Start by marking “The Silk Vendetta” as Want to Read:
The Silk Vendetta

The Silk Vendetta

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,914 ratings  ·  39 reviews
"It is quite possible that [this] is her most thrilling and compelling novel to date."
As long as she can remember, the exquisite Lenore Cleremont has lived at The Silk House, the luxurious English country estate of the wealthy Sallonger family. Neither a slave nor a servant, she has grown into a young woman who has shown promise as a dress designer. But she has
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Silk Vendetta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silk Vendetta

Returning this one to the Holt stockpile. I'm not sure if it's actually a meh read or if I've got fussy book crankies -- but Vicky has always entertained me in the past, so I'm inclined to think it's my end.

We shall meet again, Silk Vendetta.
This book is all about guessing who the hero is. Is it:

Candidate A
pro: he's a nice guy and he actually marries the heroine
con: he actually marries the heroine early on, he's dead meat (or a fruit fly, see earlier VH reviews for the life expectancy thereof)

Candidate B
pro: he's a nice guy and he rescues the heroine from her villainous cousin when she's young
con: he marries villainous cousin's sister, he's a politician

Candidate C
pro: he's mysterious and French
con: I got nothing

I enjoyed this stor
Victoria Holt is a great writer. Her books have a bit of mystery and a bit of romance all wrapped up in a historical setting. What I love about her is that she is clean! There are no graphic love scenes in her books, just a good mystery with a touch of old fashioned romance.

If you like historical romance novels, but hate the nasty love scenes in some of them then you will love Victoria Holt's books.
Victoria Holt has such an interesting writing style, very unique. Because the stories are never quite like one expects, I always enjoy her books. This book is a perfect example. It is written first person, from the heroine's point of view, which adds an intimacy with the reader (again, a precarious choice and one that must be done well to succeed). It is a wonderful combination of romance and mystery and even though the villain is quite obvious from the beginning, there are many surprises along ...more
Anne Sexton
I liked it but the romantic part of it was a little disappointing. The book as a whole was pretty detailed but in a mundane rather than exciting way much of the time. The story was good though.

On the whole, I think the VH novels are under-written at the end - there is not a totally satisfactory payoff, to me. Too many things happen in too few pages at the end - things happens too fast and in particular the romance part is too perfunctory - there are 2 paragraphs where I would like several pages.
This was my first experience reading Victoria Holt. Growing up, I somehow got the impression that her novels fell into the category of "trashy romance"-- but then I saw her listed with other "gothic romance" authors I enjoy, so it seemed worth a try. My verdict, based on this one book, is that it's definitely not "trashy" romance. Most of the time, innuendo is as far as things go. There's one scene that may shock some readers-- but in general, very little happens "on screen".

That said, I wasn't
Trina Chaudhuri
A strong romanctic plot throughout. Although one might know what waits at the end, the end will undoubtedly surprise. The love plot entwines, confuses and then shocks. Beautiful! But the plot of all Holt's books sound similar.
first book that i ever read by victoria holt and let me tell you its got me hooked majorly
My rating: 3.5/5

One of Holt's better books.

I really enjoyed learning more about the silk trade. The author is known for her attention to historical detail and is well-researched.

The story revolves around Lenore Cleremont, who grows up knowing only that she is an orphan. She lives at The Silk House, an English country estate owned by the wealthy Sallonger family, owners of a vast silk trade. Raised by her Grand'mere, the family's in-house designer of luxurious gowns in the attic rooms of the ma
I was referred to Victoria Holt by a relative who said they were "clean romance books." Well, I read three of her books before this one, "Kirkland Revels," "The Captive," and "Pride of the Peacock," and while I wouldn't call them great literature, they were enjoyable reads. However, I was sorely disappointed in "The Silk Vendetta," because not only was it very dull, but there was an uncomfortable scene where a promiscuous character sexually harasses the heroine. Of course I understand that the a ...more
Al principio no me terminaba de convencer pero despues me comenzo a gustar, me encanto que Lenore y su abuela se independizaron e instalaron en Londres, pusieron una casa de modas, su propia negocio. Luego aparecio el padre de Lenore y la comenzo a apoyar, la llevo a Francia a conocer sus viñedos. Ya despues de leer varios libros de la Holt comienza una a ver de antemano por donde va la cosa, la venganza me resulto clara pero una lastima que se hayan equivocado, en lo que no acerte fue en la ele ...more
Dull as dishwater. Yet not dull enough for me to stop reading, which is a mystery in itself. The plot is.....weird. Through most of the book, you forget that there is even a plot. But at the end the mystery is solved, while you're going like "oh yeeeah, there was a mystery, I remember now!!". Most of the characters are boring creatures with boring lives. The only exception is the Comte, who only makes an appearance at the very end. I didn't dislike this book but I didn't particularly like it eit ...more
I have read this book many times now and I'll probably read it again soon ^^

It is sweet, romantic with a touch of tragedy and drama. The main character Leonore starts out as a child without a place called home. She lives in the Silk House, but has no place amongst the people living there. During the book she transforms into a strong woman following her dreams though some do not wish her to be happy.

It is written is an easily understandable way and has all the unexpected twists and turns one asso
Read in the early 90's.
Sep 13, 2008 Zabel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
Victoria has a talent for telling stories through her characters and as interesting as those stories are I am finding in my advanced years that the outcome if generally predictable. I found myself rather disappointed with this novel for that reason as much as I was interested to see what would happen next.
We'll see how predictable Shadow of the Lynx turns out to be. The other thing I like about her "romance" is that it's nothing like Harlequin novels. Much more tasteful.
Feb 01, 2008 Katie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Jodi Brown
These book are classified as romantic mystries. I think they are just sad stories. They are easy to read and you want to know how it ends, but I would not classify them as "romantic" anything. My romantic story once upon a time, they meet, fall in love, have a big fight, get back together and live happily ever after. This book and the other I read make me kind of sad, for that reason I dont know if I'll read any more.
My Mother suggested Victoria Holt to me and this is the one I found at the library, I have to say I was a little apprehensive about it at first , but it has turned out to be a really exciting mystery, I love books that keep me guessing the whole time . She did a really good job at making you really hate the villains in the book. It was a great read!
This book belonged to my mother who was a big fan of Victoria Holt. Although the writing seemed stilted, I did learn about the silk industry which was interesting. The main character, Lenore, is a strong woman who perseveres through life's atrocities that are thrown her way. All in all, a fine romance.
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
This is the third book I have read by this author. The author writes a clean romance book with elements of mystery. This and the last book were both too contrived. The first one I read The Pride of the Peacock would be the only one I would recommend of the three.
I read all of Victoria Holt mystery/romance books in my 30s. Holt books are a higher caliber of romance fiction than something like Harlequins. Historically accurate. Good recreational reading with something to keep you turning pages.
Victoria Holt wrote these cheesy historical romances. I don't read romance novels now but I did when I was younger and I loved all of hers. Just because they always take you a different time and place.. A good escape from reality...
Great story of triumph through trials. I enjoy a nicely wrapped, clean and pleasant ending and I didn't find that this one ended like I wanted it to. But, the story was well written and truly liked the main characters.
Farshana Sihab
Was a clean romance story with no embellishments whatsoever. The pace of the story was too slow felt it was dragging in most places. The mystery element ended too soon and the ending could have had couple of pages more!
Wow...this is definitely not the type of book I typically read but I am very impressed. While the story line is really quite tragic, it is also complex and captivating. Good read.
I always enjoy Victoria Holt. This was the first I listened to. I remembered the story as I listened but enjoyable non-the-less.
I liked it because it was clean and still told a good story. And it was romantic with out being dirty.
I've read this when I was second year highschool... and since then I can never forget the story!
The classic French aristocrat hero of Holt's

Re-read again from Open Library
First person yet the reader doesn't really get a window into the narrator's emotions.
  • Columbella
  • The Return of the Gypsy (Daughters of England, #12)

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...