Start by marking “When I Came West” as Want to Read:
When I Came West

When I Came West

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
As a young college student in the early 1970s, Laurie Wagner had never camped out, never gone hiking, and never lived without electricity or indoor plumbing. Yet she walked away from these comforts and headed for the wildest reaches of Montana to live with a man she had not met in person.When I Came West is Laurie Wagner Buyer’s account of her terrifying and exhilarating y ...more
Published February 26th 2010 by University of Oklahoma Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about When I Came West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Came West

L
Oct 27, 2015 L rated it really liked it
From the Publisher: "As a young college student in the early 1970s, Laurie Wagner had never camped out, never gone hiking, and never lived without electricity or indoor plumbing. Yet she walked away from these comforts and headed for the wildest reaches of Montana to live with a man she had not met in person.When I Came West is Laurie Wagner Buyer’s account of her terrifying and exhilarating years in Montana as she changes from a girl too squeamish to touch a dead mouse to a toughened frontiersw ...more
Annie
Feb 23, 2010 Annie rated it really liked it
I found the author's honesty addictive. Laurie's writing style is very tactile thanks to her detailed descriptions. This was a really quick read for me and enjoyable, if not heart-wrenching and tear-jerking at times. I found the first chapter and some senses of time misplaced or lacking. I finished it wanting to know more about her personal philosophies on the other side of what she went through with the mountain man. Did she regret it? Well worth reading. An intriguing experience to relive.
Shelly Immel
Sep 01, 2014 Shelly Immel rated it it was amazing
When I Came West is eye opening about the rigors of truly self-sufficient living in the mountains of Montana. It also shows why a college-educated woman with almost no prior exposure to the wild would travel across the country to learn this punishing way of life, and choose that life again and again. Reading the book, you learn the strengths and fault-lines of the young woman and the man she joined almost as a mail-order bride, and how he taught her to survive brutal winters and life without ele ...more
Annie Laurie (WI)
Aug 17, 2010 Annie Laurie (WI) rated it really liked it
Shelves: western-spaces
Shadoh
Aug 01, 2014 Shadoh rated it really liked it
twist on the typical pioneer story, takes place in the 70's. written in 2010, memories of loving a mad man.
Rebecca
Jul 15, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
This book is not about the west or homesteading or any of that. It's about the rampant sexism that requires a woman to put up with unbelievable emotional abuse in order to live the lifestyle she desperately wants.
Kama
May 13, 2011 Kama rated it liked it
I am not a fan of an author taking a collection of essays and lazily turning them into a book, but that being said, the subject matter was still very interesting, if a little gruesome at times. But I appreciate Laurie Wagner Buyer not holding back and depicting her life in the wilderness in loving, honest detail.
Kjes
Jun 03, 2010 Kjes rated it liked it
young woman longing for a back-to-the-earth life moves in with a virtual stranger, a vietnam vet, who emotionally abuses her for years and years, and she learns self subsistence. makes you sick to read of all that she put up with and wouldn't tear herself away from.
Sonya
Mar 31, 2010 Sonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, best-of-2010
A must-read for people interested in the idea of living in the thrall of nature. A perfect tie-in to Laurie's other memoir, Spring's Edge, as well as much of her poetry. Lovely, sad, ultimately uplifting.
Diana
Dec 20, 2010 Diana rated it really liked it
I like reading books about things I don't think I'd ever try--- moving to middle-of-nowhere Montana for instance.
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2016
Laurie Simmons
Laurie Simmons rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Faye
Faye rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Liralen
Liralen marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Kenzie Hopkins
Kenzie Hopkins rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Jene' Jackson
Jene' Jackson marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 01, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Don Johanesen
Don Johanesen rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Nicholle
Nicholle marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Aug 23, 2013
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013