Start by marking “Scardown” as Want to Read:
Scardown

Scardown (Jenny Casey #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  585 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The year is 2062, and after years on the run, Jenny Casey is back in the Canadian armed forces. Those who were once her enemies are now her allies, and at fifty, she’s been handpicked for the most important mission of her life–a mission for which her artificially reconstructed body is perfectly suited. With the earth capable of sustaining life for just another century, Jen ...more
Published June 28th 2005 by Spectra (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Scardown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scardown

Tamora Pierce
Jenny Casey has been augmented and upgraded to pilot a starship made with alien technology in this second book in the series. Her emnities, friendships, and affairs from the last books have changed. Her family has expanded to include her lover Gabe, his daughters, and his former (?) lover Elspeth. Jenny's also discovered that her adaptations have allowed her sentient AI, based on Richard Feynman, to expand his skills, his base of operations, his knowledge, and his power, just at a time when Beij ...more
Faith
Scardown picks up right where Hammered lets off, and does a wonderful job of ramping up the action. New characters are drawn into the web, new plot threads gain prominence, new complications threaten our main characters.

The almost-love-triangle is a bit strange, yes. But it's working?

I finally realized that Bear has been writing Jenny's scenes in first person and everyone else's in third. It's an interesting device, and one that could be annoying. But I think it works to give her voice prominenc
Michelle
this may be the worst case of middle-book-itis ever. the twisty loose ends of plot from the first book collapse into a hot mess that's occasionally confusing to follow, and the unusual sex triangle gets a little silly. still, by the end, the plot snaps back to tightrope tautness, and someone's gotta save the world, whether or not it deserves it.

as a random aside, wtf is up with these covers? this buxom white chick in a wardrobe malfunction from sgt pepper is NOT the heroine of this book.
It took me two tries to get into this. It had been a while since I read Hammered, and Scardown starts up exactly where Hammered left off. But once I was in a suitably sci-fi mood, I ran with it.

Excellent pacing and enough plot twists that I didn't know what was coming next. I'm hoping the third installment will show up for Christmas.
Mardel
Scardown takes off pretty much the moment Hammered ended. Jenny Casey has agreed to go back to Canada, have some pilot training and have her "wet-ware" up-graded with "new nanites", or a new version of nanites. This is supposed to take care of her increasing pain, her increasing neurological symptoms, and more. Thus the name Scardown. Down with the scars!

With the return of many of the characters from the last novel, Jenny and Gabriel begin a complicated relationship, Elspeth is still in the pict
Dana
This was Elizabeth Bear's debut series? Really? As one of the reviewers said of the first book, "A glorious hybrid: hard science, dystopian geopolitics, and a wide-eyed sense of wonder seamlessly blended into a single book. I hate this woman. She makes the rest of us look like amateurs." (Peter Watts, on Hammered) I assure you, the sentiment applies to the second book as well (and bids good to continue in the third, which I just started.) I do kind of wonder if all three books weren't written at ...more
Lorena
Second in the series, this book did not disappoint either. The main character, some of her parts rebuilt, does not lose any of her irritability. (Best of both worlds! Not in pain, but still with bite!) There's not much for Jenny to do in this book; only trust former enemies, go back to a job that cost her everything, become the first interstellar pilot, and save the world. So, no pressure, then.

One thing that I definitely liked about this series as a whole was how relationships changed and grew
G33z3r
"Scardown" is an excellent continuation of the story begun in "Hammered". It starts off at a brisk pace and never lets up. While the first book was a gritty, noir-ish cyberpunk tale of crime and corruption in 2060s Hartford and Toronto, the sequel retains the same down-to-earth feeling, but expands the locations to also include a tentative human presence in space. It's amazing how seamlessly the author blends these settings, driven by some very real and very human characters. Like the predecesso ...more
Liam Proven
#2 of the trilogy.

I continue to be impressed by this début trilogy. It has a lot going on and while some of it does feel badly bolted-on, in the 2nd book, it actually feels like it's coming together - the most redundant-feeling plotline terminates in this book and the rest feels more cohesive for it. The protagonist does start to feel like a little bit of a Mary-Sue (if I am using that correctly) - the jaded, scarred, injured veteran has been rejuvenated and whereas that is integral to the plot
Michael Christopher
I'm pleased to see that modern authors can write as well or better than the old greats. In the second book of the trilogy, Elizabeth Bear takes her well-crafted story to an epic scale. Already weaving threads of noir and cyberpunk into a coherent fabric with golden-age-style science-fiction, the focus shifts as the shadowy corporate machinations surrounding the characters are replaced with the chicanery of international espionage and an arms race against other space-faring nations. Bear manages ...more
Jenny Casey, stuffed full of advanced nanites and hooked up to a starship run by a brilliant AI, is ready to take humanity to the stars. Or she would be, if the Chinese weren’t plotting sabotage and the Canadian team wasn’t run by sociopaths. Although Hammered got a ton of flashbacks and exposition out of the way, this is still a highly layered novel, with more planning (frankly, scheming) than action in the first half. The plethora of intriguing and nuanced characters keeps interest from flaggi ...more
Catherine
A lively, fast-paced science fiction adventure with some interesting characters. There's a substantial cast and some of them get rather short-shrift (character description suggest a multi-cultural society but no one seems to actually have much of a culture, for example). I did start this series in the middle though, just through failure to register that I was reading Book 2, so it's quite possible things hang together better if you start with Book 1 and work your way through.
Victoria
Feb 01, 2011 Victoria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Victoria by: Siri
Terrific. It took me a little while to get into this series, but where things were slow and complicated and occasionally confusing in the first volume, this book picks up and runs - in all directions, marvelously and fluidly. I'm on the fence about whether it deserves four stars or five. I still think there's a little something off about the pacing, but I love the characters and the scope of the story just keeps getting bigger and better.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I started to read this, and decided not to keep going. I had forgotten how much the nature of the romantic part of the plot annoyed me in the prequel. And also, a lieutenant is going to decline to acknowledge the colleague that a colonel just introduced him to, when the colonel is still standing there? Even in the Canadian military, I somehow doubt it.
Michelle
We're reading Undertow by this author for the next SF Book Club meeting. I started this and put it down a couple weeks ago. Decided to give it another try. It is readable...so far light on plot movement as all the necessary characters are described & put in place. Have a feeling it'll take off soon.
Kris
My favorite of the trilogy, and not just because my name got used on a throwaway character. :) The ending made me cry - I can't say more without getting spoilery.
Jill
good second book, looking forward to the third - watch out for this author, though. She'll kill off main characters. Not as bad as George R.R. Martin, but still...
Fussmama
didn't realize it was part of a series when i read it, and loved it anyway. went on to read the next book (#3), but never went back to read the first.
Jjlupa
Enjoyable blend of hard and soft SF. I enjoyed it slightly more than the first book, honestly.

Would easily recommend to any casual SF readers.
Edward Rosenfeld
An excellent continuation of the first volume...I enjoyed it and am now reading the third and final volume of the trilogy....cheers
Bryan457
These books build slowly as they are assembled puzzle piece by puzzle piece.

Slow, but enjoyable, and complex.
Richard
Good story, a bit slower than the first book. More politics and World conflict, less action.
Becky
Wow! LOVE this series!
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Code of Conduct (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #1)
  • Ties of Power (Trade Pact Universe, #2)
  • Pathfinder (Major Ariane Kedros, #3)
  • Matadora (Matador, #2)
  • The Poison Master
  • Burndive (Warchild #2)
  • Code Noir (Parrish Plessis, #2)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
Elizabeth Bear was born on the same day as Frodo and Bilbo Baggins, but in a different year. This, coupled with a childhood tendency to read the dictionary for fun, led her inevitably to penury, intransigence, the mispronunciation of common English words, and the writing of speculative fiction.

She lives in Massachusetts with a Giant Ridiculous Dog. Her partner, acclaimed fantasy author Scott Lynch
More about Elizabeth Bear...
Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky, #1) Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1) Dust (Jacob's Ladder, #1) New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1) Blood and Iron (Promethean Age, #1)