Shadows of Evil: Long-haul Trucker Wayne Adam Ford and His Grisly Trail of Rape, Dismemberment, and Murder

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Claiming he'd been sent by God to confess, truck driver Wayne Adam Ford walked into the Humbolt County Sheriff's Office and admitted to them that he was a serial killer. After police found a gruesome piece of evidence in Ford's pocket, he told them that he had to be stopped before he killed again, before he murdered his ex-wife, and made his beloved three-year-old son an o...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 15th 2001)

Gypsykat
A True Crime story about serial killer Wayne Adam Ford. I liked how the author focused a lot on the history of the lives of his victims, and not just on Ford himself.

But i personally don't like the author's writing style. Lots of repetition (repeating the point in the next or even the same paragraph, sometimes with the exact same sentence!). Pages & pages describing a geographical area...

First chapter dedicated to blowing his own horn on how many books he's written...

Second chapter complet...more
Sandy
Dec 26, 2009 Sandy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True Crime Readers
Wayne Adam Ford was a truck driver that traveled through Calif and Las Vega in the 1990s. He was in the Marines. He married Leigh in 1981. That lasted about two years. In Dec. 6, 1980 Ford had an accident that may have caused him brain damage. He later had a relationship with Anaya. That didn't work out either.

In 1994 he met Lucie. She was from Las Vegas. They had a relationship andhad a son togehter. That ended. The body of Tina Gibbs was found in JUne 1998.The body of Lanette White was found...more
♥ Marlene♥
on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 I wrote:

I had it set as available (on bookcrossing) because of the bad reviews on amazon.
Well,I am reading it now and yes now I do understand the bad reviews.
Carlton Smith is not writing like he should have, neutral, but he is constantly telling us that poor serial killer, had suffered a mayor head trauma, so it was not really his fault.

I tried to skip those parts and then it is a good read.
What I think is annoying, he seems to know more negative facts about the...more
Katie
I'd give it another half star if possible. The story is interesting, but the author is too opinionated. In fact, the first 20 pages are nothing but his views & opinions. Despite claiming to be a journalist himself, he attacks the media as well as the police, lawyers & politicians; pretty much anyone w/ an interest in the case other than himself. He also includes a fair amount of irrelevant information.
Shirley
This could have been a very good book. But... it is poorly written, repitious and the story is all over the place. It is hard to stay focused. It is seldom that I start a book and can not get through it. I kept reading and waited for the story line but it just got so slow and went nowhere that I gave up on page 96 of 256 pages. I have read other books by Carlton Smith and found him to be an entertaining author but he really missed this one.
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Lilyhon
Lilyhon marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Mirjam Penning
Mirjam Penning marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Ashleigh Chroninger
Ashleigh Chroninger marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Tamie
Tamie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Brenda Lalonde
Brenda Lalonde marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Anne Marie
Anne Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Joycelyn Davis
Joycelyn Davis marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2012
The Search for the Green River Killer The BTK Murders: Inside the "Bind Torture Kill" Case that Terrified America's Heartland The Prom Night Murders: A Devoted American Family, their Troubled Son, and a Ghastly Crime Blood Will Tell: A Shocking True Story of Marriage, Murder, and Fatal Family Secrets Death of a Little Princess: The Tragic Story of the Murder of Jonbenet Ramsey