Start by marking “The Trucker” as Want to Read:
The Trucker

The Trucker

What Leo wants is a fire truck; what Mama gives him is a kitten: Lola. To make matters worse, mischievous and high-spirited Lola just about takes over all of Leo's favorite things. Just when Leo's had enough, Lola surprises him and saves the day. Colorful, bold illustrations filled with trucks, trucks, and more trucks enliven this satisfying story of friendship.
Published July 20th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Trucker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trucker

Lacey Louwagie
Jan 15, 2016 Lacey Louwagie rated it really liked it
This is one of those picture books that might be more fun for adults than for the kid. The story is pretty straightforward -- my husband was not impressed -- but I found it utterly charming. It's about a boy whose mother attempts to disrupt his obsession with trucks by buying him a cat. I checked the book out for the cat, but what won me over was the mother -- from the book on her end table about "how to raise a sensitive boy" to the way she and her son talked "past" each other while she tried t ...more
Elizabeth Davis
My son would give this 5 stars but that's just because he's 2 and loves trucks. First, I do not like that the story cannot hold upon its own without the illustrations and the illustrations
Nov 17, 2011 Teacher. rated it really liked it
Is your little one obsessed over just one toy or theme that drives you crazy? In The Trucker, by Barbara Samuels, one mother endures reading after re-reading of her son’s favorite book plus trucks at every moment from finding truck in her oatmeal to being used as a human construction set covered with vehicles. She knows that her son is a trucker at heart, but a mom can only take so much, right? Finally mom decides to take her little boy for a walk in the neighborhood intent on finding new intere ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Leo loves trucks. Since birth, he's been riding them over his mother's legs while she sits in her easy chair, reading about them in his favorite book, Big Rigs, and even leaving them accidentally in his mother's breakfast oatmeal.

One day, Leo's mom encourages him to take a walk, but no matter what she points out in the scenery, Leo only has eyes for nearby trucks. At the pet store, Mom sees a cat and says, "This one is pretty terrific, don't you think?" and Leo, who is looking the other way, at
Amy J
Nov 13, 2014 Amy J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This sweet story of a little trucker had me reminiscing about my son, who for many years of his early life was dedicated to becoming a trucker. Add the cat and the story is practically identical to his own. So how could I not love this story? With adorable illustrations making the story complete, this is a great children's story.
Mar 28, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Silas (age 3.5) adored this book we borrowed from the library. Very cute and funny illustrations (the little boy digging In a litter box with his truck, YUP!) and mama gives the book extra props for featuring a baby wearing daddy in it ;)
Stacie Herbert
Jan 06, 2016 Stacie Herbert rated it it was ok
This was not a big hit this week, the story was nice and easy to follow but I guess my two year old son is more into dogs than a kitty. We might try this again later this year.
Jul 26, 2010 Kapila rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
More than just the main story, essentially, of a boy who loves trucks and comes to love a kitty, what sets this book apart is a refreshing attention to love and growing and changing. These themes are understated but essential, lending just a hint of thoughtfulness to an otherwise humorous story of a boy's passionate love of trucks which most children and parents will relate to immediately. I appreciate the fact that the only members of this family are the mother, the boy, and then, later, the ki ...more
Feb 29, 2012 Kay rated it it was amazing
My 4-year-old grandson is obsessed with trucks, and I must have read over a hundred truck-related books aloud to him. This one, however, is in a class by itself. It's got a plot, it's got character development (human and feline), and it's not preaching. The illustrations are jolly, whimsical, and inventive.
The story centers on Leo, whose every waking moment is consumed by trucks. But when his Mom brings home a big package for him, he is devastated to find out that it contains a large marmalade c
Mar 11, 2016 Dolores rated it really liked it
Just another "a boy and his cat" story. Just adorable.
Emerson and Theodore
Apr 21, 2015 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
This book is great! Starts as a story about a little boy (Leo) and his love of trucks. Then his mommy buys a cat (Lola) and the story becomes about how Lola loves trucks, and loves Leo and loves spending time with Leo! Leo is bothered (very much like our little reader Emerson) by Lola and her intrusion into his land of trucks. But when Lolo scales the faux burning building and saves the stuffed bunny, he realizes how much fun it can be to have a playmate as great as Lola. We are trying VERY much ...more
Kelsey Yates
Mar 26, 2015 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it
Machines everywhere.
Feb 29, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok
Pretty weak.
May 30, 2014 Katie added it
Shelves: 1-000-books
Jun 27, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
I received this through Firstreads, and found it to be a great book. The illustrations are colorful and delightful. The story is very cute. It's about a little boy who LOVES trucks and is disappointed to find his mom got him a CAT instead of a new TRUCK! It was very cute, and made me smile. Best of all, my kids loved it!
Jess Brown
Leo is obsessed with trucks, so when his mother tries to entice him with a cat, it doesn't seem like it's going to go well. Turns out, that cat is pretty good with a steam roller and becomes a great assistant. This is a cute book, but nothing fantastic. Most appropriate for preschoolers.
May 10, 2011 Tam rated it really liked it
My 4-year-old loves trucks and cars so this book was perfect for him. He loved counting how many vehicles he could find on each page. He loved finding different ways the vehicles helped the little boy Leo (at breakfast the crane squeezes the maple syrup onto the pancakes).
Okay, I'm probably actually a 3.5 on this one.

The beginning is a truck book, and when you feel it reaching it's conclusion it strangely turns into a cat book. Not that I don't like Lola and Leo, but I thought we should have focused on one story or the other.
The Library Lady
Sep 09, 2010 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I have loved Samuels "Duncan and Dolores" series for years, but I feel only lukewarm about this one. There are two different books mish-mashed here, one for the cat people and one for the truck people, and together it doesn't work as well as it should.
Dec 02, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
Like many young boys Leo loves trucks and more trucks. However, his Mama is not so into trucks and purchases Leo a cat named Lola. Leo and Lola develop a friendship around, whatelse but trucks. Delightful and with great illustrations.
Nov 05, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it
I was surprised to find that this book is actually quite hilarious, particularly as the mommy of a vehicle-obsessed toddler. I have to say, though, the illustrations perfectly illustrate why I do NOT want to have a cat! ;)
Oct 11, 2010 Kristen rated it liked it
Leo loves trucks, and it turns out, his cat Lola does, too. I think parents of young trucker-lovers will get the biggest kick from this book. Little truckers may prefer a book that's actually about trucks.
Feb 18, 2011 Emo rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The subtleties of the mom's mood made me laugh and I really liked the relationship development between the boy and the cat. very cute.
Feb 22, 2010 Jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I love this book! Bright, vivid illustrations - playful, gently surprising. A great little boy book.
Sep 09, 2010 cj rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My 5 yo enjoyed this so much, we had to read it 4 times in a row.
Jun 20, 2011 Bobby rated it liked it
Another book about a truck-obsessed kid. Cute twist with the cat.
Jul 26, 2010 Candida rated it really liked it
I'm reading this one at my next Transportation storytime!
Kirsten Swanson
Feb 15, 2013 Kirsten Swanson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: becauseihavekids
This is great. It's our current favorite from the library.
Mar 20, 2011 Jean-Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book, trucks
A very cute read. Perfect for little ones who love trucks.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »