Start by marking “From Seed to Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
From Seed to Pumpkin

From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Pumpkins can be baked in a pie. Pumpkins can be carved into jack-o'-lanterns. Pumpkin seeds can be roasted for a healthy snack. But how does a tiny seed turn into a big pumpkin? Read and find out what a pumpkin seed needs to help it grow!
Published September 1st 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published August 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about From Seed to Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Seed to Pumpkin

Xinwen Xu
Apr 27, 2016 Xinwen Xu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very interesting, It talks about the pumpkin's growth process. In the spring, they planted the seed of pumpkin in the black earth, and they are waiting for the seed become sprout. When the sprout appear, people are very happy, they take care of these sprout very well, and the sprout have flowers, these flowers are very beautiful, people can appreciate them together. Gradually, when fall is coming, there are a lot of pumpkins. This is very great things for people, their endeavor have ...more
Alexandra Duca
Title: From Seed To Pumpkin
Author: Wendy Pfeffe
Illustrator: James Graham Hale
Genre: “How To” book
Theme(s): Life Cycles, Children Learning
Opening line/sentence: “When spring winds warm the earth, a farmer plants hundreds of pumpkin seeds.”
Brief Book Summary: This book is a very detailed stories of how pumpkin seeds grow and form into big orange pumpkins. Once the pumpkins form, the book discusses all the seasonal things people do with pumpkins and a list of activities at the end.
Professional Rec
Apr 27, 2016 997997 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book introduces how pumpkin seeds grow pumpkins. There is one farmer and with his 3 kids, when the warm of the earth, the farmers plants hundreds of pumpkin seeds into underground, every pumpkin seeds can become a baby pumpkin plants, underground, covered with dark and soil, the baby pumpkin start to grow, when the baby pumpkin start to grow, in this book, it shows forms about the growing baby pumpkin. On the planting time, the shoots will poke up the earth, and they can become two leaves, ...more
Shannon Brasher
After reading this book, I feel like I did not know much about pumpkins and flowers before I read this book. Every page I was enthralled with the metamorphosis the tiny seed was undergoing to become a big pumpkin. This book seemed to answer EVERY question I had as I read. I loved how the book included some text to self connections, explaining how the roots of the flower suck water from the ground into the flower the same way you do as you drink from a straw! At the end of the book, the author ha ...more
Sarah VanDyke
I liked this book because it goes through the growing from a seed to a pumpkin. The book can be used during the spring or fall because the seeds are planted in the spring. One thing that was interesting is how the seed leaves die off after new leaves form and how it turns into a flower. This book would be good for students to use during an independent study in the science center. The students could plant some seeds of flowers to get an idea and compare it with the book. The book could be used be ...more
Memory Kopp
This story tells the life of how a seed becomes a big orange pumpkin. It follows three young kids with a farmer as they go through all of the steps involved to make the pumpkin grow. From planting the seeds, to making sure it gets water and sunshine. This book is best appropriate for use with Kindergarten to first graders with its use of simple and easy to understand words and steps. The watercolor and pencil illustrations help to show the steps in picture form. The illustrator’s use of adding i ...more
Asho
Dec 27, 2015 Asho rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My three-year-old didn't like this book as much as the other non-fiction pumpkin book we picked out at the library. I think maybe it was targeted to a slightly older age group. I thought it was interesting, though, and I learned a lot about pumpkins that I didn't know.
Vanessa West
From Seed to Pumpkin is a wonderful non-fiction book about the process of pumpkins growth. This book is intended for elementary students. I would use this in my future kindergarden grade class and make an activity out of it which is actually listed on the back of the book of growing seedlings. The illustrations on the pages are bright and colorful with all the fall colors. The story line is very well written for students to understand all the steps that happen from a seed to a pumpkin. They expl ...more
Jan
Oct 22, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A step-by step science book of how seeds grow into pumpkins. The simple explanation of photosynthesis (without using that word) is well done, and the illustrations are beautiful. I have seen children learn various dinosaur names before they are old enough to read, so I think that "photosynthesis" might be a fun word for them -- the author did not really have to avoid it. The same goes for the first, smooth leaves on the plant. "Cotyledon" is not any harder to pronounce than "tyrannosaurus," and ...more
Hollee Young
I loved this book! I love how it explains the science of plants and the illustrations really complement the text. I think this would be good for a read aloud!
Stacy Natal
Used to teach procedural text, good for primary students, nice pics...
Mary N
Feb 28, 2016 Mary N rated it liked it
Fairly simple explanations with cute, kid friendly artwork.
Claire
Feb 17, 2010 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
I liked this book. My son seemed to follow the book well for a 3 year old. Although I think the material was advanced for him, he still seemed interested in the story and the illustrations.
I liked the fact that even I,as the parent and the adult, learned some things about pumpkins.
I also liked how the author incorporated many facts with a story line. This was a great book on learning about plants and how they grow, not just pumpkins.
Yadira
This book shows the life cycle of pumpkins, from when it first gets planted to it growing into full size. This could be used to do a science experiment and growing some pumpkins or growing something during the spring or fall season. The book has wonderful details and pictures. The last two pages give ideas for two activities.
Books Kids Like
A fun story and great illustrations help teach children about germination.
Lauren Owens
This book would be a good one to add to a plant life cycle lesson. The students could even begin planting their own seeds as a result of this book. I would consider this a plant manual book for everything you would need to know when planting a pumpkin seed and many other seeds.
Recommended grade level: P-2
Caitrin
Nov 26, 2013 Caitrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book to read in the Fall when you are discussing plants with your students. It explains to us how a pumpkin grows from a seed into a pumpkin we can use. It also has a recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds to eat that you could use at the end to enjoy with your students.
jacky
This is the first time I've read a CCSS exemplar to Natalie and she has said she read it at school. Straightforward book about plant life cycle. It says stage 1, and I was hoping that would be some sort of reading level 1 as well, but I did not have Natalie read it.
Robin Heimann
Sep 26, 2008 Robin Heimann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
Recommended to Robin by: I just bought it at Borders
This is a geood informational book for younger students, grades k-3 would be the most appropriate I think. It has great illustrations. There are some recipes and experiments in the back of the book. This time of year is an especially good time to read this book with your class.
Alicia
Jul 06, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, science
I like this book that connects what we are doing in our garden with some basic scientific explanations. There is one page that mentions Halloween, which isn't necessary to the book and may bother people who don't celebrate that holiday.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 Cornelius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-books
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to explain to children the steps a seed takes to grow. In addition, the book describes what a seed needs to grow and the parts of a plant.
Emily Graham
This a really good informational text for younger students. It explains the growth of a pumpkin in simple terms to where younger students can understand it and the pictures illustrate it very well.
Jessica Benson
I used this book in the classroom to read before doing learning centers on pumpkins. It is a great way to introduce the life cycle of a pumpkin, showing all the stages that it goes through.
Nicol
Sep 17, 2009 Nicol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, own
Perhaps my child simply loves pumpkins, but this is one book that she has asked to read every night for the past 3 weeks! She is looking forward to her pumpkins turning orange so we can pick them.
Jaime
Oct 01, 2011 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trumans-shelf
This book gives a good child-like explanation of how a pumpkin becomes a pumpkin. Truman has really enjoyed it, and we look forward to planting our own pumpkin seeds next year & watching them grow.
Kimberly
Aug 26, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exellent pictures. Love the connection from Science and Art. Personal experience for kids is important so to mention the seasons as well as the Holidays they celebrate is important.
Teri
Oct 31, 2010 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween, plants
Another non-fiction look at pumpkins, more generic and suited for younger audience. The part we liked is the clear description of what a plant needs: air, water, sunshine.
Heather
Sep 03, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Margaret asks me to read and read this to her. And she chooses it for her quiet time before bed time to read to herself. So it gets 4 stars for that.
Jcooley723
A good read. Very easy read. It is a good book for younger students. There are not diagrams and real pictures. It is good for beginning research.
Hannah Sheffield
This book explains how a pumpkin grows in simple terms. I also like that it has two activities in the back of the book that children can try.
  • How Do Apples Grow?
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • A Tree Is a Plant (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • From Seed to Plant
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • Cactus Hotel
  • Pumpkin Cat
  • Clouds
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • How a Seed Grows
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
Wendy Pfeffer is an award winning author of many children’s books. A former teacher and nursery school director, Mrs. Pfeffer lives in Pennington, New Jersey. In addition to writing, she continues to teach writing and visit schools to share her work.
More about Wendy Pfeffer...

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1 (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Bugs Are Insects
  • I'm Growing!
  • My Hands (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • How Many Teeth?
  • Clouds
  • My Feet
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • What's Alive?