Start by marking “Dealing with Difficult Parents: And with Parents in Difficult Situations” as Want to Read:
Dealing with Difficult Parents: And with Parents in Difficult Situations

Dealing with Difficult Parents: And with Parents in Difficult Situations

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This book helps teachers, principals, superintendents, and all educators develop a repertoire of tools and skills for comfortable and effective interaction with parents. It shows you how to deal with the parent who is bossy, volatile, argumentative, aggressive, or maybe the worst - apathetic. It provides specific phrases to use with parents to help you avoid using "trigger ...more
Published January 31st 2001 by Eye On Education (first published January 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dealing with Difficult Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dealing with Difficult Parents

Mleander23
This is an every summer reading book! I am a HUGE fan of Todd W. and his simple reminders of how to do it better are exactly what I need to move forward and continue my own growth as an educator. The techniques are easy, but most importantly he stress the importance of working with parents to allow them into our school community. Until next July.....r
Stephanie
This was a pretty basic book about dealing with difficult parents. It was geared more towards parents of students who are getting in trouble for something. Probably great for intermediate or middle school teachers! An updated version would be great because parents today who rely on electronic communication are very different than parents of 2001.
Kristen
Read for continuing ed.

The author gave some practical tips, however, it felt more slanted towards principals dealing with difficult parents. I guess I would keep this around as a resource for the future....my truly difficult parents tend to be few and far between (at least the ones I actually hear from).
Kate
Jun 26, 2011 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
I read this book for a distance learning course, and I really liked it. It's very practical and I got a lot out of it.

One note: I recently read Whitaker's other book and a few of the tips are from there. That's not really a problem per se, just a note.
Rachel Sprague
A good overview on how to deal with parents as a teacher, even though some of this may be outdated (published ~10 years ago); some of the sources definitely are. So helpful for a new teacher, especially someone who is really uncomfortable with confrontation.
Jessie
Practical advice for dealing with parents in difficult situations. Written from the point of view of principals and teachers, I enjoyed the stories. The writing style was also very easy to read, very conversational. Best textbook I've had to read!
Mary
I'm just about finished reading this for a class I'm taking online. It's basic information put in a "nice-to-read" format. Nothing too complex, but it validates alot of the work that I've been doing with difficult parents. Valuable read.
notRahimeanymore
Useful. A lot of it is common-sense but bears repeating. You need the reminder in the moment anyway.
Emily
As a teacher this was pretty helpful. There are a lot of things that were common sense, but some good and new strategies. Most of the ideas worked pretty well for me, but you can't please everyone.
Adam
This book reads really well and has great practical and detailed advice on building relationships with parents of your students. I enjoyed the real life examples and dialogues that are provided.
Jena Gardner
An interesting reminder on being professional when others are not. Some good advice, but at times I felt the author (a principal) was unnecessarily manipulative for little reason.
Evan
blah. blah blah blah. blah blah blabbity blah blarb.
Thats pretty much this book. I'll be glad when the class is done.
Colin Kemmis
Suprisingly great book, now only with dealing with parents, but overall effective communication. Gotta get a raise at work.
Stephanie
Read this for a grad course and thought it was terribly written and not very useful.
Margaret Mccormick
This book is so wonderful I will keep it on my desk always.
Sara
Really fantastic. A must-read for all educators.
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Rashid Abdallah
Rashid Abdallah marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Seri Qadijah
Seri Qadijah marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Dween18
Dween18 marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Michael Scott
Michael Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Anthony Pascoe
Anthony Pascoe marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most What Great Principals Do Differently: 15 Things That Matter Most Shifting the Monkey: The Art of Protecting Good from Liars, Criers, and Other Slackers The Ten-Minute Inservice: 40 Quick Training Sessions That Build Teacher Effectiveness Dealing with Difficult Teachers