Start by marking “The Hidden Land” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Land

The Hidden Land (The Secret Country #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The five cousins are still trapped in the Secret Country, and must play their parts. When the King is poisoned, Ted-Prince Edward-must take the throne, even though he has no idea how to rule a country, battle magic, or inspire followers. Soon enough he will have to do all three because the Country is on the verge of war with the treacherous Dragon King.
Published October 13th 2003 by Puffin Books (first published July 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Land

Cara M
"That talent of mine that in my country turns to sorcery, in yours turns to this making up." (italics mine).

Essentially, this and the Secret Country should have been one book. I would have still been furious with it for being desperately and deliciously subtle, but the jarring feeling of the beginning where the pov is a little less coherent wouldn't have happened. Also, they are entirely unsatisfying apart. Not that they are entirely satisfying together. But a lot of that has to do with, well, t
Grace
Well. This happened.

Ok, so this book very easily built on the first book. Dean is amazing. The plot is deceptively simple, yet you feel this sense of foreboding… only you don’t know where from. Too many subtleties for my little brain, maybe? Sub plots upon sub plots. Again, maybe that’s just me. It just seems like all of the pieces are put in front of you, only you can’t figure out what you’re looking at.

My favorite character (who is no longer Patrick, who I find quite irritating now) didn’t di
Helen Taylor
I enjoyed this volume much more than the first. The first was good but I felt it was all questions and no action. This one answered questions (resulting in more questions) and had a fair amount of action and danger.
ribbonknight
I can definitely see how this & The Secret Country were originally published as a single tome, & it probably reads better that way? Regardless, I liked this one just as much as the first. In addition to Dean's prose & her commentary on daily life ("the [people] melted away around them as cats leave the room when people began to quarrel"). I've been saying this a lot lately, but I was glad to find this & The Secret Country used so that I can reread them many times in the future. & ...more
Maki (of To - Ra - Ba)
The Hidden Land takes the premise of the first book, and makes everything bigger, the way a good sequel should. The stakes were higher, and the children were thrown entirely out of their elements - Ruth and Ted especially.

All of them are so completely in over their heads that their main goal is no longer to go along for the ride, but to get out of the Secret Country as soon as humanly possible. The game kind of loses its charm when it ceases to be a game.

Where the first book focused more on the
Lauren
This is a very direct continuation of the first book in the series. If you liked that one then you'll like this one and vice versa. That does get into the main problem of the trilogy, though: it really doesn't take three books to tell this story. It should take one.

While things start to pick up in this one, the novelty also wears off, and takes your patience with it. The pacing in this trilogy is truly terrible, and that is such a shame because it's a series with such wonderful potential. The ch
Elizabeth
Oh good—I liked this more than The Secret Country, which gives me hope that I'll like The Whim of the Dragon even more. The plot is tighter in this book and moves along at a better pace (well, a pace I liked better, anyway). We "know" the world now, so Dean can focus on the intrigue. In a way, there aren't that many surprises, since the children have been playing this story out for years before the start of the series, and they've been discussing what comes next all along. Still, watching them t ...more
Julie Davis
The second book in the Secret Country trilogy, The Hidden Land opens with the five cousins still playing their parts from the game they made up so long ago. Will Ted be able to change the King's mind in how battle will be waged? If not, can they persuade Randolph not to poison the King in order to "save" their country? And so forth and so on.

As in the first book, a great deal of the charm lies in watching the children try to change outcomes while dealing with the parts of their "story" personas
Delaina
This is the second of three books, and if you don't read them in order you're likely to get extremely lost. Five American cousins find their make-believe game is startlingly real as they find themselves living out their fantasy, but their true names, ages, and familial relationships are not the only things switched around in the Hidden Land. The confusion of symbols and un-plumbed layers from the first novel are fleshed out and more fully revealed as the kids gain a better understanding of how t ...more
Myles
This was an incredibly anticipated book for me, The Secret Country had been one of the great lost favorites of my childhood and I was finally going to be able to finish the story.

The big flaw with this book is its repetition, apparently The Hidden Land and The Secret Country were meant to be a single book, but were separated for unclear reasons (trilogy marketability?).

It would have worked much better combined, it would have saved a lot of unnecessary exposition and retreading that slowed thing
Krista Wayment
Aug 20, 2014 Krista Wayment rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fantasy
My Rating/Reviewing MO

The Secret Country series is an excellent story about a group of kids that are transported to a fantasy world. There they learn that their favorite game of make believe has come to life. But something is wrong. They must set things right.

This story is well written and captivating! Recommend to anyone who loves fantasy.
Fang Mcgee
Found it difficult to be invested in the courtly intrigue until the twist at the end. The pacing was uneven, with a lot of meandering and repetition that could have—should have—been excised. And I still can't tell the difference between the Laura and Ellen characters. Well, one more book in the trilogy to go.
Katharine
I was interrupted while reading The Hidden Land, and found it a little difficult to get back into the mood of the story for a while. The second book, as in any good trilogy, is a little darker and more melancholy, filled with uncertainty and mystery. The story progresses, but nothing is resolved yet.
Alarra
DUDE. >:( I was so angry at the ending of this that it negated my enjoyment of the meta of telling stories that most of the book deals with, as the kids find that the story their living in their fantasy land isn't the story they wrote originally. BUT THE ENDING. There is a third book, right?
Nancy
Although The Hidden Land is not quite as strong as The Secret Country, it still proves to be a strong and unique fantasy book. I can't wait to read the last book in the trilogy. Things seemed so final at the end of The Hidden Land. I have no idea where things are going to go next!
Stanley
This is the 2nd book to "The Secret Country" trilogy. The 5 cousins, Ted, Laura, Ruth, Patrick, and Ellen are trapped in their own invented game. They now have to play their own roles in hopes of finishing the game and return to their own world.
Tara
The second installation was so much better than the first. There were more action, the plot actually moved forward and I wasn't confused for the majority of the book like I was with the first part of the trilogy.
Nesannce Coon
This book packs in more surprises and riddles than before. You won't be able to not read the third book after you finish this one.
Kate
The second book in the Secret Country trilogy (see my review of The Secret Country).
Renae
Jan 06, 2010 Renae rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young and adult readers
See my review for The Secret Country Book 1 in this trilogy.
Anna-Marie
I didn't read all of it, I didn't really like it at all.
Kellyann
A bit better than the first one. 3 1/2 stars.
Helen
#2 in trilogy, awkward stopping point
Rachel
These are fantastic.
  • The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)
  • A Well-Timed Enchantment
  • Wren Journeymage (Wren, #4)
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • Untitled (Fairyland, #5)
  • The Spellcoats (The Dalemark Quartet, #3)
  • Sister Light, Sister Dark (Great Alta, #1)
  • The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
  • Courtship Rite
  • The Unlikely Ones (Pigs Don't Fly, #1)
  • Stormwitch
  • Bizenghast Volume 3
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • The Juniper Game
  • The White Raven
  • Crazy Jack
  • Song of Unmaking (White Magic, #2)
More about Pamela Dean...

The Secret Country (3 books)
  • The Secret Country (The Secret Country, #1)
  • The Whim of the Dragon (The Secret Country, #3)
Tam Lin The Secret Country (The Secret Country, #1) The Whim of the Dragon (The Secret Country, #3) Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary The Dubious Hills