Start by marking “Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World” as Want to Read:
Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World

Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  363 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
In this book readers will find 5 keys to peace through real life stories and examples from the Amish. Each section contain questions for reflection and action.
Published September 15th 2009 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Amish Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amish Peace

7jane
Jul 29, 2015 7jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This book discussed various forms of Amish wisdom and faith in their ordinary yet ordered and quite peaceful life. The book is divided into five different parts: Simplicity (keeping things simple), Time (the rhythm of the days, lack of hurry), Community (strong), Forgiveness (expected and practiced) and The Sovereignty Of God (strong faith, practiced faith). Each smaller chapter has a story, reflections and a fact about Amish life.

To me the whole gave me more admiration of the Amish life. Even w
April Gardner
Dec 03, 2009 April Gardner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Under a cozy quilt and by the light of my bedside lamp, I find myself picking up Suzanne W. Fisher’s latest book, Amish Peace. I’ve already completed it once this month, but it’s calling to me again. This time, I’m taking notes.
My interest in one of America’s most fascinating ethnic groups, the Amish, is only one of the draws this book has. Comprised mostly of real-life stories from today’s Amish community (as told to the author) Amish Peace is dedicated to unveiling the secrets of this uniqu
Umm Layth
Feb 07, 2011 Umm Layth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
As a Muslim woman, this book inspired me to look at the ways we can improve our own communities. Although at the moment I live within the city, I think this book serves as a wonderful reminder to get to know our neighbors, visit the sick, take care of each other, invite people over for lunch, dinner, and tea, and raise our children to help others, all with GOD in mind always. I think the Amish are a very peaceful people and these stories serve as good reminders for us to appreciate our friends a ...more
Volkert
Jun 24, 2016 Volkert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this volume as an audiobook, but I wish that I had simply read it. My favorite parts were the Amish proverbs and Fisher's stories that help to illustrate those proverbs in the everyday life of the Amish.

Since I have not seen a physical copy of the book, I can't say for sure, but it appears that it was designed as a book to be studied, perhaps in a group, due to the didactic questions offered at the end of each section. Listening to the audiobook, I found these questions to be annoying
Grace
Jan 17, 2011 Grace rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this book! I think we all need the wisdom that is in this book. We could all learn some things from the Amish community.
Regina
Oct 15, 2015 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since my first visit to Lancaster, Pennsylvania to visit friends, I have wanted to learn about the Amish. Especially, how they manage to live in the world yet not be in the world. The author shows us through very short stories why the Amish live and behave the way they do. Fisher shares with us their views on money, family, etc., Each chapter is followed with several reflections (questions) directed at the reader. The questions are a way of getting the reader to think about their views on money ...more
Adriane Devries
Amish Peace is a lovely and informative look into the simple lifestyle of the Amish, divided into short chapters suitable for daily readings, with thought questions after each segment. I had no idea what a truly fascinating and inspiring group of people these were until I opened these pages. No longer do I see these Plain Folk as strange or backwards in their avoidance of telephones, cars, or electricity; they are, instead, proactively discerning of the maddening changes that technology brings, ...more
Kaylea
Jun 02, 2010 Kaylea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’ll admit, I’ve grown a bit tired of all of the Christian novels which seem fixated on the Amish.

It seems like every “big” author on the Christian circuit has come out with a book focusing on the anguish, betrayal and upheaval within the Amish community – all with a happy ending of course.

Fortunately, Suzanne Woods Fisher’s book is different and stands out among the crowd.

With her family deeply “rooted” in that Amish tradition, Fisher has gathered numerous real-life stories from a variety of so
Cami
Nov 19, 2013 Cami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book consists of 2- to 3-page vignettes followed by reflection questions. I very much enjoyed this glimpse into the lives of the Amish. I drew my own conclusions on the principles and ignored the forced applications of the reflection questions but could see how this could be used as a tool for improving your life by emulating the strengths you see in their way of life. Some of the details became repetitive the farther along I read, but that gave me the impression that the chapters are to be ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I read this book with a high-lighter handy. I loved it. Suzanne Woods Fisher will take you into the homes and lives of the Amish people, and you will learn practical, simple ways of changing your attitudes and your perceptions.

The book follows five themes: Simplicity, Time, Community, Forgiveness, The Sovereignty of God. Each section shares real-life experiences and comments from Amish people. They explain their faith and their belief in family and community. They've chosen to keep themselves ou
Linli
Oct 14, 2015 Linli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this as a sort of devotion book. I've been reading a lot of Amish fiction lately, and I thought this would provide some insight into real amish living. I found all the sections that the author touched upon though-provoking. Simplicity, time, community- there are plenty of books touching on these things as people look for a different way to live our modern lives. The part that set this book apart was the section on Forgiveness. I suspect that's the part I remember and go back to the most.
Gloria
Jun 30, 2014 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-spirit
This author writes a great deal of Amish-themed fiction. This lovely nonfiction book takes readers inside the very private lives of the Amish. Here readers will learn about their culture including ordinary, yet important topics such as elder care, disciplining children, ceremonies, land ownership, working outside the home and more. The poignant inclusion of their position on forgiveness in light of some very public recent tragedies is very moving. There is much people can learn from one another.
Clockstein Lockstein
Amish Peace by Suzanne Woods Fisher is a fascinating look at the source of the title. Fisher, who comes from an Anabaptist tradition called Dunkards, delves deeply into the day-to-day life of the Amish. With their focus on God and family, they have a better understanding of what it means to live the way God intends and the peace that pervades every aspect of their life emphasizes this. Each short chapter gives insight into one aspect of their lives: respect for elders, working as a community, or ...more
Lou Freiberger
Apr 13, 2015 Lou Freiberger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful reading

This is not gripping but rather peaceful and unhurried. The Amish lifestyle, so different from mine, offers excellent insight in letting go and surrendering to the stream of life in God's will. The Amish sayings at the beginning of each chapter were capsules of wisdom. This is an excellent book to re-read when life gets crazy.
Mark Murray
Jun 12, 2015 Mark Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deep-christian
A very enlightening book about the most radical and fundamental sect in Christianity. Showing how their lives revolve around the concepts of peace, forgiveness and Harmony. This will be a book I reread at least once more. They are to me distant kin, My mothers, fathers, mother left the Amish church to marry my great grandfather.
Lola
Jan 27, 2013 Lola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book about the Amish lifestyle--how they live, work, think. So many good things we could all practice for a more peaceful life. Many wise Amish proverbs.
From page 15 of the introduction:
"Become Amish? If you admire our faith, strengthen yours. If you admire of sense of commitment, deepen yours. If you admire our community spirit, build your own. If you admire the simple life, cut back. If you admire deep character and enduring values, live them yourself."
Gelassenheit is a basic foun
Helen
Feb 20, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. I loved it. Yes, several of my books this year have featured religion but this book was wonderfully simple based on knowledge of the Amish people of Pennsylvania and their steadfast beliefs in each other, their religion and community.
Emma
Apr 09, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This book made me very happy. The book truly did make me look at my own life and ask some big questions.

Real Life Amish folk provide empirical illustrations of the ways the Amish bring very different views to the struggles of their lives. A very satisfying book!
Joyce
Aug 03, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mine
Devotional style writing. Nice. Informative and reflective -- why do we think the English (non-Amish) way is better? Not necessarily.

Forgiveness is lived out. Relationship with God is center of life. Church has no building, meets in homes every other week; once a year would indicate 26 families. When a church gets too big they split off. Don't pay taxes, no social security or any form of government dependence. Sounds wonderful!

Not easy, but stress directly from God, not humanity or society,
Ellen Chamberlin
Oct 19, 2015 Ellen Chamberlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this from time to time, I will never get rid of this book. One day I'll figure everything out...or not.
Heather Tomlinson

This is a nice little book that explores Amish culture and encourages us to apply some of their wisdom to our own lives. At the beginning I was wondering why there wasn't more focus on their Christian faith, which informs everything they do, but this was more apparent in the later parts of the book.
It's inspiring to read and definitely helps you to question our own lifestyles as to whether they are the most helpful to us.
Sandi
This was a great read in the mornings to get my busy mind to slow down and savor the day with what would be coming good or bad and to end my days with, by reminding me of how truly we can have peace if we give our all to God. How peace can easily be had by slowing down and taking in the blessings around you and by drawing closer to God daily.
Joan Parker
Mar 20, 2015 Joan Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet short stories that depict the life of the Amish.
Suzanne Young-Turcotte
Loved this book. It was eye-opening.
Kathy
Oct 16, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
Excellent read! I have had some experience with the Amish and it really helped me understand their culture. At the end of each chapter there is a question and answer part that helps you think about how their values can be applied to your own life. I read this a few months ago and whenever I am involved in activity I think about how much time, if any, is taking away from my family time. Usually I do not purchase books, this one was an impulse purchase and I will never, ever regret it. Excellent b ...more
David Orphal
Dec 14, 2014 David Orphal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely collection of short essays, most wrapped up in a story the author heard from Amish families.

Mistyblue
Sep 12, 2012 Mistyblue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a collection of short...almost essays about different aspects of amish life. The author uses these different aspects to shine a light on how our modern, hectic lives could be more fulfilling if we learned something from our slower neighbors. While not advocating we all join an amish community, Mrs. Fisher does a great job of giving us food for thought in trying to destress our own lives. I thoroughly enjoyed the thought provoking ideas in this book.
Carrie
Apr 16, 2014 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I love reading about the Amish. Although there may be a few fundamental differences in our core beliefs, overall there is so much that I learn from them and their quiet ways. Reading Ms. Fisher's book was like a beautiful respite, every time I picked it up.
Caz Perrin
Aug 14, 2016 Caz Perrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Worth the read
Andie
I really enjoyed this book. It was exactly what I was looking for. I've been intrigued by the simplicity of the Amish lifestyle for a while now, and this book was very helpful. It didn't try to convert me, but asked numerous questions about whether modern conveniences were helping me or hindering me. It's made me re-examine my life and see what I am willing to do to simplify my life.
  • The Simple Life
  • Amish Prayers: Heartfelt Expressions of Humility, Gratitude, and Devotion
  • Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the Unhurried Rhythms of Grace
  • Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women
  • An Amish Family Reunion (Miller Family, #4)
  • The Plain Choice: A True Story of Choosing to Live an Amish Life
  • Naomi's Gift (Kauffman Amish Bakery -- Christmas Stories #2)
  • Renewed Mind, The: Becoming the Person God Wants You to Be
  • Daily Reflections on the Names of God: A Devotional
  • The Mind of Christ: The Transforming Power of Thinking His Thoughts
  • The Myth of Certainty: The Reflective Christian the Risk of Commitment
  • O Me of Little Faith: True Confessions of a Spiritual Weakling
  • An Amish Love
  • Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-Job Fantasies About the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior Into a Raging Homosexual
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • Almost Amish: One Woman's Quest for a Slower, Simpler, More Sustainable Life
1922565
Suzanne Woods Fisher is the bestselling, award winning author of fiction and non-fiction books about the Old Order Amish for Revell Books, host of the radio-show-turned-blog Amish Wisdom, a columnist for Christian Post and Cooking & Such magazine.

Her interest in the Amish began with her grandfather, who was raised Plain. A theme in her books (her life!) is that you don’t have to “go Amish” to
More about Suzanne Woods Fisher...

“Swallowing pride rarely gives you indigestion.” 5 likes
“Blessed are those who have nothing to say, and who cannot be persuaded to say it.” 4 likes