Start by marking “Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1” as Want to Read:
Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1

Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hideous Gnosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hideous Gnosis

Patrick Sprunger
Hideous Gnosis does what is feared most: it opens up a space for pseudo-hipsters to plunder one of the final redoubts of the counter culture. While it shouldn't be hard to analyze black metal, justifying its more out of control elements is a huge challenge simply not met by this anthology of essayists trying to outdo each other with impenetrable analysis. Naming the endless permutations of nihilism within the genre is as farcical here as the flagpole scene in A Christmas Story (why not just comm ...more
The premiss of the book piqued my interest: finally a book that would have something to say about the philosophy of black metal. A genre that has indeed some depth to it, but is always regarded as the retarded kid of the musical family. I hoped to gain some insights and to be able to recommend a good book when one of my favorite genres is mocked again.

Sadly enough, this won't be that book. This book is supposedly the recap of a symposium on black metal, but it must have been conducted by some r
Gary Donnelly
Firstly, I think that this tome was deliberately dense. I am a philosopher myself and I believe wholly in making things as simple as possible in order to make my writing accessible. Some of these papers seemed a tad too 'ivory-tower' for me, and, given the difficulties I had in ascertaining what some writers were going on about, I shudder to think of the struggles your average metalhead should face in trying to interact with this publication.

Secondly, the proof-reading and editing was seriously
Headsink headsink
Metal for me is like Zen, you must listen, headbang and the experience is Metal.

Transcendental Black Metal? Come on its a joke. Liturgy with 'burst beat' and high pitched guitar sucks! Their hipster image loathed me even worse. If Transcendental was double nihilism and they had inverse for the typical black metal ideas then why don't call it White Metal?(hahahah guess you can't do that because you need to be god-believing christian metalhead first!)

My view about this book can be found in the boo
Fundamental to my perception of Black Metal, my approach to elitism, my understanding of transcendence, and my thesis. Garbled thoughts tumbling down dark abyssic holes - you tumble with them, or you stay behind. Both might work, as this not merely a hallelujah for fans, but an academic approach to something I didn't believe could be "academicised" before.
It's a really hard book to read but I made it through it. It is written very pretentiously and most of the ideology is very bizarre. I would say that about 80% of the material was written just to sound smart and make the reader feel stupid for not understanding what they're talking about. Over all the book sucks but I did appreciate the sections on 'Wolves in the Throne Room'.
Gnome Books
Part noble gesture towards the dark sublime peaks of 'black metal theory', part academic foolery. For the idea of black metal theory to succeed, the prose of theoretical thought will have to be actually infected with black metal lyricism, which occasionally happens in this text.
Erkan Saka
Glossary in the end is a very informative one.
eugene thacker: 'three questions on demonology' is an informative chapter.
Cory Card
A bit of a stretch at times, some points are absolutely ridiculous... wish it discussed more BM culture
A mostly-good grab-bag split between insights on black metal and theory wank.
Nick Smith
Nick Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Alejo marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Bijan Ayati
Bijan Ayati marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Structure marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Stephen Gracia
Stephen Gracia is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2015
Delana Barker
Delana Barker marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Colum marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Alfredo Hinojosa
Alfredo Hinojosa marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Ryan added it
Jul 30, 2015
Nádia Batista
Nádia Batista marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Review Round-Up 1 8 Aug 30, 2010 07:43AM
  • Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces
  • True Norwegian Black Metal
  • 20 Jazz Funk Greats
  • Black Metal: Beyond the Darkness
  • Heavy Metal: The Music and Its Culture
  • No Wave
  • The Art of Noise (futurist manifesto, 1913)
  • Noise/Music: A History
  • Wreckers of Civilisation: The Story of COUM Transmissions and Throbbing Gristle
  • Metalion: The Slayer Mag Diaries
  • Krautrocksampler
  • Sonic Warfare: Sound, Affect, and the Ecology of Fear
  • Rhythmanalysis: Space, Time and Everyday Life (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers) (Paperback)
  • Running with the Devil: Power, Gender and Madness in Heavy Metal Music (Music/Culture)
  • Fanged Noumena: Collected Writings, 1987-2007
  • Rotten Island
  • More Brilliant Than the Sun: Adventures in Sonic Fiction
  • Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
And They Were Two In One And One In Two The Voice of the Hammer: The Meaning of Work in Middle English Literature Sufficient Unto the Day: Sermones Contra Solicitudinem Glossator Volume 7 Mors Mystica: Black Metal Theory Symposium