Start by marking “Dealing with Difficult Parents: And with Parents in Difficult Situations” as Want to Read:
Dealing with Difficult Parents: And with Parents in Difficult Situations

Dealing with Difficult Parents: And with Parents in Difficult Situations

This book helps teachers, principals, superintendents, and all educators develop a repertoire of tools and skills for comfortable and effective interaction with parents. It shows you how to deal with the parent who is bossy, volatile, argumentative, aggressive, or maybe the worst - apathetic. It provides specific phrases to use with parents to help you avoid using "trigger ...more
Published January 31st 2001 by Eye On Education (first published January 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dealing with Difficult Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dealing with Difficult Parents

Mleander23
Jul 30, 2014 Mleander23 rated it really liked it
This is an every summer reading book! I am a HUGE fan of Todd W. and his simple reminders of how to do it better are exactly what I need to move forward and continue my own growth as an educator. The techniques are easy, but most importantly he stress the importance of working with parents to allow them into our school community. Until next July.....r
Matt
Apr 11, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
Like its companion Dealing with Difficult Teachers, Whitaker and Fiore provide practical and effective ideas for managing a variety of challenging situations in the schoolhouse. You might say to yourself, "That won't work", when reading some of the authors' suggestions. And then you try it, and it does.
Jodi
Aug 06, 2015 Jodi rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I picked up the book and had a hard time putting down. There was so much useful information as a parent and also one who is around other parents in a school setting. Great for principals and teachers to help them deal with such individuals. Awesome. A must read for any teacher.
Michelle
Nov 30, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
I read this book for a continuing education class. I've read better, but there were a few strategies I learned.
Erinn
Jul 31, 2015 Erinn rated it liked it
Not particularly well-written or useful.
Stephanie
Aug 05, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
This was a pretty basic book about dealing with difficult parents. It was geared more towards parents of students who are getting in trouble for something. Probably great for intermediate or middle school teachers! An updated version would be great because parents today who rely on electronic communication are very different than parents of 2001.
Kristen
Apr 15, 2013 Kristen rated it liked it
Read for continuing ed.

The author gave some practical tips, however, it felt more slanted towards principals dealing with difficult parents. I guess I would keep this around as a resource for the future....my truly difficult parents tend to be few and far between (at least the ones I actually hear from).
Kate
Jun 26, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
I read this book for a distance learning course, and I really liked it. It's very practical and I got a lot out of it.

One note: I recently read Whitaker's other book and a few of the tips are from there. That's not really a problem per se, just a note.
Rachel Polacek
Jun 12, 2012 Rachel Polacek rated it it was amazing
A good overview on how to deal with parents as a teacher, even though some of this may be outdated (published ~10 years ago); some of the sources definitely are. So helpful for a new teacher, especially someone who is really uncomfortable with confrontation.
Jessie
Apr 27, 2013 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Practical advice for dealing with parents in difficult situations. Written from the point of view of principals and teachers, I enjoyed the stories. The writing style was also very easy to read, very conversational. Best textbook I've had to read!
M
Jul 09, 2010 M rated it really liked it
I'm just about finished reading this for a class I'm taking online. It's basic information put in a "nice-to-read" format. Nothing too complex, but it validates alot of the work that I've been doing with difficult parents. Valuable read.
notRahimeanymore
Oct 07, 2014 notRahimeanymore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful. A lot of it is common-sense but bears repeating. You need the reminder in the moment anyway.
Emily
Jan 10, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
As a teacher this was pretty helpful. There are a lot of things that were common sense, but some good and new strategies. Most of the ideas worked pretty well for me, but you can't please everyone.
Adam
Jul 09, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
This book reads really well and has great practical and detailed advice on building relationships with parents of your students. I enjoyed the real life examples and dialogues that are provided.
Jena Gardner
Aug 31, 2010 Jena Gardner rated it really liked it
An interesting reminder on being professional when others are not. Some good advice, but at times I felt the author (a principal) was unnecessarily manipulative for little reason.
Evan
Mar 07, 2012 Evan rated it did not like it
blah. blah blah blah. blah blah blabbity blah blarb.
Thats pretty much this book. I'll be glad when the class is done.
Colin Kemmis
Suprisingly great book, now only with dealing with parents, but overall effective communication. Gotta get a raise at work.
Stephanie
Mar 15, 2012 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Read this for a grad course and thought it was terribly written and not very useful.
Margaret Mccormick
Oct 01, 2012 Margaret Mccormick rated it really liked it
This book is so wonderful I will keep it on my desk always.
Sara
Jun 29, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Really fantastic. A must-read for all educators.
Leigh
Leigh added it
Sep 16, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Keri Johnson
Keri Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
klo
klo marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Abbi C
Abbi C rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Teaching for Comprehending and Fluency: Thinking, Talking, and Writing About Reading, K-8
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • Classroom Strategies for Interactive Learning
  • Building Background Knowledge for Academic Achievement: Research on What Works in Schools
  • Subjects Matter
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Cooperative Learning
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students!: Guide to Success for Administrators and Teachers
  • Unmistakable Impact: A Partnership Approach for Dramatically Improving Instruction
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write