Start by marking “The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)

The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery #2)

When Casey Maldonado and Death hitch a desperate ride away from one disaster, they throw themselves right into the middle of another one. The semi in which they are traveling crashes, and before the Grim Reaper takes Evan the Trucker away, Evan whispers to Casey about a stash hidden in the truck that she should keep away from them.

Them turns out to be a band of men who wan
Published August 1st 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Grim Reaper's Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grim Reaper's Dance

Rick F.
Mar 12, 2012 Rick F. rated it it was amazing
WHAT A TRULY ADDICTING READ!!! Superb pose and characterizations and a plot that is both complex and involving! Judy Clemems is the real thing!! A stay up all night read!!
Rick Friedman
Founder
THEJAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB
Lynn
Sep 21, 2016 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting book. I need to go back and read book #1 in the series to see how she became friends with The Grim Reaper.
Doris
Mar 20, 2013 Doris rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, cozies
This book is obviously the second book in an ongoing series. If you haven't read the first (which I haven't) then many references in this will puzzle you, in particular, why the actual personification of Death, aka the Grim Reaper, is traveling with the mysterious Casey Jones.

I don't know if it was deliberate, but I kept thinking of the railroad man whenever I read the name Casey Jones. I didn't know if the reference was intentional, or even something the author was aware of, but it kept jarrin
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Before I read the first of this series (“Embrace the Grim Reaper”) I guess I had expected something along the order of the standard YA Paranormal. Well, not so-very much not so. First of all, this series is not YA (although the second volume does involve a lovely cast of youngsters who would do well in any self-respecting YA novel; and the first book had a couple of late adolescents.) Instead I got much more than I expected: a series I could comfortably (and happily) term cozy mysteries-even sma ...more
That70sheidi
May 02, 2012 That70sheidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, 2012
Unfortunately I was unable to find the first book in this series when I came across this one, so I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. Both the series concept and the individual book concept is interesting and I'll definitely be reading more in this series.

The pacing was a bit slow at times, but the addition of the teenagers to the story helped cement this as a current-day novel. Normally I find stories in which the protagonist is tired, broke, hungry and on the run hard to swallow (people need
Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying these books where Death is a character trying to add something else to his life besides escorting souls. In this book, he's a side kick to the main character, Casey. He finds Casey interesting and he's anxious to relive his boredom. He annoys her much like a mischievous brother would but he also looks out for her and shows her a lot of concern. He does not want her to die.

Casey, on the other hand, has not been interested in living. Casey's infant son and her husband died in a
Linda
Jan 28, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Casey is the female equivalent of David Carradine's character in Kung Fu. In running away from a painful past, she left behind everything. She blows in to a new town where no one knows her, gets involved in a dangerous situation and solves it all with her amazing martial arts skills. In this book, she gets involved with a group of teens who deal with small town boredom by sneaking out to meet in the middle of the night. I liked Casey trying to be their friend and showing sisterly concern for the ...more
Gina
Oct 23, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
This is the second book in an ongoing series in which Casey (the victim of a terrible tragedy) and Death (yes...the actual death) get involved in a small town mystery. This book picks up immediately after the first book, so I wouldn't recommend reading them out of order. The mystery flows much better than in the first book, and by the end I felt I understood Casey and Death's relationship a bit better. (And no...this isn't some quirky romance where they end up together or some such.)I was disapp ...more
Stephanie Mohler
Mar 18, 2012 Stephanie Mohler rated it did not like it
By reading the other reviews, I guess I'm in the minority- but this series isn't for me.
In the 1st book, Casey is running from her past by hitchhikng. All her possessions are in her backpack. She sticks her nose into other people's business, solves a mystery, kills someone, karate chops others, and leaves town while the people she befriended clean up her messes. Oh- 'Death' is her constant companion. Not many people see him. I'm not sure if she sees him, or if she's just crazy.
The second book (
Viccy
Mar 08, 2011 Viccy rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Casey Jones is really Casey Maldonado, but she is on the run from her former life and the car corporation that is after her because their car killed her husband and baby son. The Grim Reaper rides along beside her. After the events in Clymer, Ohio, Casey has caught a ride with a trucker and is involved in an accident that kills him. Casey wants to know why those construction vehicles were in the middle of the road and not on the side of the road where they should have been. As much as Casey want ...more
Kribu
Feb 11, 2012 Kribu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars really, but I'm in a charitable mood, so rounding it up.

Hmm. Still enjoying this series! And the mystery was... something I really never would have expected to be of any interest to me, but it drew me in anyway.

Still liking Death, too. Although the constant musical instruments thing in this book was more irritating than the junk food in the previous one. Still, I do like Death. And while I keep thinking Casey is, well, really not always making the smartest decisions, getting involved
Debra
Feb 17, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other reviewers have delineated the plot. I see no reason to reinvent their wheel.

The Casey Maldonado series requires a huge suspension of disbelief. Honestly I find the premise preposterous. So why do I give this one four stars? Because I am willing to make that leap to for the company of, um, Death. Here Death is a constant companion, actually quite sympathetic and sometimes rather humorous.

I had missed this book's publication. I am glad that I tripped over it on the library shelves.
Andrea Love
Jul 08, 2010 Andrea Love rated it it was amazing
Loved It! A wonderful book with an interesting twist on the supernatural. Casey must battle with herself and the bad guys to atone for her past mistakes while maintaining her freedom. The Grim Reaper follows her like her shadow and the reader is never sure if he is there to help or to bring death to those around Casey. Humorous, exciting, and well written, Casey's story is well worth the read. I cannot wait to read more from Judy Clemens.
Christi
Sep 17, 2013 Christi rated it liked it
Good book. After two books I am still not sure why Death is hanging around but it seems to work for the series. In this book Death has an obsession with musical instruments, which is kind of fun. I like Casey but I am finding myself feeling sorry for her instead of cheering for her. I just want her to find a friend-other than Death. Good mystery and I will continue on with the series.
Lori
May 02, 2016 Lori rated it liked it
Casey really gets roughed up in this book, but never lets loose of her determination to find justice for Evan. Hope to understand soon why Death is staying with her and hope she can re-connect with her family and establish an ID again so her day-to-day life gets a bit easier. Am looking forward to getting book 3 from the library.
Jule
Apr 18, 2012 Jule rated it liked it
I really like Judy Clemens - she is smart, sassy & imaginative - definitely a 4 or 5 star writer - I am giving this a 3 star because I appreciated her writing style but simply could not get into the whole trucking theme and the overwhelming number of characters who for the most part seemed to share a personality. I fully intend to read the rest of her books, but this one just missed for me.
Tiffany Klier
Jul 02, 2010 Tiffany Klier rated it really liked it
By the title, I had thought the grim reaper would be more of a factor. But, in fact, it's an imaginary creature Casey Moldenado converses with continually. This mystery is an interesting installment in the heroine's life story. There's no indication that this is a series or a sequel, but I look forward to seeing more from this author.
Brenda Kirton
Dec 18, 2011 Brenda Kirton rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
This book was easily as good as the first one. You know you liked a book when the first thing you done when you finish it is look to see if the next one is out. I do hope the author gives Casey a little time to heal in between though. Strong characters and Death can be tedious. A very entertaining read.
james
May 07, 2012 james rated it really liked it
This a swift moving mystery whose central character is fleeing from something (we know not what exactly) from her life in Ohio. She's hitchiking through Kansas when the truck in which she's riding collides with another vehicle. She has side-kick, the Grim Reaper, who is a comedic character.

This is a fun read.
Lee Koopman
maybe I was out of my league with this book. Picked it up at the library for who could resist a dance with the Reaper? Anyhow, it seemed more like a young adult novel with straighforward plot and action. I did, however, love Death who played a great part and also played lots of muisic. His sense of humor appealed to me and his actions. He was a fun guy.
Gina Guesby
May 02, 2016 Gina Guesby rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this! And just found out there is a book before this! I really hope it's on audiobook as that's the only way I can enjoy books at work now! Props to the reader too! She did a great job making me see and hear all the areas and the characters!
Karen
May 21, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, genre
I felt this one dragged a little bit while trying to build up the mystery.
The SAD part... the copy I downloaded from the library (audio) was faulty and didn't have the end! AUGHHH So I need to get a hard copy and read the END!
Eero
Jul 23, 2012 Eero rated it really liked it
Nice detective story with grim reaper twist.

I loved how Judy Clemens throw away all supporting cast from previous book and make dozen new and intresting for this book. And plus from that there was no over clued romance subplot, but focus was in main plot.
Winged_One
Sep 12, 2012 Winged_One rated it really liked it
It made me sad that each book she leaves behind all the characters she has met. What a lonely existence. I also keep waiting for her relationship with death to become more fleshed out but not much changed from the first book.
Lindsay
Aug 22, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I really enjoy the series, although I would definately not enjoy Casey's life-style I could never get by without a shower daily or clean clothes that would suck. I really love the Grim Reaper though and his funny little remarks.
Sharon
Jun 03, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved the writings of Judy Clemens and have loved both of her series. This is the second book in her Grim Reaper series. I enjoyed this book very much and loved all the characters, even Death. If you are looking for a good mystery, I highly recommend Judy Clemens series'.
Shiloh
Apr 30, 2011 Shiloh rated it really liked it
I'm a little disappointed that she didn't return to the same town in the first book but still really enjoyed this one. The relationship between Casey and Death is the best part of this series. Also I loved Laura Ingall whatever her married name is in this, totally cracked me up :)
Jessica
Interesting for its insight into (of all things) the trucking industry, although I find the characters to be a bit too numerous to develop into more fully fleshed individuals with distinct identities.
Helene
Oct 10, 2014 Helene added it
I am enjoying this series. The characters are my favorite kind - good-ish people doing bad things for ethical reasons.
Moon Stumpp
Feb 12, 2015 Moon Stumpp rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
#2 in the series...I liked it, a lot. It's a quick paced and has an interesting twist to the story line. The series has held my attention and has me coming back for more...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ghost in Trouble (Bailey Ruth, #3)
  • Reapers, Inc. - Brigit's Cross
  • Bone Appetit (Sarah Booth Delaney, #10)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)
  • When Good Wishes Go Bad (As You Wish, #2)
  • The Double Cross (Someday Quilts Mystery, #3)
  • Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2)
  • No Mercy (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #1)
  • Candle in the Storm (Shadowed Path, #2)
  • Anne Perry Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #6)
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • The Anteater of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #1)
  • Feint Of Art (An Art Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • In Charm's Way (A Bewitching Mystery, #8)
  • Girl 4 (January David #1)
  • Wild Hunt (Evie Scelan, #2)
  • The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)
  • Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)
Judy Clemens is the author of LEAVE TOMORROW BEHIND, the newest book in the Anthony and Agatha-nominated Stella Crown mysteries. She also writes the Grim Reaper mysteries, and wrote LOST SONS, which is a stand-alone.

She lives in the beautiful state of Ohio with her family.
More about Judy Clemens...

Grim Reaper Mystery (4 books)
  • Embrace the Grim Reaper (Grim Reaper Mystery, #1)
  • Flowers for Her Grave (Grim Reaper Mystery, #3)
  • Dying Echo (Grim Reaper Mystery, #4)