Oct 05, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, e-book, favorites
The Dark Tide is the final book in the Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon and I'm so sad it's over. But I also have to say: I'm glad Lanyon stopped the story where he did. Eventhough I'd like to see much more of Adrien and the people in his life, it's better to leave us wanting more.

This book had the same ingredients as Lanyon's other stories: good, engaging, witty writing with humor and heart. It wasn't my favorite in the series though, but the rating (4,5 stars) is more based on the serie
Mandi Schreiner
Dec 27, 2009 Mandi Schreiner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fifth and final book of the Adrien English Mystery Series *SOB*. It is always hard when a series ends for me, especially one so beloved as this one. It was exciting to read the final book to see where Adrien and Jake end up, and to reflect on their journey in the series and Josh Lanyon gave them a goodbye that they much deserved.

I picked up Fatal Shadows, the first book in this series, on a whim one day. It is only 150 pages and I read it all in one sitting. I still remember reading it and t
Sofia
Dec 22, 2013 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Overall rating for whole series 5 stars

Spoiler alert

So this was the last book, bringing to some sort of conclusion to the one relationship between Adrien and Jake and 5 mysteries.

When a relationship is broken and people are hurt, you cannot automatically put them back together (like we would want to). The hurt has to be acknowledged and some sort of reparation has to be. This is what happened in this book, with Adrien unsure, afraid to choose the way forward. I admired the fact that Jake accepte
Anna  (Bananas!)
Jul 30, 2015 Anna (Bananas!) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, thriller-mystery
This one struck a chord with me. The overall theme of accepting yourself, of NOT living in the closet, and the gentle way in which that theme was handled, was very touching.

Part of the reason I related is that my brother is in the midst of trying to talk our mother into truly accepting him. And also for me personally coming out as bi was very important and meaningful. You should always be proud and unafraid of who you are. The people who matter will love you.

So, as usual, the mystery was the le
Shelley
I can't believe this, but I actually feel rather let down by this finale. I got everything I wanted ... I guess. But to be honest, I think I preferred all the angst and suspense. I realise now that it was much more entertaining being angry with Jake than it is sympathising with him. This new needy Jake is all kinds of dull.

The mystery was okay, because I sussed it quite early on - Go me! My newly discovered sleuthing skills are starting to pay off (all credit to Adrien English).

I wasn't all that
Bookwatcher
Sooooooooooo... now MAYBE Adrien will be able to be together with the love of his live?

I can't tell... I'll not spoil your fun... you must read to know if FINALLY Adrien and the deep in the closet Jake will have the opportunity to be a couple...

Love this book. The humor was something I was not expecting and I really laugh. Even in the saddest moments, Adrien is always funny.

Great story, again amazing writing, and certainly a 5 stars story!

BTW... Adrien desired by EVERYONE? Niiiiiiiiceeeeeeeee
Therese
*4.5*

A great final book in this series. This one answered all my questions in regards to Jake/Adrien as well as having an interesting cold case mystery.

(view spoiler)
Jenre
Dec 22, 2009 Jenre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, mystery, romance
The Dark Tide picks up a few weeks after the end of The Death of a Pirate King. Adrien is recovering from a combined bullet removal/heart surgery and is pleased to get back to some normalcy, whilst also frustrated at the weakness he still feels. When a fifty year old skeleton is discovered during the renovations to his bookshop, Adrien becomes convinced it is linked to a series of recent attempted break-ins. He calls on Jake, who now runs a PI business to find out who is trying to get into his s ...more
L-D
CAW CAW CAW! BURP! That is the sound of me eating crow. Yes, I KNOW. I have been going on for 4 books now about how much I absolutely hate Jake. Jake's a douchebag. Jake's a fucktard. Jake's a toolbag. BUT ARGH! I admit it! I LOVE JAKE! So why do I sound so angry? I hate being wrong and I would've bet my last dollar on the fact that there was absolutely no way that Josh Lanyon could lure me to the dark side. But fit me for one of those giant black helmets and call me Darth because I. LOVE. JAKE. ...more
  • GhosTV (PsyCop #6)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • The Elegant Corpse
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

The Adrien English Mysteries (5 books)
  • Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1)
  • A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2)
  • The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3)
  • Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)

“Why can't you say it?" I hardened my voice. "Because I'm telling you, you never have. I'd have remembered."
He stared at me with disbelief. [...]
"Love you? Of course I love you. Baby, I fucking worship you.”
262 likes
“I love you," Jake whispered. "Are you strong enough for this?"
I made myself comfortable. Said over my shoulder, "Sure."
"Would you tell me if you weren't?"
I grinned. "Maybe. I can't think of a nicer way to commit suicide."
"That's good. I can't think of a more pleasant way to commit murder.”
71 likes