Start by marking “The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum” as Want to Read:
The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum

The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum

Good manners will make you fabulous. Good manners will make you sexy. The well-mannered get invited to more dinner parties, see their career aspirations blossom, and have a wider array of friends and eligible suitors. So if you want to become your most fabulous self, read on–The Fabulous Girl’s Guide to Decorum is your ticket to becoming the girl you want to be.

Authors Kim
Published December 26th 2001 by Broadway Books (first published April 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum

Jaymi Boswell
Apr 04, 2008 Jaymi Boswell rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all my shiz girls.
Recommended to Jaymi by: Anthropolgie.
Shelves: non-fiction-fun
This book will help a hip chick in any situation. I have to say it's for the younger and more single crowd, but manners are manners!
Amanda
Jul 12, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
Kind of a fun, fluffy read, but it didn't have as much good stuff to add to the discussion of manners as I would have liked. I did find the work-related section at the beginning interesting (though there was little new information to be gleaned) and the dating section was informative (though a bit outdated, it's not nearly as outdated as *I* am ;) ). The biggest reason for 2 stars is that the authors contradicted themselves throughout (i.e. "don't use bad language" followed by an entire section ...more
Els
Feb 17, 2015 Els rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Het staat gecatalogeerd als een non-fictie boek en dat is het in grote lijnen ook wel. Er komt een heel stukje fictie tussen, wat ik persoonlijk het beste deel van het boek vind. Je ziet het al aankomen. Geen groot succes, dus. Ik vond het wel leuk om een de tips die lezen waardoor je dan uiteindelijk een 'fabulous girl' (FG) gaat worden, maar ik ben toch een stiekem gaan kijken naar het jaar dat het boek werd uitgegeven. Ik vreesde even dat het over de Middeleeuwen ging.
Ik zeg niet dat er niet
Amanda Hannaford
Jun 06, 2012 Amanda Hannaford rated it did not like it
I borrowed this book from Lisa Daly (thanks, miss!) and thought that, even if not insightful, it would at least be interesting. I didn't really find it either.

The Good:
It inspired me to want to host more dinner parties and I did learn a few etiquette rules regarding entertaining. YAY! Expect more dinner parties to come, gals!

The Bad:
It was obviously quite tailored to 'high society' and written by people that are snooty about others being married and having children. The marriage section was only
Hyatt
Jul 27, 2016 Hyatt rated it it was amazing
First got the book when I was in high school, and this book has been guiding me through university, work, and love life. To become a true fabulous girl is actually to encounter all situations described in the book: the hot intern, hot boss, bumping into your ex on the street, being a bridesmaid for a bridezilla, have your own apartment, and invite your friends to your home party.... no matter how much you learnt about being fabulous in all these situations, you actually have to experience it ...more
kate
I bought this book after school and in preparation for the apartment downtown, the requisite socializing to network and to expand my circle of friends, and taking on giant social situations that stressed me out and scared me - because I wanted to be doing things all the time that intimidated and challenged me.

the idea of being 'fabulous' is a question you ask of yourself when you ask - what kind of life do I want, what kind of person do I want to be and you assume you can become that person thr
Mary Louise
Apr 13, 2014 Mary Louise rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Perhaps I'm not fabulous enough to be deemed a fabulous girl (FG), but I found myself rolling my eyes multiple times throughout this book. It wasn't that I felt too old for the material (as some have pointed out in their reviews), but rather that I found myself in disagreement with what the authors deemed as good taste and good etiquette.

When it comes to etiquette, stick to the masters of the craft: Emily Post and her family members who have taken the reigns to keep her advice fresh and current
Christa Cordova
May 04, 2010 Christa Cordova rated it did not like it
I found myself in the etiquette section of our local library and thought this looked cute. I was right - it looked cute - but was not well written. The author apparently assumes her readers were raised in barns. It was published in 2001 (while I was in college) and I don't feel like my friends or I would have needed the advice in the book then and we definitely don't need it now. If you're looking for an etiquette manual, check out Emily Post or Kate Spade's books on the topic.
Ria Tumimomor
Jan 11, 2010 Ria Tumimomor rated it it was amazing
A friend recommended this book to me and I have to admit... I love it... THough of course, a few tips from the writers does not suit me, but most of them are so true...

The book teaches you how to act towards your friends and colleagues and other people in proper manner...

Of course, naturally...it all depends to us again... whether we will remember to apply those ethics in the real world :)
Kate
Sep 06, 2009 Kate rated it did not like it
I have to admit to not finishing this book. With that said, this book was incredibly tedious! Three hundred pages trying to cover appropriate behavior in every possible scenario, plus little anecdotes to get the point across. I just couldn't do it! It wasn't cute, it wasn't charming, and it sure was not teaching me anything I hadn't heard or read a million other places. Unimpressed, unimaginative, and would make a better blog than book.
Polina
Jan 18, 2016 Polina rated it liked it
It was an good read, not great! I found that it didn't teach more of more etiquette though. I was expecting it to be a bit deeper on rules than it was and I found myself knowing already 90% of what was written there. Nonetheless, it is still a good book and I would recommend it to others as a summer read.
Jonelle
Jun 25, 2015 Jonelle rated it liked it
Not particularly fabulous. Just ok. Mildly humorous. Some parts did drag, some parts were cute. Did I learn anything new, not really. A lot of this is really common sense I formation, a modern day "Miss Manners". I liked the story within but am now curious as to the outcome of these relationships. By the by, I love the "Fabulous" cover, that's what got me to read the book in the first place.
Joanna
Feb 01, 2010 Joanna rated it liked it
I think they intended this book to be a modern day version of Emily Post. They failed. I probably would have gotten a lot more out of it if I'd read it six or seven years ago when I bought it. But maybe not. Most of what is in it is either common sense or common courtesy. A good book for someone who is completely socially inept.
Kristen
Jun 28, 2013 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a fun silly little book on manners geared towards single women. Most of it is common sense, which is probably why it hasn't received better reviews. The sections about house guests and entertaining had some helpful tips though.
Kris Larson
Aug 02, 2011 Kris Larson rated it really liked it
This is most of the good advice my mom has given me over the years in book form. Be nice to people. Be nicer if they're rude. Send thank you notes. Don't date the jerks; don't be a jerk to the nice guys. Lots of good little affirmations of how I like to think we all try to live.
Leah
May 13, 2008 Leah rated it liked it
Love this how-to guide!! Made me realize I have a ton of fabulous women in my life. Talks about dating, entertaining, jobs, sex, love, decor...all the things that make us so wonderful as women...witty and fun to read :)
Paige Acevedo
Dec 16, 2008 Paige Acevedo rated it really liked it
This book was given to me by my best friend from high school who I always saw as a fabulous girl! I read and re-read this book. It takes what your mama taught you and kicks it up a knotch! I will never show up to a dinner party empty handed again!
Katie
Aug 13, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok
Not what I was looking for, and only about 100 pages of perhaps useful information or interesting narrative in a 300 page work.

Sue
Jun 14, 2013 Sue rated it liked it
An entertaining read! Certainly not Emily Post but some great pearls of wisdom: "The way a person treats the waiters/waitresses tells a lot about their character", "Good manners doesn't comment on the lack of manners by others. Especially if it's unrequested advice".
SA
Jan 18, 2016 SA rated it really liked it
It has good decorum advises but I was mostly impressed by the writing style...it is super funny book. I loved it :)
Maria (Ri)
Jan 15, 2011 Maria (Ri) rated it liked it
Sometimes funny, sometimes a little preachy, but overall a cute way to teach etiquette to a generation who was not raised on it!
Olivia
Apr 04, 2007 Olivia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not exquisitely written, didn't offer phenomenal insights into sticky situations, but was definitely a fun read.
Sanne
Jan 13, 2012 Sanne rated it liked it
Couldn´t read this one in time to get it back, plus I didn´t recognize the book as helpful for my life now (i'm only seventeen and this is written for business women (to be?)). :) I liked it though.
Jennifer M
Dec 26, 2015 Jennifer M rated it it was ok
What I've learned...how to be fabulous? I don't know. It's something I've been reading off and on, but actually want to finish in the next month.
Jillian
May 07, 2008 Jillian rated it liked it
This was cute-it was a little simplistic, and I've read similar books I've liked more but it wasn't bad.
Sheli
May 26, 2008 Sheli rated it did not like it
This would be perfect to give a college graduate...I am a little too beyond all of the advice it had to give...wasn't really into it.
Shannyn
Jan 02, 2016 Shannyn rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I need it in my library. It literally tells you how to handle every thinkable scenario with grace.
Blanca
May 06, 2007 Blanca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girly girls
Shelves: etiquette
Love it. Part chick lit, part etiquette book, it is cheesy, but adorable. Take it with a grain of salt.
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Darci Spaeth
Darci Spaeth rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2015
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
  • Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide To Finding Her Inner French Girl