The Olive Fairy Book

The Olive Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #11)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  610 ratings  ·  18 reviews
29 tales from Turkey, India, Denmark, Armenia, the Sudan, and France. The Green Knight is saved by a soup made from nine snakes, the lovely Dorani flies every night to fairyland, heroes hear animals. Eight Punjabi tales, five from Armenia, 16 others. Flying dragons, ogres, fairies, and princes transformed into white foxes. 50 illustrations.
Published June 1st 1968 by Dover Publications (first published 1907)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
486th out of 1,460 books — 6,368 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBlack Beauty by Anna SewellOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
BOOKS WITH 'COLORFUL' TITLES
283rd out of 441 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Shauna
Sadly, this collection ran more in the way of The Billy Goat And The King, in which the happy ending comes in the form of a wise old goat teaching the King to better control his wife by threatening to beat the poor woman. I'm afraid neither women or men come out of the grand majority of these stories at all well.
There are a scant few tales in The Olive Fairy Book that I truly enjoyed, but they earn those three stars.
Abigail Rasmussen
These traditional fairy tale stories are rich in character building qualities. The sun may shine purple and zebras may be blue and green polka dots but however fantastical the imagined world may be the stories retain a faithfulness to the moral order of the actual universe. The characters in the metaphors are not just random figments of a fancy imagination but rather reflections of our own invisible world, the supernatural.

The audio book version of "The Olive Fairy Book" is now complete and has...more
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
'My son,’
‘what is the matter?’

‘Nothing, father,’
‘but I have determined to go into the world and seek my fortune.’

‘Be advised,’
‘and remain in your father’s house; it is better to have half a loaf at home than to seek a whole one in distant countries.’

But Ram Singh was in no mood to heed such advice, and very soon the old man ceased to press him.

‘Well,’
‘if your mind is made up I suppose you must have your way. But listen carefully, and remember five parting counsels which I will give you; and i...more
Elinor  Loredan
These fairy tales are much longer and more detailed than ones I am used to. While some are rambling and either get jumbled or don't come full circle (The Comb and the Collar, Geirlug the King's Daughter, The Story of Zoulvisia, Punishment of the Fairy Gangana), the rest were, for the most part, lovely in focus, development, and conclusion. Definitely more rewarding than some bare-bones fairy tales. In these, the reader generally gets to spend more time with the characters.
Warren Rochelle
One more color to go--
This one--hmm. Some violent stories, and others that I read in adifferent version, such as "The boy who found fear," and then this story of long patience, "He Wins Who Waits"--with the husband and wife separated for 20 years.
Justin
I sort of regret that in reading these books, I didn't take the time to make special notes of the stories I liked best. The last story in this volume, "The Silent Princess", was a definite favorite. I love it when stories contain other stories.
rae
all of the books in this series are great... fairy tales, fairy tales, fairy tales... absurd and wonderful and oddly familiar...

uh, this is a 5-star book, but my stars aren't working right now.
Jenn
Another fantastic fairy book. Fabulous illustrations as usual. 300 pages later and I still love reading each fairy tale!
Kjerstin
There were so many cool sotries in this book. It was cool to see where some of the childrens stories came from.
Melissa Bee
I love the Andrew Lang "color" fairy tale books..... Finding them in ebook format has been wonderful.
Becca
I'm enjoying this collection. I've read both this and the Blue Fairy Book. I want to read the others, too.
Kaila
Stories are great and I wish I could own the whole set. I love the colors of the books to.
Kristina
I love fairy tales, and this series has so many good ones compiled together
Hank
These volumes helped to shape my dreams that I had of being a knight-hero :D
Tortla
I read approximately half of these stories...goodtimes.
Suzanne
The Indian stories are particularly well-written.
Leli
Almost entirely Middle Eastern and Indian tales
Nan Silvernail
More lovely old fairy tales.
Cordia
Cordia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
SIMON HUMPHRIES
SIMON HUMPHRIES marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
D
D marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Summer Oliver
Summer Oliver marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Amandarose
Amandarose marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
  • Indian Fairy Tales
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Shadow Castle
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • The Interpretation of Fairy Tales
  • The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm
  • The Heroes, or, Greek Fairy Tales for My Children
  • The Serpent Slayer
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • East of the Sun and West of the Moon: Old Tales from the North
  • The Victorian Fairy Tale Book (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.
The Andrew Lang Lectures at St. Andrews University are named for him. He also rewrote the famous The 12 Dancing Princesses, originally done by the Grimm Brothers. Andrew Lang did the French version.
More about Andrew Lang...
The Blue Fairy Book The Red Fairy Book The Green Fairy Book The Yellow Fairy Book The Pink Fairy Book