Start by marking “Hurricane” as Want to Read:
Hurricane

Hurricane

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
With lashing rain and brutal winds bearing down on them, residents of southwest Florida prepare for evacuation. But Julie Minton cannot leave. Her fourteen-year-old daughter, Randi, left home earlier that morning to go out on a Jet Ski with Thad Brockman, a boy Julie barely knows. Now Randi and Thad are missing— and the hurricane that hours ago was just another routine war ...more
Published May 23rd 2006 by Mira (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane

Cindi
May 25, 2010 Cindi rated it it was ok
I probably should grade "Hurricane" higher as the plot itself was interesting, the research impeccible and the feeling of emminant danger from the hurricane was ever present. Unfortunately, I couldn't stand the cliche writing! Twice I almost put the book down but really wanted to find out who the murderer was so kept at it.

I can see an author writing, '"Oh, Zack!", she cried,' once, maybe twice BUT the chick in this book "cried" every freakin' time she spoke! Her daughter "cried" and her best fr
Diane Fuson
Jun 12, 2014 Diane Fuson rated it really liked it
Karen Harper's Hurricane was an interesting mix of innocence and danger. I enjoyed the relationships and mystery surrounding Julie and Zack. Although I might guess some of the story, there were twists that I didn't expect and thoroughly enjoyed. Imagining losing my children in the same way, kept me on the edge of my seat and in the book until the end! I do love a book that keeps me enthralled with its story.
Kathryn V. Cheek
Nov 06, 2014 Kathryn V. Cheek rated it liked it
I found this book boring for the most part. It mostly is two people running around before a hurricane looking for their missing children but the only time it goes to the children is when they are kidnapped and we don't read anymore about them until the end of the book. I think it needed more action.
Wendy Schlegel
I enjoyed this book a lot. it was an easy read with romance and adventure in a tropical local, with a Navy Seal. Has all the elements that I like for a good read. The end was a surprise and the author kept you guessing until the final chapters.
Dale
Oct 29, 2012 Dale rated it it was ok
I have thoroughly enjoyed Karen Harper's Amish books so this book was a huge disappoint. The story takes place over a couple of days' time during an incoming hurricane in the Keys. The actions were chaotic at times and the dialogue of the characters was overly melodramatic. The growing romance of the main characters seemed forced. His thoughts of admiration for her during the crisis on the Key was also forced. The secondary characters were not clearly defined; I still had characters confused by ...more
Cynde Livingston
Mar 09, 2014 Cynde Livingston rated it it was amazing
Another book by Karen Harper....she is fast becoming a favorite of mine. Really liked this one as I was not able to figure out who done it before the characters in the book so there was no boredom. Looking forward to more from her.
Sandy
Feb 10, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it
Also have never read Karen Harper but a pleasant surprise. Good story, plenty of action, fast paced.
Carol
Sep 29, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, action
This book started out with good action. I noticed some reviewers commented on trivial interaction between characters. The characters were not well defined and hard to track. The action and plot were strong enough, so I didn't really notice. The concluding chapter was surpringly weak given the action throughout the book. Still, the conclusion was unpredictable. The author carried all the suspects to the end.. Usually, I can tell who is guilty after the first few chapters. This book is an easy to ...more
Wendy Chaney
Mar 20, 2015 Wendy Chaney rated it it was ok
Ok not one of my favorites
Karen
May 28, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Being a Karen Harper fan,it's hard rating this book so low.. I really had trouble getting through this book.. I had bought the book because it sounded so good.. It just didn't keep my attention..
Jeanne
Aug 05, 2015 Jeanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This book seemed to take a long, long time to play out. I wanted to finish it to see who did it.
Ivy
Dec 13, 2010 Ivy rated it it was amazing
was not expecting this to be such a great read. the author got you hooked on your first chapter, and she had done a lot of research to keep the book believable and exciting. the characters were wonderfully created to where you could easily identify with them and fall in love with them. and there was no slow parts, you just wanted to keep reading and reading until you finished the book! this one is a must read......you will fall in love with it!
Kaye
Jun 03, 2012 Kaye rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-challenge
two teens missing just days before tropical storm becomes a hurricane. Parents frantically search for teens while trying to keep from being murdered themselves. An edge of your seat thriller in south Florida. Great characters - ex-Navy Seal, ecology fanatics, land hungry developer, curmudgeonly old men, etc.
Laurie D'ghent
Dec 21, 2011 Laurie D'ghent rated it did not like it
I can't stand it when adults think they can make themselves sound like an 8th grader. No 8th grader, not even in 2006, would classify a boy as "phat." Plus, I really don't care whether or not said 8th grader has boobs.
Shasta
Sep 13, 2011 Shasta rated it really liked it
Harper is a great author. This story is about two people whose children go missing at the beginning of a potential hurricane. They have to find them before the hurricane hits. Lots of twists and turns. Love it!
Anita Sego
Jul 11, 2013 Anita Sego rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It could be because I am also watching an old series called "Surface" on Hulu+, dealing with sea creatures but regardless this book is worth the time invested to read.
Karen
Jan 23, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
The first few chapters were hard too read. Way too many characters that it was hard to follow who was who. However overall the book was intriquing and action packed.
Kathi
Oct 14, 2012 Kathi rated it did not like it
The plot idea was good but the writing was just awful. The conversations were boring and totally unbelievable. I was annoyed by the main character from the start.
Rebekkila
Dec 26, 2011 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Constance
Jun 18, 2011 Constance rated it did not like it
Starts out slow and then gets predictable
Melonie
Aug 26, 2013 Melonie rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this one very much. Kept you guessing!!!
Tere
Jun 04, 2008 Tere rated it it was ok
I had a hard time getting into the story.
Kristi
Feb 25, 2010 Kristi rated it it was amazing
So suspenseful, I read it in one sitting!
Pam
Jul 27, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it
Mystery that takes place in Florida. Good read
Nancy
Sep 10, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Thrilling! She's a great writer.
Diane
Angie
Jul 25, 2011 Angie rated it did not like it
Disappointing
Kim Buyck
Kim Buyck rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Tracy
Tracy is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
  • Two Lethal Lies
  • Kiss of Death
  • Haunting Olivia
  • Dark Sky (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #4)
  • Final Justice
  • Dead Right (Stillwater, #3)
  • Dying for You (The Protectors, #30)
  • Where Truth Lies
  • Dead Even (Dead #3; John Mancini #5)
  • The Devil's Pitchfork (Derek Stillwater, #1)
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • Midnight Rain
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • In The Blink Of An Eye
  • Evil Without a Face (Sweet Justice, #1)
  • Now or Never
  • Hurricane Bay
  • Traceless (Less Series, #1)
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...