Start by marking “Theodore Roosevelt (The American Presidents, #26)” as Want to Read:
Theodore Roosevelt (The American Presidents, #26)

Theodore Roosevelt (The American Presidents #26)

An intimate portrait of the first president of the 20th century

The warm and knowing biography traces Roosevelt's involvement in the politics of New York City and New York State, his celebrated ,military career, and his ascent to the national political stage. Caricatured through history as the "bull moose", Roosevelt was in fact a man of extraordinary discipline whose refin
Audio, 0 pages
Published August 17th 2002 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Theodore Roosevelt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theodore Roosevelt

Steven Peterson
Aug 08, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
Want to know more about American presidents? The American Presidents series is one approach. This volume in the series focuses on the old Rough Rider himself, Theodore Roosevelt. First, a confession. I have read 2 of the 3 volume set by Edmund Morris. Obviously, I have an interest in depth (the second volume alone features 555 pages of text). But most people would welcome a shorter--but still good--view of TR. And this volume will meet the needs of such people.

Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. has a stan
Robin Friedman
Nov 25, 2016 Robin Friedman rated it really liked it
The Strenuous Life

The short biographies that form the American Presidents series do an admirable job in capturing the heart of the accomplishments and characters of our country's leaders. Some of the volumes succeed further in offering, in addition to an introduction, challenging reassessments of their subject's place in history. Bunting's book on Grant and Diggins's study of John Adams are in this latter category. With a leader as complex and energetic as Theodore Roosevelt, (1858 - 1919), the
James P
Oct 26, 2016 James P rated it it was amazing
Very even handed coverage of the man. Good insights into his character like Bully Pulpit and William H Taft The Presidency by LL Gould
Greg
Jan 08, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume, part of Schlesinger's "The American Presidents" series, ably accomplishes its task. The purpose of these books is to bring fantastic writers (of which Auchincloss certainly is one) before a general reader looking for a survey biography of a particular president. There is little to no original material and few original insights, but that is not the purpose. Auchincloss's goal is a general summary for the casual reader of history who is interested in getting a "quick and dirty" accoun ...more
Shawn Thrasher
Who better to write a biography of a blue blood patrician from old New York than another blue blood patrician from old New York? Auchincloss's short, crisp, clean, clear sketch of Theodore Roosevelt is "bully." I had read plenty of Teddy Rooseveltiana before, so I thought I knew everything there was to know. But I learned some new things, particularly in the latter fourth of the book, about the Republican Party and Roosevelt's relationship to it then (and now!) and the acrimonious relationship b ...more
Bryce Rausch
Jul 22, 2016 Bryce Rausch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This by no means is a "tell all" or the kind of book that you'll read and feel like you understood something deeper about Teddy Roosevelt. So if you're looking for that, keep searching. If you are looking for the TR highlights and lowlights, this it it. After reading, I think a lot of politicians could learn a lot from him: how to follow your moral compass, how to not repeat his mistakes, and how to walk that conservative/progressive line and still win elections.
Joseph McBee
Aug 08, 2011 Joseph McBee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying the Presidents series of books. These are tight biographies, masterfully written that give you an expertly researched snapshot into the lives of the men who have held the highest office in the land.

In particular, I found this volume especially enlightening. TR is one of my favorite historical subjects. I think Auchincloss did an excellent job of capturing both the greatness and the weakness of the man.
Fred Kohn
Mar 07, 2014 Fred Kohn rated it did not like it
After having read several excellent books in this series, I found this one deeply disappointing. It seems the author finds Roosevelt's hunting trips far more important to talk about than his Square Deal. Rather than substance, this slim volume is stuffed with Roosevelt quotes, many of which seemed rather pointless to me. I feel I hardly know any more about TR after having read this book than I did before.
Tim
Jan 09, 2010 Tim rated it liked it
Auchincloss gives a brief introduction to TR and its a fair and favorable one. Willing to ask questions and criticize Roosevelt's behavior, he also puts TR into historical context and is generally positive about Roosevelt's impact. Full of good quotes from TR and those around him, it was a quick and easy listen.
Bev
May 23, 2012 Bev rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This book is a short digest of the president but is worth reading to remember the outstanding characteristics of Roosevelt. Well written (author has written scores of books, many fiction). Sometimes I felt he was trying too hard to entertain by inserting entertaining episodes rather than some that could be more informative. However it is a very good book, worth reading.
A
Nov 11, 2012 A rated it really liked it
It was very impressive how efficiently Auchincloss was able to synthesize such an illustrious career into a mere 130+ pages without feeling as if something was left out. I would suggest this for someone wishing to gain a basic knowledge of an extremely important president
Alicia Joy
Sep 21, 2014 Alicia Joy rated it liked it
I thought this book was written in a style that was easy and fun to read. However, the author writes as if the reader has more knowledge of TR and that era than I think is appropriate. I feel like I lost a good part of history here because of this style.
Curtiss
Sep 15, 2009 Curtiss rated it really liked it
A good, albeit brief, look at the live and career of one of America's most popular and flambouyant presidents.
Pat Carson
This was a bit TR lite to me - I've read other bios or Roosevelt, so I may have been spoiled for this one. It would give you a glimpse of the man behind Mt. Rushmore.
Adrian
Adrian rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Karen Themann
Karen Themann rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Robert A.
Robert A. rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Luis
Luis rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Hosea
Hosea rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Michael Locklear
Michael Locklear rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Jww
Jww rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Marissa Ovick
Marissa Ovick rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
William Neal
William Neal rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Lor
Lor rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Woodrow Wilson (The American Presidents, #28)
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower (The American Presidents, #34)
  • Calvin Coolidge (The American Presidents, #30)
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • James A. Garfield (The American Presidents, #20)
  • William McKinley (The American Presidents, #25)
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • James Monroe
  • James K. Polk (The American Presidents, #11)
  • John Quincy Adams
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt (The American Presidents, #32)
  • Benjamin Harrison (The American Presidents, #23)
  • Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)
  • Gerald R. Ford (The American Presidents, #38)
  • Richard M. Nixon (The American Presidents, #37)
  • John Adams
  • Warren G. Harding (The American Presidents, #29)
Louis Stanton Auchincloss was an American novelist, historian, and essayist.

Among Auchincloss's best-known books are the multi-generational sagas The House of Five Talents, Portrait in Brownstone, and East Side Story. Other well-known novels include The Rector of Justin, the tale of a renowned headmaster of a school like Groton trying to deal with changing times, and The Embezzler, a look at white
More about Louis Auchincloss...

The American Presidents (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • George Washington
  • John Adams
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • James Madison
  • James Monroe
  • John Quincy Adams
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Martin Van Buren
  • William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents, #9)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)