Elvis: My Best Man: Radio Days, Rock 'n' Roll Nights, and My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When George Klein was an eighth grader at Humes High, he couldn’t have known how important the new kid with the guitar—the boy named Elvis—would later become in his life. But from the first time GK (as he was nicknamed by Elvis) heard this kid sing, he knew that Elvis Presley was someone extraordinary. During Elvis’s rise to fame and throughout the wild swirl of his remark...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Elvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvis

Mitch McCracken
There have been many books written about the King of Rock and Roll before and after his death. I have yet to find one that not only talks about what he did but what he was like when the spotlight is turned off. What George Klein shows us isn't a tale of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll like other books about Elvis. Klein holds off on all of that, preferring to paint a picture of Presley the man. The Elvis he knew we get to see for the first time.

Klein admits in the author’s note that right after Elv...more
Keith Caserta
Jan 11, 2012 Keith Caserta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Elvis and/or the early days of rock-n-roll
This is an outstanding book! It captures the joys, challenges, humor, disappointments, commitments, and pathos associated with a life-long friendship with one of the giant personalities of the 20th century. George Klein was there from the beginning. He gives a balanced, insightful, "insiders" view of the real, human Elvis and the friends and acquaintances who surrounded him. In a completely enjoyable narrative, he pulls the reader into the birth pangs of rock `n roll, the society that surrounded...more
Jerry
Well Done, I learned of GK from his satellite radio show. and if you are an Elvis fan. This is a must read written by a high school friend, that remained a friend to Elvis till his death.
Nicole
Extremely well written by a very articulate man. He is very respectful in his writings. I would say this is the BEST book I've read on Elvis -and I have read a few.
Dale Stonehouse
There are a certain few mega-celebrities about which my reading habits seem to have no limit. Elvis is one of them, and this memoir by one of his more level-headed acolytes does not disappoint. Klein met Elvis when the latter enrolled in junior high school in Memphis, becoming one of his oldest and dearest friends. As expected, he does not dwell on the King's imperfections, and has many stories to illustrate what made Elvis such a dear human being to so many. In addition he details his own journ...more
Tony Braca
George Klein shares with us little of what we dont know yet the fact that this book came out in 2010 a mere 33 years after Elvis's passing; states that this is not a commercial attempt but an honest account of his relationship with the king. Moreover, George's story doesnt blame anyone but Elvis for his own fall. Unlike, the Jackson clan who are looking for scapegoats i.e Conrad Murray etc..; Klein admits that not all the people in Elvis's life were good for him but that noone (except the colone...more
Diane
Excellent book. My husband and I spent some time in Memphis last Fall and visited Graceland for the first time. As I read the book, i could picture many of the places the author described. The stories were interesting, heartfelt and balanced. I admire Elvis and all he accomplished. Of course not everything he did was admirable, he was human like the rest of us. I liked that the author did not ignore the less than stellar parts of Elvis' life. But they were portrayed in a manner that you would wi...more
kathy
I have read a number of books on Elvis. This book was just ok for me. It really doesn't tell us many stories that we have not read elsewhere, and glosses over a lot of things about Elvis that were not so flattering. I appriciate the effort that George Klein made here in telling his Elvis story, although I have enjoyed other books by Elvis' Memphis Mafia a lot more.
Michael
This is probably one of the best written books by an Elvis Presley insider/friend that I have read in a while. George Klein share wonderful stories not only of Elvis but also of the many celebrities he met through his own career as a radio DJ and host of a popular Memphis show that was based on American Bandstand.
Frances
I would recommend this book to any Elvis fan. Nothing in it I didn't already know.
Once again tons of hanger on people who were afraid to tell him the truth. Sometimes
being a good friend means to stop the gravy train and tell the truth to Elvis no matter
how much it hurts.
Donna
Not the best writing but so heartfelt and GK has such a deep respect and love for his friend Elvis. I listen to his Elvis show every Friday afternoon on satellite radio and love the stories. This book has many. love the King even more.
Ramona
A heart-felt memoir and tribute to The King, filled with anecdotes that reveal the true nature of this complicated but loyal, generous, and loving man. After all these years, it still warms my heart to read about my life-long idol.
Javier
This isn't an Elvis biography. It sure tells some interesting stories that defined Elvis' life. Still, from George Klein's perspective, Elvis is still an enigma. "GK" is Elvis' sidekick and he's damn proud of it.
Jerry Masters
I'm still reading it. One thing that I have learned so far is that my good friend George Klein is an even nicer guy that I thought. He's the tops. Everyone should have a friend like GK.
Tracey Renzi
A must read for any Elvis fan. George Klein provides great insight into his relationship with
Elvis while maintaining respect for the memory of Elvis.
Ted
Dec 29, 2010 Ted rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ted by: Half-Price Books
I was almost persuaded by the author to become an Elvis fan.
JoDee
Very Interesting! No surprises but a warm dip in the nostalgia pool.
Mariepizzarelli
Mariepizzarelli marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Diana Moyle
Diana Moyle marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Travis Albertson
Travis Albertson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Becky Scarbary
Becky Scarbary marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Go to Hell: A Heated History of the Underworld Teen Spirit: The Stories Behind Every NIRVana Song Moonlight Drive Elvis: My Best Man Strange Days - The Stories Behind Every Doors' Song