Start by marking “The Library Gingerbread Man” as Want to Read:
The Library Gingerbread Man

The Library Gingerbread Man

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  285 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
The Gingerbread Man ran into a crowd at 920, the biography section. Abraham Lincoln, Harriet Tubman, and Amelia Earhart tried to stop him. "Stop! Stop, Gingerbread Man! You're a long way from home."

The Gingerbread Man sped around them. "Run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man! I ran away from the librarian, a Word Wizard, a giraffe, a robo
Published January 1st 2010 by Upstart Books

To ask other readers questions about The Library Gingerbread Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Library Gingerbread Man

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
42nd out of 114 books — 143 voters
Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisOtto the Book Bear by Katie CleminsonThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Midnight Library by Kazuno Kohara
Children's Books about Libraries
41st out of 102 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 08, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The gingerbread man lives at 398.2. He escapes his book and races along the shelves past many other book characters. But what will happen when he reaches the last shelf?

I saw this book on my Goodreads feed – and I thank whoever it was that read it and put it on my radar! What a wonderful introduction to the Dewey Decimal Classifications. This is quite a fun story and would be a great read-aloud. After all, “It is particularly hard to outsmart a librarian.”
Caryn
Feb 17, 2010 Caryn rated it really liked it
I especially liked the part where the gingerbread man is captured by the librarian - "It is particularly hard to outsmart a librarian." :)
Mary
Dec 31, 2011 Mary rated it did not like it
The idea of the book is good--to use a story to teach children about the different sections of the library. But, the text and the pictures had some qualities that did not ring true with the public library I use. In this book, titles of books written on the spines of the books are written from bottom to top on most of the books, whereas in my library, they are written from top to bottom, including on the spine of The Library Gingerbread Man . Many of the titles that are on the shelves in the pic ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Dotti Enderle has taken the traditional story of the Gingerbread Man and set it in the library. The naughty Gingerbread Man escapes from his book and is chased around the library by a number of characters who pop out of their books. This is a clever story to introduce kids to the idea that the library has an organization, and that the numbers stand for different subjects. The one thing that would have made this book perfect would have been a page at the end outlining the Dewey Decimal System. As ...more
Megan Cureton
The Gingerbread Man, always had his place on the shelf in the library. But one day, he decided to leap from the book and that is when the famous line was made. "Run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!" Which you could incorporate music here by singing this part and making up dance movements or hand movements. The Gingerbread Man goes on to run past many shelves, including a Word Wizard, a giraffe, a robot, a paper bird, and plenty more. After passing all of the ...more
Michelle McBeth
Oct 12, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
This story is about the Gingerbread Man who lives at 398.2 in the library. But he decides one day to run away. He runs through the aisles of the library encountering different characters in different sections of the library.

This book would be perfect for reading with a child while sitting at the library. It is a fast paced and interesting story that includes characters from different parts of the library such as a robot from 629.892. I think every school librarian should own a copy of this book.
Laurie
Feb 05, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Samantha  DuPree
One day the librarian was putting a book away on the shelf, when out leapt the Gingerbread Man. The librarian yells at him to stop but he runs away, shouting, “you can’t catch me, I’m the Gingerbread Man!” The Gingerbread Man passes by the thesaurus at 423.1, the giraffe at 599.638, and even the robot at 629.892. All along the way they yell at him to stop and he taunts them with his catchphrase. He also passes an origami bird, the joke books, the biography section, and more. Finally a fox jumps ...more
Traci Bold
May 17, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
A clever take on the old story 'THE GINGERBREAD MAN' to have him run amuck in the library and going through the non-fiction sections to get away.

This book should send out the 'what-ifs' about what books await in each section pointed out in the story.

Written by Dotti Enderle, illustrated by Colleen M. Madden and published by Upstart Books, Janesville, WI.
#PB #fairytale #imagination #library
Dec 10, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-read-aloud
This was the perfect book to help my 3rd and 4th graders "get" the Dewey decimal system. I had a book ready from each call number mentioned and held it up as it appeared in the story. The students were amazed that our books matched the books from the story. It was very effective in helping them understand that this system truly is used in other libraries around the world.
Kaitlin Moriarty
Dec 10, 2014 Kaitlin Moriarty rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun! This book would be considered a modern fable/fantasy book.It is a twist on a classic tale. The illustrations are modern as well and seem to be done in watercolor. It is witty and funny as well. It also goes over the elements of a library which is a great thing to see!
Erin
The Gingerbread Man story is told with the setting of a library. Instead of a baker, the Gingerbread Man runs away from a librarian. Characters from the different books he passes by chase him.

Good for older kid storytimes, okay for preschool storytimes.
Shannon
Apr 30, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
This a good way to explain Dewey to young children. We had a wonderful time shouting "Run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!" during storytime.
Beth
Mar 29, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
I overheard two teenage girls in the library today talking about not having a clue on how to find several books they needed for a children's project they were doing in English class...As an English/Secondary Ed. major and the mother of three little kids I am APPALLED that there are teenagers walking around in the USA who do not know how to navigate through a library. The Library Gingerbread Man will be on my classroom shelves for sure, just as a crash course on where to start for those kids unfo ...more
Colette
Apr 28, 2015 Colette rated it really liked it
Awesome alternate version of the classic Gingerbread Man, set in a library and all of the characters that you would want to see there!
Jenny
Feb 19, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Great story and illustrations. The gingerbread man lives at 398.2 on the library shelf. One day he hops out of his book and begins to run away, shouting the famous lines, "Run, run as fast as you can..." Characters from other books at other locations (such as the thesaurus at 423.1...my favorite since he shouts, "Stop! Cease! Halt! Freeze! Stay!) try to stop him, but it looks as if the gingerbread may escape...until he reaches the end of the shelf and gets help from the arctic fox at 998...Will ...more
Josephine Hawkins
Jan 15, 2015 Josephine Hawkins rated it really liked it
I loved how all the different characters popped out of their respective areas of the Dewey Decimal system.
Jenni Frencham
Jan 30, 2016 Jenni Frencham rated it it was amazing
Any book with the line "It is particularly hard to outsmart a librarian" is a winner in my book.
Jessie
Aug 19, 2014 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Librarians, fans of children's lit
This is a cute story and a fun way to learn a little bit about the library. :)
Jen Ferry
A good book to introduce the Dewey Decimal System to young students.
Lisa
Apr 17, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
More of a review to come later.
Elizabeth S
Jun 05, 2014 Elizabeth S rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-picture, e-short, l-lib
Creative version of the classic story. Also very useful for teaching the Dewey Decimal system.
Mckinley
Set in the library, mostly same storyline.
Stefani
Jun 13, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
I am one of those librarians that can't pass by a fun library-themed book! This is a fun retelling of the Gingerbread Man, who escapes his book (in the 398s) to run around the library. I loved the different animals and people at the different numbers, as this would make a good introduction to Dewey. And the librarian is the hero; gotta love that.

Audience will be limited to library storytimes and avid library-loving kids, but a good addition nonetheless.
Angie
Apr 05, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
My seven-year loves gingerbread man stories. I've volunteered at the elementary school library a lot lately. This was the perfect book for us! I really like the basic introduction to the dewey decimal system. I like how it stayed true to the gingerbread man story with a quirkly twist at the end for a happy ending. Perfect read-aloud book, particularly for librarians.
Luanne Hatcher
Mar 07, 2012 Luanne Hatcher rated it really liked it
As the librarian was shelving "The Gingerbread Man," book back into its 398.2 location, the Gingerbread Man jumped out of the book. He ran to different Dewey Decimal areas in the library until he is outsmarted. This would be a fun book to read with students learning about the Dewey Decimal Classification system.
Amy
Yet another fabulous gingerbread man tale! This one offers readers a glimpse into the Dewey Decimal classification system as the gingerbread boy runs through the library shelves. He encounters different characters, such as a word wizard, robot, and well-known historical figures in the biography section.
Amanda
Jan 02, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
Surprisingly not horrible! The illustrations were mostly accurate in terms of the books in the different section of the library, although some did make me wonder. I'll be interested to see how the kids respond to it; so many of our classes study the Gingerbread Man story, I think they'll like it.
Kendall
Dec 18, 2011 Kendall rated it really liked it
A must-have for librarians; especially around the holidays! I read this in the non-fiction area to my fourth graders, who were amazed and decided that it was magic...all the books in our collection coincided with the numbers in the book! Wow...Dewey as a magical thing...it was such a fun lesson!
Mandy
Sep 12, 2011 Mandy rated it it was amazing
The Gingerbread Man jumped out of his book on shelf 398.2 and ran and ran. Pretty soon he was chased around by the library characters from other books found in different addresses from the nonfiction section.

This is a good book that without a doubt should be paired with a library Dewey lesson!
  • The Shelf Elf
  • Stella Louella's Runaway Book
  • The Boy & the Book: [a wordless story]
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • Richard Wright and the Library Card
I'm the author of literally (get it) dozens of books for children.

Born in Killeen, Texas on a cold January day in 1954. My family moved around a lot, allowing me to, over the years, live on a farm, in an historic home and always near rivers or bayous. My playthings were hula-hoops, old typewriters and a wooden leg named Charlie. (Yep, you read that right.) If you want a true glimpse of my childhoo
More about Dotti Enderle...