Start by marking “Captain Long Ears” as Want to Read:
Captain Long Ears

Captain Long Ears

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Eight-year-old Michael embarks on an exciting adventure in a theme park with his imaginary friend, a purple gorilla named Jam, all in search of Captain Big Nose, Michael's dead father. The two self-styled "space ninjas" are thrown off track when they decide to save the park's elephant, who is being abused by his keepers.
Published October 15th 2010 by SLG Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Long Ears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Long Ears

Miriam
Jun 25, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic

After that it's pretty sad.

*Spoiler: not actually about space ninjas.
Arminzerella
Raina
Aug 31, 2011 Raina rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, graphicnovel
In a lot of ways, this feels like a combo-party of I Kill Giants and Axe Cop. There's a little boy dealing with a trauma through some seriously wacky fantasy adventures. Toss in a sensibility and style that doesn't feel entirely amerikan.

It's a bit less subtle than I Kill Giants. It's a bit less wacky than Axe Cop, but that's pretty much the deal. There's an "ass" or two, and some piles of poop, and other things that told me why it's classified YA. I think this could appeal to the Captain Under
Christiane
Mar 01, 2011 Christiane rated it really liked it
This is the saddest book I've read in a long time, about a very imaginative (or very disturbed, depending on your point of view) eight-year-old boy grieving the loss of his father. There are vivid, wonderful fantasy sequences that almost make you forget he doesn't actually have a giant purple gorilla friend hanging out with him, but is lost and alone. This is another one of those books where I just want to grab the mother and shake her since she has so obviously failed her child. If all this isn ...more
P.M. Bradshaw
Dec 14, 2011 P.M. Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
An eight-year old puts on his ‘Captain Long Ears’ costume and heads off on an adventure with his imaginary friend, Captain Jam, a purple gorilla.

Underneath the child-like, space and pirate exploits lies many layers, including the story of animal abuse and the true meaning behind the boys’ search for ‘Captain Big Nose.’

The art work for the boy is reminiscent of the boy in Maurice Sendak’s Where the Wild Things Are, but the story is all its own.

This may very well be the most compelling children
Dash M
Dec 05, 2015 Dash M rated it it was amazing
The perfect balance of quirky and bittersweet, with gorgeous art
Laken Scott
Jan 21, 2016 Laken Scott rated it liked it
It was pretty unusual. I wouldn't read it again but I'm not a huge fan of goofy graphic novels. It's made for younger children but not really my style.
Kim
Aug 09, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Graphic novel about a little boy/space ninja and his trusty partner/stuffed sock monkey and their quest to find and rescue Captain Long Nose. It's also a story about how a small boy grieves for his father. Sad, beautiful.

Parental warning: the word ass figures prominently.
Cana
Aug 08, 2011 Cana rated it really liked it
Parental advisory: contains the word a** in a number of places.

Mommy says: as long as the above does not bother you, this graphic novel is a wonderful tale of how a child uses his imagination to deal with the grief of losing his father.
Peacegal
Nov 04, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
3.5 stars - What a neat book. There is a wonderful sense of magic and emotion in this graphic novel, as well as a genuine message about animal rights. I liked it.
Max
Jan 08, 2012 Max rated it it was amazing
sad but very creative and fun. Being a new father, it did make me think about my son and what he would go through if I disappeared during his youth.
Jamil
Jul 15, 2010 Jamil rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, kids-alright
Maybe not as great as its influences(Tekkon Kinkreet, Calvin & Hobbes) but a worthwhile kid's comic nevertheless.
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Robin Goodfellow
Robin Goodfellow rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Jenni Dillon
Jenni Dillon rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Will floyd
Will floyd rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 20, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Jenna
Jenna added it
Oct 16, 2014
Rebecca Shelton
Rebecca Shelton marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Trevor
Trevor rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2014