Start by marking “Return to Prosperity: How America Can Regain Its Economic Superpower Status” as Want to Read:
Return to Prosperity: How America Can Regain Its Economic Superpower Status

Return to Prosperity: How America Can Regain Its Economic Superpower Status

"WE CAN'T TAX AND SPEND OUR WAY BACK TO THE GOOD TIMES."
-- Arthur B. Laffer and Stephen Moore

When Arthur B. Laffer spearheaded the theory of supply-side economics and became a member of President Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board, he took his place as an economic icon. More recently, he joined with Stephen Moore and Peter J. Tanous to write The End of Prosperity --
Published February 9th 2010 by Threshold Editions (first published February 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Prosperity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Prosperity

Paul Sidwell
Dec 05, 2010 Paul Sidwell marked it as read-2010  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at the recommendations of Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller. I love the author's well-defined credibility, and how he outlines the best way to control economic policy. It's almost comical that our current president, as much of a larger-than-life character as he truly is, knows absolutely nothing about economic policy. Art Laffer points this out in the very outset of his book, and I can't wait to read more.

Great quote from the book, IMHO (not the overall thesis, but a good quote):
Paul
Jul 09, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read on an otherwise dry subject. Laffer gives good supporting historical references to support warnings and recommendations for future monetary policy. Book covers events as current as 2010 including the expansionist initiatives of the Obama administration from "cash for clunkers", "Tax the rich", healthcare, public debt, to various stimulus and redistributionist efforts. Works well as a reference book if you're not in it for the full read.
Ray
Dec 19, 2011 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author, Arthur B. Laffer, is recognized as the father of the "trickle-down" economic theories used by supply economics since President Reagan. His theory is simple, e.g., by reducing federal tax rates, government would leave more money in the market, which would bolster the economy, which would generate jobs and goods, which would increase total income, which would ultimately produce enough tax revenue to make up for the initial reduction in taxes.
I was initially suspicious as to whether th
E
Jun 21, 2010 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A contrary – but highly informed – view of taxes and economics

Prominent economist Arthur Laffer is a contrarian’s contrarian. He urges trade with North Korea and Cuba, dislikes unions, despises stimulus packages, loves the flat tax and espouses offshore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico (note, though, that the book predates the oil spill catastrophe there). The inventor of the Laffer curve (which says, not without debate, that cutting tax rates for rich people ultimately produces more government re
Don Weidinger
Apr 09, 2016 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
supply side economics and answer as in 80’s, Obama makes basic Econ101 mistakes, hasty is bad, stimulus Keynesian is panic decision, put politicians on commission live by law no ear marks line item veto, people respond to incentives, flat tax 13% simple fair flexible lowest rate on largest base less interest and charity and tax amnesty as states have, steady monetary policy free trade do no harm regulation, Hoover tariffs and depression, subsidized mortgages via fannie Freddie, unions out of pu ...more
Scott
Oct 12, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful thing it would be if every politician in the country would read this book. Then, let's get the President an all his admin to read it. While we're at it, let's give a copy to all the Wall Street protesters and have them read it together. I know it's a pipe dream but a fellow can hope. Mr. Laffer lays out a simple formula for economic salvation. Maybe the elections next year will result in positive changes.......
Nicole
Oct 09, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard Dr. Laffer speak on the Dave Ramsey show and thought it would be interesting to read his most recent book. As I read the introduction I worried that the book would be too much of an econ book for me, however there were only a few parts that were over my head. I enjoyed the ideas in the book and was thrilled at the excellent writing. The fact that this book is recently published and deals with current economic issues was a big draw for me. I feel much more informed now!
Kent
Feb 21, 2012 Kent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
Genius! Tax policy made simple. No small accomplishment there!

Art Laffer for Chairman of the President's Council of Economic Advisers!

All Americans should read this book and finally begin to understand economics so that political candidates and special interests (of every variety and persuasion) cannot pull the wool over their eyes anymore.
Terry
Oct 03, 2011 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
This is a great book for anyone who wants to know why we are in economic trouble and what to do about it. While Art Laffer is a Reaganite, he praises Clinton and blasts Bush 2 and lambasts Obama policies! If more would pay attention to this message we would see a return to prosperity. This is a great read for a book based on economic theory.
Chris
Oct 07, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read from a quintessential supply side economist. It boils down to you get more taxes when more people are working, and more people will be employed when the entire tax rate structure is lowered. Tax something more and you get less of it, as it were. I suppose the proof is in the Reagan and Clinton years, something Obama should have studied instead of Saul Alinsky.
Naomi
Jun 10, 2010 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead on, smart economics information. I am not a big economics girl but I love the way that Art Laffer writes. He is a master at writing in a way that a layperson could grasp simple economics. His follow-up to this was just as good.
Max Gordon
Jul 08, 2015 Max Gordon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad writing, but even worse content. Fortunately, the book is old enough that his load of crap has all been proven wrong.
Katherine
Oct 05, 2010 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book, not meant to be read when it's late and you can't keep your eyes open. If only our government could adopt some of his ideas.
Izmael Arkin
Izmael Arkin rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Mc Joyce
Mc Joyce rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2011
Jesse Mckendry
Jesse Mckendry rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it did not like it
Jun 04, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Jade Bolack
Jade Bolack rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Fastgurl
Fastgurl rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Giles
Giles rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2010
John C Aschmies
John C Aschmies rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Vance
Vance rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2011
Michael Fealko
Michael Fealko rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Michael Oliver
Michael Oliver rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Cristian Hernandez
Cristian Hernandez rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Susan M Helms
Susan M Helms rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Lawrence L. Wiggins III
Lawrence L. Wiggins III rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Denis Walsh
Denis Walsh rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2010