Captain Long Ears

Captain Long Ears

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Eight-year-old Michael embarks on an exciting adventure in a theme park with his imaginary friend, a purple gorilla named Jam, all in search of Captain Big Nose, Michael's dead father. The two self-styled "space ninjas" are thrown off track when they decide to save the park's elephant, who is being abused by his keepers.
Published October 15th 2010 by SLG Publishing (first published 2010)

Arminzerella
Raina
In a lot of ways, this feels like a combo-party of I Kill Giants and Axe Cop. There's a little boy dealing with a trauma through some seriously wacky fantasy adventures. Toss in a sensibility and style that doesn't feel entirely amerikan.

It's a bit less subtle than I Kill Giants. It's a bit less wacky than Axe Cop, but that's pretty much the deal. There's an "ass" or two, and some piles of poop, and other things that told me why it's classified YA. I think this could appeal to the Captain Under...more
Christiane
This is the saddest book I've read in a long time, about a very imaginative (or very disturbed, depending on your point of view) eight-year-old boy grieving the loss of his father. There are vivid, wonderful fantasy sequences that almost make you forget he doesn't actually have a giant purple gorilla friend hanging out with him, but is lost and alone. This is another one of those books where I just want to grab the mother and shake her since she has so obviously failed her child. If all this isn...more
P.M. Bradshaw
An eight-year old puts on his ‘Captain Long Ears’ costume and heads off on an adventure with his imaginary friend, Captain Jam, a purple gorilla.

Underneath the child-like, space and pirate exploits lies many layers, including the story of animal abuse and the true meaning behind the boys’ search for ‘Captain Big Nose.’

The art work for the boy is reminiscent of the boy in Maurice Sendak’s Where the Wild Things Are, but the story is all its own.

This may very well be the most compelling children...more
Kim
Graphic novel about a little boy/space ninja and his trusty partner/stuffed sock monkey and their quest to find and rescue Captain Long Nose. It's also a story about how a small boy grieves for his father. Sad, beautiful.

Parental warning: the word ass figures prominently.
Cana
Parental advisory: contains the word a** in a number of places.

Mommy says: as long as the above does not bother you, this graphic novel is a wonderful tale of how a child uses his imagination to deal with the grief of losing his father.
Peacegal
3.5 stars - What a neat book. There is a wonderful sense of magic and emotion in this graphic novel, as well as a genuine message about animal rights. I liked it.
Max
sad but very creative and fun. Being a new father, it did make me think about my son and what he would go through if I disappeared during his youth.
Jamil
Maybe not as great as its influences(Tekkon Kinkreet, Calvin & Hobbes) but a worthwhile kid's comic nevertheless.
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Kristan
Kristan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Emilia P
Emilia P marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
lillian chan
lillian chan marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Heather jameyson
Heather jameyson marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Scout130b
Scout130b marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2012
Leigh
Leigh added it
Apr 11, 2012
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2011
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2011