Start by marking “One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)

One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways #1)

Scattered throughout the galaxy are Gateways capable of transporting matter and energy across unfathomable distances. Left behind by a long-vanished civilization, these mysterious portals offer a means of exploration -- or conquest -- many times faster than warp travel. The technology responsible for the Gateways has been lost for at least ten millennia, but that doesn't m ...more
Published September 30th 2001 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about One Small Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Small Step

Daniel
Mar 03, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the more aggrivating books in the Gateways series, this book takes place immediately following the Star Trek TOS episode "That Which Survives." To summarize the episode, the Enterprise discovers a planet that is the same size as Earth's moon and looks habitable, but is very young, its age is only a few thousand years old. It turns out that the planet is an outpost of a dying civilization called the Kalandans. A young woman, Losira, appears and tries to kill the various Enterprise crew mem ...more
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 Dan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, tos, e-books
A pretty disappointing beginning to the Gateways series. A sparse plot, poor characterizations, and plotlines that go nowhere really turned me off. I really hope the rest of the series is a huge improvement. As far as the series as a whole goes, the separate publication of the ends of each of the stories is a little annoying, and strikes me as a ploy to get more money out of me. I can only hope the stories are worth it, but that really doesn't seem to be the case with One Small Step.

Full review:
John Wilson
The Ultimate "A fool and his money are soon parted" cashgrab from the Pocket Books Star Trek line - a line of poorly connected novels, each one without a last chapter that is to be collected in a later book.

I'm just as culpable having bought two of the damn things.
Erica
Dec 23, 2015 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-other
I want to start this review off by saying that I love the concept of the Gateways series. I think that the idea and the story about the gateways is amazing, and when I heard about it I felt that it was right up my alley. Because of that it didn't take me all that long to decide that I would read all of the Gateways books and not just the Voyager book.

So as some of you might have guessed this is the first book I've read about the crew from the original Star Trek series. I've recently seen it for
David Palazzolo
I started this as a way to get back into my New Frontier reading groove (as that series crosses into the Gateways storyline), but this may have been a mistake. I'm beginning to have the sneaking suspicion that each story in Gateways will ultimately have little to do with each other. As for this book, it was a little on the weak side and hard to follow in parts. I'm also not happy about the way the concluding portion of the book is contained in "book 7" of the series. Not happy at all with this m ...more
Wayland Smith
This is the kickoff of another series that goes through all the various Star Trek novel series. Fittingly, it starts with Kirk and the original Enterprise, following up on the classic "City on the Edge of Forever" episode, and offering an explanation of what the Guardian actually is.

It's a good story, drawing on some original series lore but telling its own tale. Wright has a good feel for the characters, and has their voices down well. The action is good and enjoyable, and well plotted.

It's a g
Daniel O'donovan
Elena. (theresmiling)
I have to admit I am only reading the series, because New Frontier is part of it. Also, I like series, so I decided to read it all.
It seems the endings of all books are not coming until book 7. I don't really like that.

This book was boring most of the time. Many times I read things that aren't important or even necessary for the story. I don't really understand why the Klingons were there. They deserve better that what they got there.
K
Mar 24, 2015 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do I rate a book like this? It read like a TV episode, even the characters felt compatible with their TV counterparts. It was a quick, easy read but there was nothing literarily excellent about the read. It was formulaic but exciting. I enjoyed it, it gave me exactly what I wanted but didn't engage me at all. So it ends up at a three but maybe deserves a four if enjoyment is the only criteria.
Angela
Sep 06, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
This takes place immediately after an episode of the classic series. Kirk, McCoy and Sulu are stuck in an underground science station of alien orgin, because of a virus. They are also keen to find what technology is held there. This is a fun enough adventure, could have been a tv show, but it does end on a cliffhanger. I liked the alien species who were con artist, they were well done. A good read.
Dustin
I read this back in the days when I was reading EVERYTHING Star Trek. I remember this one being ok. It wasn't bad, but it obviously didn't leave much of an impression either. As far as the gateways series go it's pretty good, but not my favorite.
Eilidh Montgomery
Eilidh Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Jasper Gardner
Jasper Gardner rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2012
mary martinez
mary martinez rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Joe McPlumber
Joe McPlumber rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2011
Sven
Sven rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Eva
Eva rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2011
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
May 15, 2012
Meg Dean
Meg Dean rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Mark Temple
Mark Temple rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2012
Chad Bowers
Chad Bowers rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Gayle
Gayle rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Kei
Kei rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2012
Marc-ids Foppen
Marc-ids Foppen rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Ronny
Ronny rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Julieanne
Julieanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • Chainmail (Star Trek: Challenger: Gateways, #2)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Cold Wars (Star Trek New Frontier: Gateways, #6)
  • Cloak (Star Trek: Section 31, #1)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)
  • The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)