Start by marking “The House at Old Vine (House, #2)” as Want to Read:
The House at Old Vine (House, #2)

The House at Old Vine (House #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Beginning in the fifteenth century and concluding at the time of the Restoration, this is the second volume in the 'House' trilogy. The House at Old Vine is a colourful account of a turbulent period in English history containing religious persecution, war, rebellion and social change. The house in Suffolk is a dramatic link between the six characters who inhabit it during ...more
Published (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The House at Old Vine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House at Old Vine

Kayli
I love reading these typical Norah Lofts books that go through the generations. So interesting, though I must confess, fairly depressing in many of the chapters.
The coolest thing though, is that I happened to find this book at a used bookstore in Bern who had English paperbacks for 1 frank. And after a few short minutes of browsing, while my kids are waiting impatiently, I found two books by one of my favorite authors! What a great day.
Magda
There seems to be much more bitterness in this volume than in the first (The Town House), which was all the sweeter for Maude Reed's Tale. However, this volume of the series was quite interesting.
Lisa
This story covers 6 generations that all have ties to the home Old Vine. It is broken down into each persons story. I enjoyed the tales and would have rated it higher - except the ending left me dissatisfied. It was almost like the author tired of her tale and just ended the story.
May 31, 2009 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Alice
The second book of the trilogy on the town house, not so engaging as others Lofts books.
Robin
Can't put it down. So good.
Julie Hansen
Very well written--just not as good as first in series.
K.l.
Found it a bit longwinded and drawn out, there was little character continuity, and I struggle to enjoy a book when there is no consistent main characters. It was however interesting to se the progression of the houseover several cenuries, but the family relations were a little confusing!
Rebekah
Book two in the Norah Loft's "House trilogy." Interesting historical fiction involving all the people and events connected to an English house from it's building in the 1400's to modern times.
Sarah Stuart
Another from my favourite trilogy. 1st, 2nd or 3rd? I'm not sure because it's a couple of years since I read them. I've found so many new authors since I joined Goodreads.
Linda
Reed's descendants from the era of Columbus to the restoration of Charles II in 1680.
Wynne
I love this series of 3 books about a house and all the generations who live in it.
Pat Stearman
Read a lot of Norah Lofts too at one time - not at all bad.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Sandy Scharlow
Sandy Scharlow marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Edward Creter
Edward Creter marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Dorcas
Dorcas marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 15, 2015 03:58PM
  • The Hostage Queen
  • The Witches
  • Daughters of Spain (Isabella and Ferdinand, #3)
  • The Heaven Tree (Heaven Tree, #1)
  • The Emperor (The Morland Dynasty, #11)
  • Smouldering Fires
  • Deep Summer (Plantation Trilogy, #1)
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • The German Boy
195727
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen
More about Norah Lofts...

House (3 books)
  • The Town House (House, #1)
  • The House at Sunset (House, #3)
The Concubine Anne Boleyn The King's Pleasure Eleanor the Queen The Town House (House, #1)