Start by marking “Welcome to Monster Town” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Monster Town

Welcome to Monster Town

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
As soon as the sun sets on Monstertown, creatures of all kinds go to work. So hop on the Ghoul Bus and see for yourself who inhabits this ghoulish town. Dr. Cyclops, Postmaster Skeleton, Frank N. Stein, Dr. Mummy, Captain Witch, and many other monster friends—including a junior monster-in-training—will welcome you with open arms!
Published July 20th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Monster Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Monster Town

Andy
May 12, 2014 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidstuff, art-gallery
If there's anything kids like as much as robots it's monsters, and Ryan Heshka's tribute to monsters is every bit as fun as "Welcome To Robot Town". His artwork is just as colorful and imaginative in this book as it is in his robot book. I can't wait to see what he's going to do next!
Sarah Sammis
May 12, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
When I was a child I was fascinated by ghosts. Where some children have invisible friends, I had an entire parallel ghost city to my own home town. My son seems to have inherited my love of the paranormal but his architectural dream involves a monster city, not ghostly urban sprawl.

Monster Town by Ryan Heshka bridges the gap between the ghosts and the monsters. It follows a typical "day" in Monster Town, which starts at sundown and goes to sunrise. The ghouls go to school. The vampires go to wor
Judy
Jun 17, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Does this count as a Halloween book? I've never been a fan of monsters, but I suspect that this topic with the vivid art will appeal to an assortment of kids. The career choices will be most appreciated by the adult readers.
Donald Armfield
Sep 20, 2014 Donald Armfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A friend here on goodreads suggested this author to read with my little ghouls.

The artwork is on point for children monster bonanza. The small lines make a quick bedtime story for children who love monsters.
Naomi
Jul 26, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
Cute plays on monster names/tasks for jobs found in a normal town. I can see kids "howling" at this book. It is really adorable. Illustrations were bold to really make the book stand out.
Cmeiss330
Oct 02, 2014 Cmeiss330 rated it it was amazing
Very cute. I love the illustrations - they have kind of a warped 1950s ad feel.
The Book Box
Dec 10, 2014 The Book Box added it
Shelves: own
Mama read this to me a little past Halloween, but I still liked it.
Kerry
Oct 29, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it
Clever use of monsters to illustrate careers for children
Lucy C
Feb 17, 2015 Lucy C rated it really liked it
It was a good monsterly book
Sarah W
Mar 16, 2011 Sarah W rated it really liked it
The pictures are filled with twists on normal human towns: ghoul busses, blood banks, Igor teaching science. Green tinged art adds a spooky flair. My favorite pages are Dr. Mummy the vet treating a group of cats and the Giant Squid working at the diner.

The town wakes up, zombies lurching to work, when the sun goes down. An obvious choice as a Halloween read, young readers should enjoy it year round. I could also see this book as an interesting introduction to studying communities and careers.
Dianne Casas
May 08, 2012 Dianne Casas rated it really liked it
When the sun goes down, Monster Town comes to life. Zombies go to work and kids take the ghoul bus. Ghost writers cover the news and Postmaster Skeleton delivers the monster mail. Frank N. Stein is the master electrician who is "shockingly good at his work." The zany illustrations are perfect to complement the equally kooky characters of Monster Town. Clever word play and vivid pictures make for a frightfully fun read aloud. Boys and Ghouls will howl for this Halloween book.
Carissa
Jan 07, 2011 Carissa rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The book has a cute concept. I was hoping that there would be continuity with the storyline that featured the Bat Boy in each one, but he seemed to hang out in the background of some of the pages. Also, the illustrations are supposed to by acrylic and collage, and they are, but the collage aspect is just some small snippets of typed words. My idea of collage ... well, I suppose I'm thinking of mixed media so it's collage on a greater scale.
Teree
Aug 31, 2010 Teree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, eyecandy
Every 'Spooky Art' aficionado will adore and covet this new children's picture book, by Ryan Heshka. "Welcome to Monster Town" tells us, in brief sentences, about the careers of all the ghoulish characters in the community. The art is colorful, imaginative and adorably monstrous. A+
Erin
Sep 14, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
Kids who like scary (but not too scary) will delight in this book! Great illustrations and a whole town full of scary creatures doing fairly normal things. This will be a read aloud keeper for some kids!
Alice
Oct 16, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
This is a fun Halloween book with great illustrations and a fun spin. Clearly they are all night creatures so they go to bed when the sun comes up...Good Morning!! :-D
Jessica castro
Oct 23, 2014 Jessica castro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So fun!

the artwork is beautiful and it's a cute (non scary) book! my son loved the barber and science class in ghoul school.
Gwen the Librarian
This picturebook doesn't have particularly creative text, but the illustrations are outstanding and can be pored over for a long time.
Megan
Dec 20, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Completely silly, with gorgeous illustrations. I can't wait for the upcoming Robot Town!
Molly
Dec 07, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it
Great for Halloween storytime, spooky and silly and not really scary.
Morgan
Oct 10, 2010 Morgan rated it liked it
Great illustrations, but no actual story
Krystyn
Apr 02, 2012 Krystyn rated it it was ok
Boring text but great illustrations.
Kevyn
Oct 10, 2011 Kevyn rated it it was amazing
This book was pretty good.
Morris
Aug 10, 2013 Morris rated it it was amazing
"I just liked all of it!"
PWRL
Sep 20, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Aiden
Aiden rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Jay Spain
Jay Spain rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Benjamin Elliott
Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Jessica Cho
Jessica Cho marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016