Triss

Triss (Redwall #15)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  7,491 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Enslaved by the evil ferret King Agarnu of Riftgard, and his cruel daughter, Kurda, the brave squirrelmaid Triss plans a daring escape by sea. At the same time, far away in Salamandastron, three young companions sail away from their mountain home too, but for a very different reason -- they are seeking adventure.

Meanwhile, in Mossflower Woods, a pair of wandering Dibbuns a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 383 pages
Published August 26th 2003 by Ace (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Triss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triss

Lex
Another amazing book from Redwall! Unfortunately, they will never be any new ones. Quite recently, Brian Jacques passed away and part of my childhood died with them. The Redwall books literally got me through my horrible middle school years. Jacques was the first person I ever wrote fan mail to (he didn't reply but I got a lovely packet from the Redwall people with a cool bookmark). I started with either Redwall or the sequel of Mattimeo and continued reading endlessly from there. I thought I ha...more
Vincent Ribaya
Treetops and timber! Another fun and epic tale of Redwall.

Long after the events in Redwall, Triss tells the tale of the heroine Trisscar, and escaped squirrelmaid slave who will soon become the only Redwall Abbey heroine called up to wield the sword of the legendary co-founder of Redwall and the protector of Mossflower Woods, Martin the Warrior.

Triss makes a wonderful collection to the Redwall Book Series and it introduces a brand new set of lovable heroes, villains, and abbey-folk. Despite it b...more
Lauren
Ah, another tale from Redwall. I'm a huge fan, have been for a while, but it seems that almost all of them are the same - with quests, feasts, an Abbey riddle, an evil and cunning enemy (or two), but each book has it's own special flair. Triss is no exception, it is truly a good book, although if you've read the other 14 Redwall books, it feels as if you're almost reading the same thing again. Which isn't nessecarily a bad thing.

Triss is three stories that all come together, quite expertly, in t...more
Hannah
Interesting premises, although it wasn't as memorable as the rest of Jacques' other literary triumphs. Triss did not particularly stand out as an heroine, and I found myself just slightly bored towards the end.
Josiah
"Be thankful for the season,
And happy for the day,
Be grateful for the bounty,
Which comes to us this way.
Good food from the earth is grown,
And brought unto our table,
By honest toil and labour,
Let's eat, whilst we are able!"

―Abbot Apodemus, Triss, P. 17

Fifteen books into the Redwall series, the great Brian Jacques has not in any wise lost his spectacular feel for the flow of the English language. Utilizing every inch of the canvas that is the English lexicon, he paints gorgeous, sweeping...more
Jing
Oct 31, 2007 Jing rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure and a female protangonist
Shelves: advisory
This book is about a swordmaid named Triss. Once held as a slave in an place known as Riftgard, she escaped with some friends and vowed to return to free others confine in the place forced to work for a cruel king for life. The daughter of the king Agranu pursues her relentlessly. On the way. Trisscar met new friends and found waht she really was: a warrior. She was later involved in a quest to rediscover Brockhall the great home of the badgers. There, they fought three dreadful snakes and the...more
Hayley
I found this in a charity shop and bought it out of nostalgia as I loved the Redwall books when I was younger. I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. I'm not sure if it's because I'm 'too old' for it now but I do think it isn't as good as some of the other books in the series.

Jacques writing is beautiful, especially the poems, songs and descriptions. He also doesn't shy away from tackling adult topics like death, love, loyalty, revenge etc. However the written versions of different accents I f...more
Jesse Booth
It was great to relive the Redwall experience with Triss. It has been probably about 6 years since I read one of his books. As a young boy, this series was my favorite. I would save my money to buy each book that came out. I love the way he has the animals speak, how each race talks just a little bit different. Reading the descriptions on every type of food at feasts is quite enjoyable, too.

This book was good. I could not claim it as one of my favorites from Jacques, but it had some strong point...more
Emily Collins
This is the book that introduced me to Redwall. As an elementary school child I had no concept of what it meant to go through the series in chronological order, so it never really bothered me that I started reading about 10 books into the series (not that it really would make a difference with redwall). It drove my mother nuts however, and when she found that this was nowhere near the first book she went out and bought Redwall and Mossflower for me to read. So Triss sat unread in my bookshelf fo...more
Melisa
Aug 25, 2008 Melisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melisa by: my son's friend
Shelves: children
I have read many of the Redwall series to my son. This is our favorite! I won't list the others on my shelf because we have read so many they all blur and I can not remember which others we likes and which we didn't real well.

It is a violent series played out among forest dwelling creatures. But, the voices of the characters (especially the moles) are hilarious and for an older boy they were a great read! I started reading them when my son was 7 or 8.

We got bogged down by the first one "Redwall...more
Callie Conklin
RedwallFanGirl24

This book was awesome! I just love all of the characters in this story! It's every bit as action-packed as the other books in the series. I highly recommend it!
Linda Cee
This is one of those books that I can reread two or three times a year, why? Because the character's are completely engaging, they are some of his better thought out character's and it's easy to see their personalties with just a few words, I can't help but like pratically everyone except the white ferrets but even the corsairs are easy to root for (no matter that they are as evil or more so than Kurda)
My only problem is that this is one of those books that make me both laugh and cry so it's not...more
Janice
Triss is an awesome character.
:D
Piepie Beuttel
I liked the last two chapters of this book, how it was narrated by several of the characters I had met and come to love. They came from a coterie of places: Redwall Abbey, Salamandastron, and Riftgard- ruled by the cruel and cunning king Agarnu and his beastly children.

I'm so glad things ended well for Triss, Scarum, Sagax, Welfo, and others, and as always, my heart was touched by the bittersweet deaths of their friends and loved ones.

Love conquers all, and there is nothing higher than the code...more
Jamey
Once enslaved by Royal white Ferrets, Triss, Shogg and Welfo vow to one day return to Riftgard to free their fellow slaves. But first, they must flee the Pure Ferret Princess Kurda, who is pursuing them aboard a Freebooter's ship. The three friends go through many dangers, meet new friends, and of course, eventually make their way to Redwall. This is a tale of freedom, loyalty, and mystery with a little bit of romance thrown in. Just what Redwall fans would expect and have grown to love from Bri...more
Exanimis
Talking animals are not something I would normally enjoy reading about. My wife found this in a box of books for only $3.00 so I figured that I might as well give it a try.

This was surprisingly well written. I'll have to keep an eye out for more in this series.

Triss is a squirrel who was raised in slavery, when she escapes her captives, she promises to return one day and free the slaves. Hunted by her former master and a crew of freebooters, Triss must find her way to freedom before she is recap...more
Ben.c
Shelby
It's definitely a children's book, but it's still a thrilling story. There were parts that had me on the edge of my seat. I listened to it on audiobook narrated by Brian Jacques. Very nostalgic and wonderful. RIP Mr. Jacques. The songs had music and were catchy. The voices were very believable and I finally had the pronunciations of words that I've been curious about for forever. Anyways, if you're gonna read the Redwall series, I recommend the audiobooks highly.
Nux
Somehow I found the focus of this book to be all over the place. I was expecting Triss & her plight to save the slaves to be the main character of the story, turns out not really. That bit's only featured as a sideline. Hardly. Perhaps I would've given it more stars had it not been in Redwall series, but compared to the other stories in the series so far, this one's a bit of a dissapointment to me.
Sam
When i first picked up this book i thought it would be like all the other redwall books i'd read, just intro, adventure and a huge battle at the end. But as the book unfolded, it immediatly drew me in, mostly because the main character grows, and rises to the in more ditail than any of the others. How she does this is she starts off as a prisoner and through grand events, becomes a great warrior.
Donna Hunt
This has to be one of my favorites of the redwall series. So many good characters that touch your heart as they journey for freedom and justice. I am happy how Triss overcame her anger to deal with her enemies in an honorable way. and I love how the 'runaway' kids grew up and become true warriors in and out. Overall a great read by a truly creative writer.
Aeturnus
I won´t lie, I got a little choked up when Shogg died.
Andrew Tan
This book is an epic story about a squirrelmaid named Triss who escapes slavery from the evil princess Kurda. Triss soon finds herself in the woods of Mossflower as she is being pursued by Kurda and her spoiled brother prince Bladd. I thought that this was a fun book with lots of dialect from different characters.
Jessica Buike
Once again good trumps evil in this high-seas adventure set in the lands surrounding Redwall! This book follows along the same themes and lyrical style that makes Brian Jacques an incredible author, though perhaps it doesn't stand out as much as some of the other books. Still a great read for all ages.
Richard Houchin
The Redwall books ought to be a perennial children's favorite. They are simple and formulaic, but it's a good formula! Jacques has a real gift for dialect, and culinary descriptions. I credit an early fascination with the Redwall stories for my modern-day feats of gastronomic delight. "Salad anna scone!"
Darcy Stovall
I just really liked the Redwall series ok. Cute anthropomorphic woodland creatures with various British accents that you can read aloud in funny voices. What's not to love? Just skip over the long-winded details about the scenery at the beginning of every chapter, and everything's great.
Jared
This is part of the Redwall series. Now, that series is usually a series with some fights in it and one huge battle near the end. Bu, Triss is more about a couple slaves running away and being chased, so there aren't any big fights, although there are a couple skirmishes.
Sue
The special recipe that Brian Jacques uses to craft the Redwall series books always creates a delightful dish of a tale that never fails to entrance me. I feel summer coming on when I read them, as I started reading them during my first summers on my own in NJ. On to the next!
Katie
The book that killed Redwall for me. Granted, it wasn't as disappointing as Taggerung, but by this point I was too old to tolerate evil ferrets speaking Viktor Krum-ese. It was nice to have a female warrior, but otherwise it's the same tired Redwall fare.
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • Ragweed (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #0)
  • The Crystal Prison (The Deptford Mice, #2)
  • Firewing (Silverwing, #3)
  • The Restorer's Journey
  • The Seven Songs of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #2)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh...more
More about Brian Jacques...
Redwall (Redwall, #1) Mossflower (Redwall, #2) Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13) Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6) Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)

“Tis a far cry from home for a poor lonely thing,
O'er the deeps and wild waters of seas,
Where you can't hear your dear mother's voice softly sing
Like a breeze gently stirring the trees.

Come home, little one, wander back here someday,
I'll watch for you, each evening and morn,
Through all the long season 'til I'm old and grey
As the frost on the hedges at dawn.

There's a lantern that shines in my window at night,
I have long kept it burning for you,
It glows through the dark, like a clear guiding light,
And I know someday you'll see it, too.

So hasten back, little one, or I will soon be gone,
No more to see your dear face,
But I know that I'll feel your tears fall one by one,
On the flowers o'er my resting place.”
9 likes