Start by marking “The Olive Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Olive Fairy Book

The Olive Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #11)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  676 ratings  ·  19 reviews
29 tales from Turkey, India, Denmark, Armenia, the Sudan, and France. The Green Knight is saved by a soup made from nine snakes, the lovely Dorani flies every night to fairyland, heroes hear animals. Eight Punjabi tales, five from Armenia, 16 others. Flying dragons, ogres, fairies, and princes transformed into white foxes. 50 illustrations.
Published June 1st 1968 by Dover Publications (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about The Olive Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Olive Fairy Book

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
491st out of 1,484 books — 6,593 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBlack Beauty by Anna SewellOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
BOOKS WITH 'COLORFUL' TITLES
302nd out of 455 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Shauna
Sadly, this collection ran more in the way of The Billy Goat And The King, in which the happy ending comes in the form of a wise old goat teaching the King to better control his wife by threatening to beat the poor woman. I'm afraid neither women or men come out of the grand majority of these stories at all well.
There are a scant few tales in The Olive Fairy Book that I truly enjoyed, but they earn those three stars.
Abigail Rasmussen
These traditional fairy tale stories are rich in character building qualities. The sun may shine purple and zebras may be blue and green polka dots but however fantastical the imagined world may be the stories retain a faithfulness to the moral order of the actual universe. The characters in the metaphors are not just random figments of a fancy imagination but rather reflections of our own invisible world, the supernatural.

The audio book version of "The Olive Fairy Book" is now complete and has
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
'My son,’
‘what is the matter?’

‘Nothing, father,’
‘but I have determined to go into the world and seek my fortune.’

‘Be advised,’
‘and remain in your father’s house; it is better to have half a loaf at home than to seek a whole one in distant countries.’

But Ram Singh was in no mood to heed such advice, and very soon the old man ceased to press him.

‘Well,’
‘if your mind is made up I suppose you must have your way. But listen carefully, and remember five parting counsels which I will give you; and i
Elinor  Loredan
These fairy tales are much longer and more detailed than ones I am used to. While some are rambling and either get jumbled or don't come full circle (The Comb and the Collar, Geirlug the King's Daughter, The Story of Zoulvisia, Punishment of the Fairy Gangana), the rest were, for the most part, lovely in focus, development, and conclusion. Definitely more rewarding than some bare-bones fairy tales. In these, the reader generally gets to spend more time with the characters.
Warren Rochelle
One more color to go--
This one--hmm. Some violent stories, and others that I read in adifferent version, such as "The boy who found fear," and then this story of long patience, "He Wins Who Waits"--with the husband and wife separated for 20 years.
Justin
I sort of regret that in reading these books, I didn't take the time to make special notes of the stories I liked best. The last story in this volume, "The Silent Princess", was a definite favorite. I love it when stories contain other stories.
Nora Peevy
A wonderful collection of tales from around the world with beautiful illustrations. This book can be enjoyed by children and adults alike and is a good addition to anyone's collection of fairy tales.
rae
all of the books in this series are great... fairy tales, fairy tales, fairy tales... absurd and wonderful and oddly familiar...

uh, this is a 5-star book, but my stars aren't working right now.
Jenn
Another fantastic fairy book. Fabulous illustrations as usual. 300 pages later and I still love reading each fairy tale!
Kjerstin
There were so many cool sotries in this book. It was cool to see where some of the childrens stories came from.
Melissa Bee
I love the Andrew Lang "color" fairy tale books..... Finding them in ebook format has been wonderful.
Becca
I'm enjoying this collection. I've read both this and the Blue Fairy Book. I want to read the others, too.
Kaila
Stories are great and I wish I could own the whole set. I love the colors of the books to.
Kristina
I love fairy tales, and this series has so many good ones compiled together
Hank
These volumes helped to shape my dreams that I had of being a knight-hero :D
Tortla
I read approximately half of these stories...goodtimes.
Suzanne
The Indian stories are particularly well-written.
Leli
Almost entirely Middle Eastern and Indian tales
Nan Silvernail
More lovely old fairy tales.
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Jk
Jk is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Canan Dalli
Canan Dalli marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Preston Fordstrom
Preston Fordstrom marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
  • Victorian Fairy Tales: The Revolt of the Fairies and Elves
  • Indian Fairy Tales
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • Shadow Castle
  • Black Swan, White Raven
  • The Serpent Slayer
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Interpretation of Fairy Tales
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.
The Andrew Lang Lectures at St. Andrews University are named for him. He also rewrote the famous The 12 Dancing Princesses, originally done by the Grimm Brothers. Andrew Lang did the French version.
More about Andrew Lang...
The Blue Fairy Book The Red Fairy Book The Green Fairy Book The Yellow Fairy Book The Pink Fairy Book