Start by marking “Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1” as Want to Read:
Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1

Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hideous Gnosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hideous Gnosis

Patrick Sprunger
Jan 09, 2013 Patrick Sprunger rated it liked it
Shelves: other, read-in-2012
Hideous Gnosis does what is feared most: it opens up a space for pseudo-hipsters to plunder one of the final redoubts of the counter culture. While it shouldn't be hard to analyze black metal, justifying its more out of control elements is a huge challenge simply not met by this anthology of essayists trying to outdo each other with impenetrable analysis. Naming the endless permutations of nihilism within the genre is as farcical here as the flagpole scene in A Christmas Story (why not just comm ...more
Katrin
Jun 12, 2016 Katrin rated it liked it
Shelves: music
By now I have read quite a lot about black metal theory, if that can even be called a thing. I must say that once again I did enjoy it, although some essays were really far from the main subject and again others really interesting and highly informative. Academics have such a different approach to this. Some lose themselves in philosophical nonsense that - in my opinion - misses the idea completely and again others really want to find a way to explain the black metal phenomenon. Some essays capt ...more
Mike Keirsbilck
Apr 12, 2015 Mike Keirsbilck rated it it was ok
Shelves: r-52-books
The premiss of the book piqued my interest: finally a book that would have something to say about the philosophy of black metal. A genre that has indeed some depth to it, but is always regarded as the retarded kid of the musical family. I hoped to gain some insights and to be able to recommend a good book when one of my favorite genres is mocked again.

Sadly enough, this won't be that book. This book is supposedly the recap of a symposium on black metal, but it must have been conducted by some r
Gary Donnelly
Aug 12, 2013 Gary Donnelly rated it it was ok
Firstly, I think that this tome was deliberately dense. I am a philosopher myself and I believe wholly in making things as simple as possible in order to make my writing accessible. Some of these papers seemed a tad too 'ivory-tower' for me, and, given the difficulties I had in ascertaining what some writers were going on about, I shudder to think of the struggles your average metalhead should face in trying to interact with this publication.

Secondly, the proof-reading and editing was seriously
Headsink headsink
Dec 24, 2012 Headsink headsink rated it did not like it
Shelves: bullshit
Metal for me is like Zen, you must listen, headbang and the experience is Metal.

Transcendental Black Metal? Come on its a joke. Liturgy with 'burst beat' and high pitched guitar sucks! Their hipster image loathed me even worse. If Transcendental was double nihilism and they had inverse for the typical black metal ideas then why don't call it White Metal?(hahahah guess you can't do that because you need to be god-believing christian metalhead first!)

My view about this book can be found in the boo
Jacob Dunn
May 16, 2016 Jacob Dunn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
An interesting collection of essays. It seems that people discredit the book because they disapprove of the essays within, but I found all of them to be valuable, even if I didn't necessarily agree with half of them.
If you like thinking about BM in a way you wouldn't any other genre of metal, this collection is an important read; it's a lone, intelligent voice in a choir of mindless elitism.
Johanna
Apr 10, 2014 Johanna rated it it was amazing
Fundamental to my perception of Black Metal, my approach to elitism, my understanding of transcendence, and my thesis. Garbled thoughts tumbling down dark abyssic holes - you tumble with them, or you stay behind. Both might work, as this not merely a hallelujah for fans, but an academic approach to something I didn't believe could be "academicised" before.
Jorge
Dec 18, 2012 Jorge rated it did not like it
It's a really hard book to read but I made it through it. It is written very pretentiously and most of the ideology is very bizarre. I would say that about 80% of the material was written just to sound smart and make the reader feel stupid for not understanding what they're talking about. Over all the book sucks but I did appreciate the sections on 'Wolves in the Throne Room'.
Gnome Books
Jan 14, 2014 Gnome Books rated it liked it
Part noble gesture towards the dark sublime peaks of 'black metal theory', part academic foolery. For the idea of black metal theory to succeed, the prose of theoretical thought will have to be actually infected with black metal lyricism, which occasionally happens in this text.
Erkan Saka
Sep 18, 2013 Erkan Saka rated it really liked it
Shelves: culturalstudies
Glossary in the end is a very informative one.
eugene thacker: 'three questions on demonology' is an informative chapter.
Cory Card
Mar 14, 2011 Cory Card rated it liked it
A bit of a stretch at times, some points are absolutely ridiculous... wish it discussed more BM culture
Jack
Jul 27, 2011 Jack rated it liked it
A mostly-good grab-bag split between insights on black metal and theory wank.
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Massimo Spiga
Massimo Spiga rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
James Lucher
James Lucher marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Julie Austin
Julie Austin marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
May 02, 2016
Adam
Adam added it
Apr 26, 2016
Viktor
Viktor marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2016
Kosa
Kosa is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2016
Lyle
Lyle marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
John Kammeyer-mueller
John Kammeyer-mueller rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2016
Lukáš
Lukáš rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Olek Giejsztowt
Olek Giejsztowt marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Review Round-Up 1 8 Aug 30, 2010 07:43AM
  • Black Metal: Beyond the Darkness
  • Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces
  • 20 Jazz Funk Greats
  • True Norwegian Black Metal
  • Only Death is Real: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost, 1981-1985
  • Krautrock: Cosmic Rock and Its Legacy
  • Heavy Metal: The Music and Its Culture
  • No Wave
  • The Art of Noise (futurist manifesto, 1913)
  • Noise/Music: A History
  • Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries
  • Krautrocksampler
  • Sonic Warfare: Sound, Affect, and the Ecology of Fear
  • Rotten Island
  • More Brilliant Than the Sun: Adventures in Sonic Fiction
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • Rhythmanalysis: Space, Time and Everyday Life (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers) (Paperback)
  • Swedish Death Metal