Start by marking “Death and the Lit Chick (A St. Just Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Death and the Lit Chick (A St. Just Mystery, #2)

Death and the Lit Chick (A St. Just Mystery #2)

3.47  ·  Rating Details ·  1,112 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
Wildly successful chick lit mystery writer Kimberlee Kalder is the guest of honor at an exclusive writers' conference at Dalmorton Castle in Scotland. But the fun ends when Kimberlee is found dead at the bottom of the castle's bottle dungeon. Who didn't want to see prima donna Kimberlee brutally extinguished like one of her ill-fated characters? It's up to Detective Chief ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Death and the Lit Chick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death and the Lit Chick

Huh-larious. From the woman who brought us Death and the Cozy Writer comes a new installment of murder among spectacularly absurd people. This time they’re an assortment of mystery writers at a conference at some Scottish castle. Most of them have a motive for killing the star of the conference, a hack arriviste whose books are obviously inferior and yet, inexplicably, sell better. (The cow probably didn’t even write them herself!) To add insult to injury, she is also a blond knockout who’s abou ...more
Pamelabyoung
Oct 24, 2011 Pamelabyoung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful mystery in the style of Agatha Christie, this book includes an enormous cast of characters that, surprisingly, is not confusing. The author includes a long, detailed cast list at the beginning of the book and, at first glance, I thought I would not be able to keep up with them all. However, the author introduces each of them well and begins to weave an intricate web of interconnectedness that is fascinating and really hard to put down. I read this in one long Sunday afternoon and fee ...more
Ellie
I always enjoy G.M. Malliet's writing and I love her contribution to fun fiction detectives, St. Just. Death and the Lit Chick is the second in the St. Just series and it is a pleasurable English manor mystery, when the manor is filled with mystery writers desperate to be published and one young beautiful author who has scored a major hit with a cross-over genre: mystery a la chick lit a la roman a clef. Everybody has reasons to hate Kimberlee so when she is murdered, the problem is too many peo ...more
Rebecca
Aug 06, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance, drama
Inspector St. Just of Cambridge has the dubious honor of presenting a panel at a mystery writers' conference, which includes a stay at the historic Dalmorton Castle in Scotland along with several authors and publicists from the Drawn Dagger (I think that was the name) publishing house. Among them is the gorgeous and poisonous Kimberlee Kalder, who shot to fame and fortune with her chick lit mystery, 'Dying for a Latte.' Everyone at the castle, it seems has some reason to hate Kimberlee, so it's ...more
Monique
Okay so started this novel before an international trip and finished it on the plane and didnt really like the ending, it seemed rushed and contrived to me and the story had so much promise..Okay so this is a mystery along the same vein of one of my favorite mysteries And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie with the smart and thought provoking premise of a group of mystery writers convening in a castle when one particularly annoying author is murderered and because of the eerie secluded sett ...more
Andrea
This is the first narrated audiobook I've tried (I've listened to books before, but using the entertainly unmusical and robotic voice that comes with my phone). It's quite difficult to separate my opinion of the book from the narration - I'm fairly sure the story would have read slightly differently to me if I'd read it instead of listened to it.

However, I can listen to books during my day job! I'm trialling a Scribd subscription, which makes audiobooks not so financially steep a prospect.

This i
judy
Jan 09, 2010 judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
So how many mysteries have you read where a gaggle of authors head to a conference and one of the dies? Yep. In this one, however, the author seems to be having a bit of fun with us by reviving some classic British mystery scenes and adding cell phones and laptops. I knew instantly where the book was going but the writing was bright and amusing enough to keep me on board. The ending was a bit "meh" but it could have been much worse. I shudder to think of, perhaps, a hot summer day where our hero ...more
Alisonpaddock
I enjoyed this second-in-a-series book. It was a new take on the country house murder. The detective was interesting, the other characters rather broadly drawn. For light mystery entertainment, I think I would try G. M. Malliet again. This was a good antidote to Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride. There is even a line in Lit Chick refering to most current British crime fiction as "tres, tres noir" which Cold Granite definitely is.
Megan
Jun 03, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not actually a chick lit book. It starts a male detective trying to solve a murder at a mystery writer's conference. It is pretty good, and has some funny moments based around writing a mystery staring characters who write mysteries. However, the big reveal was based largely around not mentioning certain details to the reader. Sure, that made it harder to guess one of our conspirators, but it's the cheap way to do it.
Sharla
Apr 16, 2015 Sharla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were holes in the plot big enough to drive a bulldozer through but since it's a farce from start to finish I guess it's okay. It was amusing although I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the first one.
Caroline
Jun 03, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
Wonderful! So glad I got this book at Malice! Can't wait to read the one before this and the one after now. Arthur St. Just is a really good character and the send off of the mystery-writing field is hilarious. Really recommend.
Phoebus T
It was alright; though I would have preferred the murder to happen earlier. The prologue was boring and unnecessary- although the epilogue was okay.
Bonnie
May 25, 2014 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun and the denouement was surprising.
Kate Collins
Oct 11, 2010 Kate Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I loved this book. Witty, great characters, intrigue, and entertaining. Exactly what I needed.
Persis Menon
Oct 26, 2015 Persis Menon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing as usual!!! Can't wait to get to the next of the series.
Ruth
Nov 21, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I do so love this series. I like that it is modern, yet feels as old as time. I like the characters who are well drawn and not cliche. Here in Lit Chick I was especially taken with the portrayal of the publishing world and author interactions-- though I certainly hope all the authors I've seen at conferences actually get along as well as they appear to in the halls of conference hotels!

And, for what it's worth, the little bitty moment of the book that is sticking with me is where our detective a
Sally
Nov 08, 2016 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Mysteries, especially British cozies, are one of my favorite types of books. This one has writers at a conference which just begs to have all kinds of egocentric personalities in attendance, and of course, there are. I can't help but wonder if some of the descriptions of the publishing business aren't pretty accurate. Anyway, there is humor and an inspector and a resolved case, as well as a Scottish setting.
Ivonne Rovira
Mar 08, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author G.M. Malliet has the same fun with backstabbing mystery writers in Death of the Lit Chick as she did with the traditional British house mystery in Death of a Cozy Writer. In this second novel to feature Detective Chief Inspector St. Just, the police inspector has been dispatched to lecture a convention of mystery writers gathered on the outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland. Readers can begin with the series with Death of the Lit Chick without having read the first novel. Indeed, this novel mi ...more
Cynthia
Jan 02, 2017 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, a probably higher star rating that would otherwise be the case because I love the setting - a writers' convention. Having attended my fair share of Star Trek conventions, I really enjoy books set in a similar milieu. I also found the characters excellent and hilarious - nothing like a hearty laugh along with your murder mystery. Truly enjoyed this one.
Maureen Hetzel
Nov 19, 2016 Maureen Hetzel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful. A conference of mystery writers is the site for much sharing about the industry and its challenges. Well worth your time and you WILL be entertained by canny descriptions and laugh out loud writing.
Louise Self
Dec 06, 2016 Louise Self rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never have I read a book so badly written that I wanted to throw it in the bin rather than finish it.
Kate
Jan 07, 2017 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
2nd in her series, not as good as the others
Rachel Brain
Oct 08, 2016 Rachel Brain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book and finished it really quickly. The character of St Just developed really well as I thought we didn't know that much about him from the first book "Death of a Cosy Writer". Will be starting the third book " Death at the Alma Mater" next.
Damaskcat
Sep 20, 2016 Damaskcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DCI Arthur St Just has been invited to speak at a crime writers' conference in Edinburgh. He and some of the writers are staying in Dalmorton Castle which has been turned into a hotel. Kimberlee Kalder who has written a chick lit mystery and unexpectedly become a smash hit is the star guest but it is soon clear that many of her fellow guests do not like her, but does anyone hate her enough to murder her?

I enjoyed the satirical portrait of writers at a conference but I did find the mystery flagge
Any Length
Sep 11, 2013 Any Length marked it as discarded  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I recently read "Wicked Autumn" by this author and found it so terrible I didn't give it one start. This week I donwloaded a more audio books from the library and unknowingly picked another one. About 20 minutes into the book I wondered if I had unwittingly picked the same boring author again. The more I listened the more bored I became. I tried very hard to give her another go. But her stuffy, stuck in the 50s style of writing is hideous. It's like all the characters just escaped the 1950s ...more
Jen
Dec 30, 2015 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I waver between two and three stars on this one because parts of it were damned clever but the overall book was very much meh. So I'll round up, not least because the audio narration was fantastic.

I didn't realize this was the second in a series when I picked it up for a long drive, but fortunately I didn't feel out of sorts with the characters at any point in the book. Malliet, as far as I could tell, wrote this to work perfectly well as a stand-alone as well as part of a series.

I think the be
Stacielynn
Jan 06, 2013 Stacielynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I stumbled across the first St. Just title (Death of a Cozy Writer) while sorting books for the annual AAUW Used book sale and found it fun, entertaining. and refreshing -- I immediately downloaded the second in the series (Death and the Lit Chick).

Perhaps I was too optimistic, but this one didn't have the same effect on me. It was a good premise (a self-absorbed, wildly successful chick lit/mystery author is found murdered during a convention), there were a number of potentially intriguing char
Nicholas
Jan 26, 2012 Nicholas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If classic literature and history are the steak dinner of reading, then I guess that makes this a bag of snack chips. It was a nice change of pace from some of the heavier matter I've been reading for the last few months. So in that way it succeeds.

I was intrigued by the synopsis. A mystery satire. What better way to delve into such a thing than having a murder mystery set in an old Scottish castle, in the midst of a mystery writers convention. The satire lead to some humorous gems like:
"Donna D
Norma Huss
Apr 22, 2013 Norma Huss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
New to me author, but certainly not a new author. Her first mystery won the Agatha in 2008. This is the third in the St. Just mysteries, sent in the British Isles. This book takes place in a castle in Scotland, with the victim and all the suspects trapped inside by a non-working bridge over the moat. And, except for Detective Chief Inspector St. Just and the castle/hotel staff, everyone is involved in writing or publishing mystery books. Delicious!

What I particularly like (as a mystery writer m
Katie
Dec 09, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met DCI Arthur St. Just last winter in his first outing, Death of a Cozy Writer. It was good, a solidly constructed mystery, filled with awful people. In short, it was the classic British mystery. I liked it, but I didn't love. St. Just didn't show up till halfway through, and procedure was followed so carefully that it was hard to get a feel for him as a person. His second, Sergent Fear was hysterical, but this was more the fault of his young daughter who had programed his phone to play jingl ...more
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • A Real Basket Case (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #1)
  • Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery, #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • Murder on the Moor (Rex Graves Mystery, #4)
  • Tahoe Heat
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • Well Bred and Dead (A High Society Mystery, #1)
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
  • Shades of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz, #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Eleven Pipers Piping (Father Christmas Mystery #2)
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)
  • Looks to Die For (Lacy Fields, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • Lord of the Wings (Meg Langslow, #19)
  • Southern Fried
G.M. Malliet writes crime novels for Thomas Dunne/Minotaur Books. The first book in her Max Tudor series is the Agatha-nominated WICKED AUTUMN (September 2011), which received starred reviews from Booklist and Library Journal. Library Journal and the Boston Globe also named it a Best Mystery of 2011: "Sly humor rivals Jane Austen’s."

WICKED AUTUMN also was chosen by Shelf Awareness book review edit
More about G.M. Malliet...

A St. Just Mystery (3 books)
  • Death of a Cozy Writer (A St. Just Mystery #1)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)