Start by marking “Gideon (Lauren Reardon #1)” as Want to Read:
Gideon (Lauren Reardon #1)

Gideon (Lauren Reardon #1)

Preston & Child meets Kim Harrison in this edge-of-your-seat debut thriller—a superb blend of mystery, urban fantasy, horror, romance, and the supernatural.

When Lauren’s father dies, she makes a shocking discovery. The man she knew as John Reardon was once a completely different person, with a different name. Now, she’s determined to find out who he really was, even th
Published January 6th 2015 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Gideon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gideon

Matthew
Jan 29, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
I must admit that I approached this book hesitantly. It lay outside of my usual scope of interest, and I hadn't heard anything on the grapevine about Alex Gordon prior to its release. Well, I am glad to say that I took a chance on it. Sometimes a book will surprise you and blow you away. Gideon is one of those books.

A fascinating blend of urban fantasy, horror, history and the supernatural, Gideon tells the tale of Lauren, a women who goes searching for the truth behind her father following his
Shelley
**I received this book for free from Harper Voyager via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* mystery, urban fantasy, horror
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Centered around a fictional town in Illinois called Gideon, Alex Gordon's debut novel is steeped in mystery, witch craft, demons, and darkness. Gideon traverses nearly 200 years and features a group of witches from Eliza Blaylock to Lauren Reardon t
Jon
This was one of my holiday gifts from HarperVoyager as part of their Super Reader program. They send me free books and eARC's in return for honest reviews. I've been doing this for a year now and I'm consistently impressed with the majority of their selections, and this book is no exception.

I didn't bother to read the jacket blurb, so when I started reading I thought I was in for a historical fantasy/romance...not really my thing. Fast forward past the setup and we're now modern day with witchcr
Lauren Stoolfire
Dec 17, 2015 Lauren Stoolfire rated it it was amazing
If you like Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I have a feeling that you will also enjoy Alex Gordon's Gideon.
Beth  (Curling Up With A Good Book)
Some secrets should stay buried...But not this one....

I review for Harper Collins all the time and love all of the books they publish....So when I received this book from an imprint called Harper Voyager then I knew I had to give it a try.... and I am so happy I did. This debut novel called , Gideon, written by Alex Gordon is one of the most intense, suspense-filled, supernatural thriller that I have ever read. Alex Gordon enters into the publishing industry with a BANG.....WOW....Gideon is high
Tonya
Jan 06, 2015 Tonya rated it really liked it
First I have to say I was given a copy of the book by Harper Voyager to review.

This book is fantastic! I mean a really good read. She had me hooked from the beginning all the way to the end. The story is of a fictional town called Gideon, where witches protect the world from demons. Lauren, the main character, knows nothing of her past and is drawn into this after the death of a friend. She learns quickly that she has a huge role to play in this story.

I love the way Gordon writes. She keeps you
Stephanie Medeiros
Oct 17, 2015 Stephanie Medeiros rated it did not like it
I was sent an advance review copy by Harper Voyager for an honest review, and here it is.

I tried, but I just can't. I don't care enough about witchy old biddies passive aggressively fighting about who slept with who, and who runs the town. And their weird, unexplained witchcraft is interesting, but it's never fleshed out enough for it to really make sense, or seem to drive the story. I don't care about the inner politics or drama of their town, I don't care about the evil the unleashed upon them
Joshua Littrell
Jul 11, 2015 Joshua Littrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I was at the library last week getting a couple books in my normal genre's, I look over at the returned books and Gideon was on top. I was waiting in line, so I flipped over and read the back... witches, ding ding ding. So I checked it out thinking I would read a few pages and put it in the pile of books I never finished...

But I read a chapter and another. I was hooked. Alex Gordon is a fantastic writer who really weaves a whole culture together in this book. I tend to stick to a couple genres a
Tracey
Mar 12, 2016 Tracey rated it really liked it
December 20, 1836 began abnormally warm. It was the day murderer Nicholas Blaine was to be judged at the stake. The Council had decided against hanging, saying he should suffer like the innocent girl he so callously killed. Blaine was more than a cold-blooded killer, he was also a wielder of potent magic. Gideon's residents had power of their own; they are children of Endor, adhering to the word of the Lady. Their duty lies in guarding the "thin places" from the demons who seek to cross the ...more
Chad
Jun 17, 2015 Chad rated it it was ok
Gideon starts out strong. I found the author's central conceit -- the existence of a semi-rural Midwestern town, whose residents appear typical in most ways, except for their practice of a sui generis, almost-Christian-like witchcraft, and their central belief that they alone stand between humanity and the encroaching shadow world of demons -- quite compelling.

But things started to go downhill once the story progresses from the nineteenth century to the present day, particularly after witch-in-
Lindsey
May 12, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, fiction
I kept thinking it would get better but it never did. It felt like it just got bogged down by weirdness of the supernatural. This is odd, since I usually enjoy this genre, but all I can say is, it was trying way too hard.

It didn't help that the villain of the story was evil for evil's sake, and completely two dimensional. Bad characters are so much scarier and interesting when there's an angle that readers can relate to, however remotely.
Shari  Mulluane
Source: HarperCollins
Original: Old Bat's Belfry

In the past a mistake was made. An evil was created. An evil that is now stalking Lauren. Secrets, for good or ill, have been kept for generations. Secrets Lauren must now unravel before she too becomes just another victim of an ancient wrong.

The Story. Lauren is a smart, sophisticated young lady just trying to make her way in this world. But when her father dies she discovers that along with his estate, he has left her with a lot of unanswered que
Samantha
Aug 30, 2015 Samantha rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
First things first: I don't understand why any comparison is made to Kim Harrison (one could possibly draw some comparison to Kim Newman's work) in regards to this book. Like... both books were written by a female, and that's about all they have in common. Kim Harrison writes with a bit of zest and wit. There was none of that here. There were, however, nonsensical choices and dramatic melancholy galore.

This book it could have been interesting. It had glimmers of promise. But ugh. You know how in
Dawn
Jun 02, 2016 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

Gideon begins in the early 1800’s when the townspeople of Gideon burn a witch at the stake but he wants to come back…

With the background of Gideon in mind, it is now 2015 and Lauren Reardon’s father has just passed away. She finds out that he changed his name years ago and that it had been Matthew Mullin. Strange things start happening and she feels compelled to go to his hometown, Gideon, to find out more about her father.

At first, the to
Maryann Huber
Jan 12, 2015 Maryann Huber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A good read, I like when I am introduced to a new writer with the first book that they have written. I am glad to have found you Alex Gordon.
Lauren Reardon begins her journey at the end of her fathers, and with this she finds that everything for her leads to Gideon. As you walk the road with Lauren Reardon you, too, will be drawn into a story that will take you places that we like to believe only exist in books or in the tales told at campfires.
Gideon in of itself is a place that sits on the edg
GP
Jan 01, 2015 GP rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: urban fantasy/horror
Recommended to GP by: Harper Collins
You know that deceptive book? One that you didn't really think was going to stick with you, but suddenly, you found yourself completely engrossed? For me, Gideon was that book. The opening was strong, the writing is consistently good throughout, all signs point to a decent read. But boy, was I wrong. It's not that the book wasn't interesting, well paced with a strong female lead-it was. The twists and turns of Gideon raised the level of the book in a way I wasn't expecting. There's the tension ...more
Kelly Roll
Feb 28, 2015 Kelly Roll rated it liked it
The book opens with the burning of a witch and also sets up the background story of the novel. The story then jumps forward to the present and we meet our protagonist Lauren. She's just buried her father and discovers that he isn't who he said he was. She learns where he spent his formative years as a teen and decides to go there after she discovers that a strange man is watching her and also after the death of another witch she has just met. Lauren arrives in Gideon only to have her car ...more
Doseofbella
Feb 15, 2015 Doseofbella rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Gideon
By: Alex Gordon
Published By: Harper Collins Pages. 432
Copy Courtesy of Goodreads First Reads
Reviewed By: tk

Lauren Reardon’s dad pasted from this life two weeks ago from cancer. While going through some of the contents of the house Lauren finds unique items with not a clue to their existence. Why is there dried herbs, and a wired circlet in a secreted corner in the desk? The book in her dads jacket, with notes and drawings must mean something, but what? Stranger yet…who is the man that cont
Irenic
Aug 16, 2015 Irenic rated it it was amazing
Witches are my favorite paranormals, and this novel is one of the best in the genre.
The beginning 10% of the epic story begins in the period between the 1830's to the 1870's in the central Illinois town of Gideon. Gideon is a small town, way off the beaten path, colonized by a handful of families with respective special abilities. I should mention there's a lineage tree in the beginning, which is very helpful in keeping track of who's who.

Fast-forward to modern-day Seattle, WA. Lauren, going thr
Denise
This is a book about a town of witches who are supposed to guard reality from the unholy beings that guard the wilderness, and don't wholly succeed because sometimes people are jerks who crave power more than doing what is right.

This is also a book about a woman who discovers that her family holds a dark secret and goes on a mission to discover the truth about her family, even though it means running straight into danger.

I think Lauren is a very strong character and I enjoyed following along as
Stirling
Dec 31, 2014 Stirling rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any who wish for a spellbinding read.
Recommended to Stirling by: Julie E. Czerneda
Shelves: something-wicked
Debbie
Jan 27, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
ok - the goodreads blub is very stupid - I don't know what Kim Harrison has to do with this story/author in fact if you are a Kim Harrison fan this may not be for you - no offense - she's just not my cup of tea but I liked this story a lot. As for romance I have to say what romance? there was a bit of something toward the end that really didn't ring true and that was ok because it never went anywhere in the story anyway. One thing I liked about this story was that it wasn't a romantic story.

I th
Michelleandderek Nakagawa
Jun 22, 2015 Michelleandderek Nakagawa rated it it was amazing
Gideon is enthralling. It starts with the history of the town, in a way, and the people are banding together (most of them) to put someone to death. It soon enough jumps ahead to the modern day and the continuation of the story. At first, I was worried when the time shifted. I had begun to get into the way past and was building a like/dislike already of some of the townspeople. Never fear though,the story continues to be interesting and a lot of fun.
Part fantasy, part historical this novel tells
I wasn't sure how I'd rate this until the last 100 pages, because the heroine had moments where she verged on being too stupid to live, and the supporting cast refused to believe anything outside their narrow, albeit magical, perspective. But that being said, I loved the background and the way the dark borderland between this world and the next was established. And by the end, I was so absorbed, so taken aback by the twists and turns and courageous choices, that I let go any lingering qualms. ...more
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Mar 06, 2015 Kimberly [Come Hither Books] marked it as to-read-eventually
Notes on the sample:
Alex Gordon writes a strong scene, with vivid descriptions, sharp dialogue, and suspenseful timing. I haven’t even gotten to the modern day section, but the creepy town and dark magic have hooked me. This one definitely stays on my to read list.

Read the rest of the Sample Roundup on Come Hither Books
Kimberly
Jan 12, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I do not think Kim Harrison (although I have read & loved the Hollows series) is an accurate comparison. Gideon was more introspective and suspense driven than the typical paranormal novel. Saving time by avoiding the usual annoying traps of the genre--discussing shoe brands, favorite coffee drinks and excessive sex, this book immersed the reader in a gray, creepy world.
Lauren Bujorian
Feb 14, 2015 Lauren Bujorian rated it it was amazing
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway. It took me a while to get to it just because I had so much on my plate to read, review, and finish. But when I finally picked up this book I was so glad I did. It's different from something I would normally read, the witchcraft and demons was something I usually only enjoyed in television shows but never found truly enrapturing in books. But I sure did enjoy this book! I would highly recommend it!
Ashley Clark
Jan 26, 2015 Ashley Clark rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book. I picked this up at the library and wasn't sure what to expect, but as soon as I cracked the cover, I was hooked. At night when reading, I just kept telling myself, "one more chapter", but then I'd look at the clock and realize I'd been reading for an extra hour! I normally don't read paranormal books, I enjoy science fiction and fantasy novels, but I'm glad I went outside my comfort zone with this book. Definitely would recommend!
Shay
Jan 06, 2015 Shay rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher as part of the Harper Voyager Super Reader program.

The tension that drives the book is as much interpersonal as supernatural making Gideon is a stand-out novel, defined by well-crafted prose, a smart protagonist, and a flawlessly creepy mood.
Janine Grondahl
Oct 19, 2015 Janine Grondahl rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a good combination of thriller and mystery. It was a great break from other genres that I've been reading. I hope that maybe there could be a sequel to this one, but not sure how that would come about, the author did a great job of tying up all the loose ends.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • We are Wormwood
  • Affairs of the Dead (The Reanimation Files #1)
  • The Haunted Girl
  • The Tegen Cave
  • Old Farmer's Road
  • Children of Chaos
  • Lucky's Girl
  • Legends of the Crypt (Molly Maddison #2)
  • The Revenant Express (Newbury and Hobbes, #5)
  • Father of Lies
  • An Unremembered Grave
  • Don't Forget To Breathe
  • The Darkest Tool
  • The Witch's Vampire (Mystery Springs #1)
  • Echoes (Whisper Trilogy Book 2)
  • Angel Manor
  • The Bad
  • Hand of Miriam: A Bayla and the Golem Novel
Alex Gordon, author of the supernatural thriller GIDEON, was born in the Northeast, grew up in the South, and now resides in the Midwest. She is currently working on JERICHO, the follow-up to GIDEON, and is having too much fun doing research. When she isn’t working, she enjoys watching sports and old movies, running, and the company of dogs. She dreams of someday adding the Pacific Northwest to ...more
More about Alex Gordon...

Lauren Reardon (2 books)
  • Jericho (Lauren Reardon #2)