Start by marking “From Seed to Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
From Seed to Pumpkin

From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Pumpkins can be baked in a pie. Pumpkins can be carved into jack-o'-lanterns. Pumpkin seeds can be roasted for a healthy snack. But how does a tiny seed turn into a big pumpkin? Read and find out what a pumpkin seed needs to help it grow!
Published September 1st 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published August 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about From Seed to Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Seed to Pumpkin

Memory Kopp
This story tells the life of how a seed becomes a big orange pumpkin. It follows three young kids with a farmer as they go through all of the steps involved to make the pumpkin grow. From planting the seeds, to making sure it gets water and sunshine. This book is best appropriate for use with Kindergarten to first graders with its use of simple and easy to understand words and steps. The watercolor and pencil illustrations help to show the steps in picture form. The illustrator’s use of adding i ...more
Sarah VanDyke
I liked this book because it goes through the growing from a seed to a pumpkin. The book can be used during the spring or fall because the seeds are planted in the spring. One thing that was interesting is how the seed leaves die off after new leaves form and how it turns into a flower. This book would be good for students to use during an independent study in the science center. The students could plant some seeds of flowers to get an idea and compare it with the book. The book could be used be ...more
Vanessa West
From Seed to Pumpkin is a wonderful non-fiction book about the process of pumpkins growth. This book is intended for elementary students. I would use this in my future kindergarden grade class and make an activity out of it which is actually listed on the back of the book of growing seedlings. The illustrations on the pages are bright and colorful with all the fall colors. The story line is very well written for students to understand all the steps that happen from a seed to a pumpkin. They expl ...more
Jan
A step-by step science book of how seeds grow into pumpkins. The simple explanation of photosynthesis (without using that word) is well done, and the illustrations are beautiful. I have seen children learn various dinosaur names before they are old enough to read, so I think that "photosynthesis" might be a fun word for them -- the author did not really have to avoid it. The same goes for the first, smooth leaves on the plant. "Cotyledon" is not any harder to pronounce than "tyrannosaurus," and ...more
Claire
I liked this book. My son seemed to follow the book well for a 3 year old. Although I think the material was advanced for him, he still seemed interested in the story and the illustrations.
I liked the fact that even I,as the parent and the adult, learned some things about pumpkins.
I also liked how the author incorporated many facts with a story line. This was a great book on learning about plants and how they grow, not just pumpkins.
Yadira
This book shows the life cycle of pumpkins, from when it first gets planted to it growing into full size. This could be used to do a science experiment and growing some pumpkins or growing something during the spring or fall season. The book has wonderful details and pictures. The last two pages give ideas for two activities.
Books Kids Like
A fun story and great illustrations help teach children about germination.
Lauren Owens
This book would be a good one to add to a plant life cycle lesson. The students could even begin planting their own seeds as a result of this book. I would consider this a plant manual book for everything you would need to know when planting a pumpkin seed and many other seeds.
Recommended grade level: P-2
Caitrin
This is a good book to read in the Fall when you are discussing plants with your students. It explains to us how a pumpkin grows from a seed into a pumpkin we can use. It also has a recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds to eat that you could use at the end to enjoy with your students.
Robin Heimann
Sep 26, 2008 Robin Heimann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
Recommended to Robin by: I just bought it at Borders
This is a geood informational book for younger students, grades k-3 would be the most appropriate I think. It has great illustrations. There are some recipes and experiments in the back of the book. This time of year is an especially good time to read this book with your class.
Alicia
I like this book that connects what we are doing in our garden with some basic scientific explanations. There is one page that mentions Halloween, which isn't necessary to the book and may bother people who don't celebrate that holiday.
Cornelius
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to explain to children the steps a seed takes to grow. In addition, the book describes what a seed needs to grow and the parts of a plant.
Emily Graham
This a really good informational text for younger students. It explains the growth of a pumpkin in simple terms to where younger students can understand it and the pictures illustrate it very well.
Jessica Benson
I used this book in the classroom to read before doing learning centers on pumpkins. It is a great way to introduce the life cycle of a pumpkin, showing all the stages that it goes through.
Nicol
Perhaps my child simply loves pumpkins, but this is one book that she has asked to read every night for the past 3 weeks! She is looking forward to her pumpkins turning orange so we can pick them.
Jaime
This book gives a good child-like explanation of how a pumpkin becomes a pumpkin. Truman has really enjoyed it, and we look forward to planting our own pumpkin seeds next year & watching them grow.
Kimberly
Exellent pictures. Love the connection from Science and Art. Personal experience for kids is important so to mention the seasons as well as the Holidays they celebrate is important.
Teri
Another non-fiction look at pumpkins, more generic and suited for younger audience. The part we liked is the clear description of what a plant needs: air, water, sunshine.
Heather
Margaret asks me to read and read this to her. And she chooses it for her quiet time before bed time to read to herself. So it gets 4 stars for that.
Jcooley723
A good read. Very easy read. It is a good book for younger students. There are not diagrams and real pictures. It is good for beginning research.
Hannah Sheffield
This book explains how a pumpkin grows in simple terms. I also like that it has two activities in the back of the book that children can try.
Amanda Jordan
Great book on the plant life cycle. Would be wonderful to use before our pumpkin patch field trip. I think kids would love the pictures.
Olson Family Matters
The text wasn't very interesting to Madelyn, but the pictures told the story and we still learned how a pumpkin grows!
Eagle
I liked the story. This book is the Life Cyle of a pumkin. We put pictures on a paper just like the story. Abby
Sheila
A fun, children's book about pumpkins, with some fun, easy science experiments to try at the back of the book.
Angela
Grade: k-2

Topics: Life cycles, needs of a plant

This is a great book that shows the life cycle of a pumpkin.
Jasmin Thompson
Great book to teach children about germination. How do seeds grow? Students will find the answers in this book.
Mandy
I am actually very surprised at how many new facts I learned from this book about the life cycle of a pumpkin!
Amanda Day
This is a informational book about how pumpkins grow.
Pauline
Informative, nicely illustrated, and well written.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • From Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • From Seed to Plant
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • The Planets in Our Solar System
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Cactus Hotel
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • How a Seed Grows
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
  • Rosie Sprout's Time to Shine
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • Animals in Winter: Stage 1
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Germs Make Me Sick! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2) (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Sarah Morton's Day: A Day In The Life Of A Pilgrim Girl
  • The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library: Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
Wendy Pfeffer is an award winning author of many children’s books. A former teacher and nursery school director, Mrs. Pfeffer lives in Pennington, New Jersey. In addition to writing, she continues to teach writing and visit schools to share her work.
More about Wendy Pfeffer...
The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice From Tadpole to Frog Wiggling Worms at Work A Log's Life We Gather Together: Celebrating the Harvest Season