Start by marking “The Trucker” as Want to Read:
The Trucker

The Trucker

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  28 reviews
What Leo wants is a fire truck; what Mama gives him is a kitten: Lola. To make matters worse, mischievous and high-spirited Lola just about takes over all of Leo’s favorite things. Just when Leo’s had enough, Lola surprises him and saves the day. Colorful, bold illustrations filled with trucks, trucks, and more trucks enliven this satisfying story of friendship.
Published July 20th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Trucker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trucker

Elizabeth Davis
My son would give this 5 stars but that's just because he's 2 and loves trucks. First, I do not like that the story cannot hold upon its own without the illustrations and the illustrations
Teacher.
Is your little one obsessed over just one toy or theme that drives you crazy? In The Trucker, by Barbara Samuels, one mother endures reading after re-reading of her son’s favorite book plus trucks at every moment from finding truck in her oatmeal to being used as a human construction set covered with vehicles. She knows that her son is a trucker at heart, but a mom can only take so much, right? Finally mom decides to take her little boy for a walk in the neighborhood intent on finding new intere ...more
Emerson
This book is great! Starts as a story about a little boy (Leo) and his love of trucks. Then his mommy buys a cat (Lola) and the story becomes about how Lola loves trucks, and loves Leo and loves spending time with Leo! Leo is bothered (very much like our little reader Emerson) by Lola and her intrusion into his land of trucks. But when Lolo scales the faux burning building and saves the stuffed bunny, he realizes how much fun it can be to have a playmate as great as Lola. We are trying VERY much ...more
Kapila
More than just the main story, essentially, of a boy who loves trucks and comes to love a kitty, what sets this book apart is a refreshing attention to love and growing and changing. These themes are understated but essential, lending just a hint of thoughtfulness to an otherwise humorous story of a boy's passionate love of trucks which most children and parents will relate to immediately. I appreciate the fact that the only members of this family are the mother, the boy, and then, later, the ki ...more
Kay
My 4-year-old grandson is obsessed with trucks, and I must have read over a hundred truck-related books aloud to him. This one, however, is in a class by itself. It's got a plot, it's got character development (human and feline), and it's not preaching. The illustrations are jolly, whimsical, and inventive.
The story centers on Leo, whose every waking moment is consumed by trucks. But when his Mom brings home a big package for him, he is devastated to find out that it contains a large marmalade c
Katie
May 30, 2014 Katie added it
Shelves: 1-000-books
III
Proud Book Nerd
I received this through Firstreads, and found it to be a great book. The illustrations are colorful and delightful. The story is very cute. It's about a little boy who LOVES trucks and is disappointed to find his mom got him a CAT instead of a new TRUCK! It was very cute, and made me smile. Best of all, my kids loved it!
Jess Brown
Leo is obsessed with trucks, so when his mother tries to entice him with a cat, it doesn't seem like it's going to go well. Turns out, that cat is pretty good with a steam roller and becomes a great assistant. This is a cute book, but nothing fantastic. Most appropriate for preschoolers.
Tam
My 4-year-old loves trucks and cars so this book was perfect for him. He loved counting how many vehicles he could find on each page. He loved finding different ways the vehicles helped the little boy Leo (at breakfast the crane squeezes the maple syrup onto the pancakes).
Kim
Okay, I'm probably actually a 3.5 on this one.

The beginning is a truck book, and when you feel it reaching it's conclusion it strangely turns into a cat book. Not that I don't like Lola and Leo, but I thought we should have focused on one story or the other.
The Library Lady
I have loved Samuels "Duncan and Dolores" series for years, but I feel only lukewarm about this one. There are two different books mish-mashed here, one for the cat people and one for the truck people, and together it doesn't work as well as it should.
Janet
Like many young boys Leo loves trucks and more trucks. However, his Mama is not so into trucks and purchases Leo a cat named Lola. Leo and Lola develop a friendship around, whatelse but trucks. Delightful and with great illustrations.
Rachael
I was surprised to find that this book is actually quite hilarious, particularly as the mommy of a vehicle-obsessed toddler. I have to say, though, the illustrations perfectly illustrate why I do NOT want to have a cat! ;)
Kris
Leo loves trucks, and it turns out, his cat Lola does, too. I think parents of young trucker-lovers will get the biggest kick from this book. Little truckers may prefer a book that's actually about trucks.
Emo
I love this book. The subtleties of the mom's mood made me laugh and I really liked the relationship development between the boy and the cat. very cute.
Jenna
I love this book! Bright, vivid illustrations - playful, gently surprising. A great little boy book.
cj
My 5 yo enjoyed this so much, we had to read it 4 times in a row.
Bobby
Another book about a truck-obsessed kid. Cute twist with the cat.
Candida
I'm reading this one at my next Transportation storytime!
Kirsten Swanson
This is great. It's our current favorite from the library.
Jean-Marie
A very cute read. Perfect for little ones who love trucks.
Mayra
for cat and truck lovers :)
Mckinley
Pets take after their owners?
Angie
This author knows cats!
Paula
Aug 15, 2011 Paula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pic
very entertaining
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Duncan and Dolores Happy Valentine's Day, Dolores Fred's Beds Dolores Meets Her Match Dolores on her Toes